• Show
Clear All

• Astros Fans email I received at work

Subject: Sound of Silence

People.friends I guess. Or at the very least people who have been around me
    for some time and really know me, realize that I am the kind of person who
    is always waiting for the other shoe to fall. People who don't really know
    me think I am positive and upbeat. But those of you who have had to share
    life with me, you know I am always calculating what will happen next. And so
    often I am calculating what could go wrong next.

All of this makes it difficult for me to enjoy the good times in my life
    because the percentages are there for all to see that life is filled with
    good and bad. At best we can only hope that the percentages are just a
    little bit in our favor. Therefore, I think it is only natural for me to
    assume that if it is good right now, it must follow that soon it will be bad
    again.

A lot of us look to diversions in life to help entertain us or at the very
    least distract us. We only ask that those moments we spend away from our
    everyday life brings us some joy. Baseball, the American pastime. There is
    no other sport in life that is so filled with percentages. Won loss records,
    earned run averages, batting averages, batting averages with runners in
    scoring position: it goes on forever. Hell, they even keep track of batting
    averages in the last three innings during the daytime on the road versus at
    home.

Sometimes a player for the home team hits a long fly ball giving thousands
    with depth perception problems false hope that this one is going yard. These
    are often called a "loud out". But every now and then a player connects and
    the diehard fan along with the novice knows, this one is out of here. The
    "No Doubter". The kind of home run that knocks the lights out and causes
    sparks to descend from the sky.

So with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning at home with the roof
    closed in front of 43,187 screaming towel waving fans the leagues best
    closer hangs a slider and ends the Astros nation's dream of a trip to the
    world series. St. Louis Cardinal Pujols hits the no doubter. Hell if the
    roof hadn't been closed it would have done an Elvis and left the building.
    Instead of sparks descending from the sky, Pujols turned out the lights.
    43,187 screaming fans went silent at the flip of a switch.
    Never in the
    history of mankind have so many sat down in unison. It was like the preacher
    telling the congregation, "You may all be seated" and with heads bowed they
    all sat down.

I don't always appreciate the all blessings I have in my life. Family,
    health, a roof over my head, a good job. The very fact that I live in this
    country puts the quality of my life ahead of hundreds of millions of people
    who live in this world. I try to find hope in my everyday life that things
    will on occasion go well for me. You know a winning streak. But by its very
    definition a winning streaks end by loosing. The best hitter in baseball is
    going to fail at the plate over 65% of the time. And yet last night with two
    outs three men in a row succeeded and today life goes on.

All I can say for the St. Louis Cardinals is, I hope the next sound you hear
    is the other shoe falling.

Our KBF has a better command of the English language. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

He's no Kenny Boyer Fan.
      I know KBF...
      and he's no KBF!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

By the way, has anyone contacted the authorities and placed this guy on suicide watch?

I feel like personally calling the guy and telling him to stop ruining my high. What a downer.

And the whole "other shoe" falling thing.

LVR, you can't be too pleased by this. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep - if you put this guy and KBF to a battle of the pens (or keyboards), this guy would "loose" every time.

Of course, to be fair, this guy can't exactly wax poetic about the proud memories of Wild Cards past, and about summoning the ghosts of Minute Maid (Enron) Park .

Comment

dennywallingfan just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 18 2005, 03:57 PM) Quoted post

dennywallingfan just doesn't have the same ring to it.
              [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

You beat me to it.
              Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 18 2005, 02:47 PM) Quoted post

Subject: Sound of Silence

People.friends I guess. Or at the very least people who have been around me
                for some time and really know me, realize that I am the kind of person who
                is always waiting for the other shoe to fall. People who don't really know
                me think I am positive and upbeat. But those of you who have had to share
                life with me, you know I am always calculating what will happen next. And so
                often I am calculating what could go wrong next.

All of this makes it difficult for me to enjoy the good times in my life
                because the percentages are there for all to see that life is filled with
                good and bad. At best we can only hope that the percentages are just a
                little bit in our favor. Therefore, I think it is only natural for me to
                assume that if it is good right now, it must follow that soon it will be bad
                again.

A lot of us look to diversions in life to help entertain us or at the very
                least distract us. We only ask that those moments we spend away from our
                everyday life brings us some joy. Baseball, the American pastime. There is
                no other sport in life that is so filled with percentages. Won loss records,
                earned run averages, batting averages, batting averages with runners in
                scoring position: it goes on forever. Hell, they even keep track of batting
                averages in the last three innings during the daytime on the road versus at
                home.

Sometimes a player for the home team hits a long fly ball giving thousands
                with depth perception problems false hope that this one is going yard. These
                are often called a "loud out". But every now and then a player connects and
                the diehard fan along with the novice knows, this one is out of here. The
                "No Doubter". The kind of home run that knocks the lights out and causes
                sparks to descend from the sky.

So with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning at home with the roof
                closed in front of 43,187 screaming towel waving fans the leagues best
                closer hangs a slider and ends the Astros nation's dream of a trip to the
                world series. St. Louis Cardinal Pujols hits the no doubter. Hell if the
                roof hadn't been closed it would have done an Elvis and left the building.
                Instead of sparks descending from the sky, Pujols turned out the lights.
                43,187 screaming fans went silent at the flip of a switch.
                Never in the
                history of mankind have so many sat down in unison. It was like the preacher
                telling the congregation, "You may all be seated" and with heads bowed they
                all sat down.

I don't always appreciate the all blessings I have in my life. Family,
                health, a roof over my head, a good job. The very fact that I live in this
                country puts the quality of my life ahead of hundreds of millions of people
                who live in this world. I try to find hope in my everyday life that things
                will on occasion go well for me. You know a winning streak. But by its very
                definition a winning streaks end by loosing. The best hitter in baseball is
                going to fail at the plate over 65% of the time. And yet last night with two
                outs three men in a row succeeded and today life goes on.

All I can say for the St. Louis Cardinals is, I hope the next sound you hear
                is the other shoe falling.
                [/b][/quote]

Not Tomorrow, Pal.

And Not The Day After Tomorrow, Either.
                "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Nope, we'll be ready for them again

NOT tomorrow, NOR the day after, will we give up

Comment

this guy can't hold KBF's jock.

KBF's "not today" was uplifting, got people fired up. this guy's was melancholy.
                    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Working...
                    X