• Show
Clear All

• The Sporting News Awards

2005 MLB Awards
    2005 MLB Awards

By Stan McNeal - SportingNews

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Andruw Jones, CF, Braves

At 28, Jones had the breakout season the Braves had hoped for since he was a 19-year-old World Series star. He brought a widened stance into spring training and stuck with it even after a slow April. His persistence paid off. Jones led the majors with 51 homers -- a franchise record -- and the National League with 128 RBIs. He was the first big-leaguer since Alex Rodriguez in 2002 to top 50 homers and became the 12th player to reach 300 career homers before age 30.

What set Jones apart was how he elevated his game when he was needed most. He carried the offense through June when Chipper Jones was out, and he hit an N.L.-best 10 homers in close-and-late situations. He also continued to play center field as well as anyone in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

The top five
    Voted on by 498 major leaguers
    1. Andruw Jones, CF, Braves (194 1/2 votes)
    2. Derrek Lee, 1B, Cubs (126)
    3. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals (63)
    4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees (38)
    5. David Ortiz, DH, Red Sox (35 1/2)

All-Stars

American League

1B: Mark Teixeira, Rangers
    2B: Brian Roberts, Orioles
    SS: Michael Young, Rangers
    3B: Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
    OF: Johnny Damon, Red Sox
    OF: Vladimir Guerrero, Angels
    OF: Manny Ramirez, Red Sox
    C: Jason Varitek, Red Sox
    DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox --
    Reliever: Mariano Rivera, Yankees, and Joe Nathan, Twins (tie)

National League 1B: Albert Pujols, Cardinals
    2B: Jeff Kent, Dodgers
    SS: Felipe Lopez, Reds
    3B: Morgan Ensberg, Astros
    OF: Andruw Jones, Braves
    OF: Miguel Cabrera, Marlins
    OF: Ken Griffey, Reds
    C: Paul Lo Duca, Marlins
    Reliever: Chad Cordero, Nationals

AL MANAGER OF THE YEAR

Ozzie Guillen, White Sox

Preaching his brand of Ozzieball -- heart, brains and guts -- Guillen, a second-year manager, transformed a staid, station-to-station group into an all-for-one, aggressive club. Guillen, 41, kept his team in control when its 15-game lead in the AL Central was cut to 1 1/2 in September; the Sox won their last five games and finished with an AL-best 99 victories.

"He did a tremendous job with the team he has, and he gets the best out of his players," Indians manager Eric Wedge wrote on his ballot.

The top three
    Voted on by all 14 AL managers
    1. Ozzie Guillen, White Sox (6 votes)
    2. Ken Macha, A's (5)
    3. Eric Wedge, Indians (2)

NL MANAGER OF THE YEAR

Bobby Cox, Atlanta Braves

The Braves entered the season in the unfamiliar role of underdog, then had to break in 18 rookies and overcome injuries to their pitching staff. Cox, 64, still guided his club to its 14th consecutive division title. He called this season the most satisfying of his career because of the challenges his team overcame.

His fellow NL managers were impressed, voting him the league's top manager for the fourth consecutive year and eighth time overall. "Due respect to the best manager in the NL," Giants manager Felipe Alou wrote on his ballot.

The top three
    Voted on by all 16 NL managers
    1. Bobby Cox, Braves (12 1/2 votes)
    2. Ned Yost, Brewers (3)
    3. Phil Garner, Astros (1/2)

AL PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Bartolo Colon, RHP, Angels

When the pennant races heated up, so did Colon. Living up to the expectations of a No. 1 starter, he was 9-2 after July 31.

Colon, 32, was the AL's only 20-game winner, going 21-8 with a 3.48 ERA. It was his second 20-victory season. Colon also ranked among the top 10 AL starters in innings, strikeouts, ERA and WHIP.

The top three
    1. Bartolo Colon, RHP, Angels (130)
    2. Mark Buehrle, LHP, White Sox (18)
    3. Johan Santana, LHP, Twins (13)

NL PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Chris Carpenter, RHP, Cardinals

Healthy for a full season for the first time since 2001, Carpenter enjoyed a career year. He went 21-5 -- reaching 20 for the first time -- with a 2.83 ERA. He was second in the NL in wins and strikeouts and tied for second in innings pitched.

From mid-May to early September, Carpenter, 30, was dominant, going 22 consecutive starts without allowing more than three earned runs. He was at his best against other top pitchers, beating Roger Clemens twice and Dontrelle Willis once.

The top three
    1. Chris Carpenter, RHP, Cardinals (179)
    2. Dontrelle Willis, LHP, Marlins (63)
    3. Roger Clemens, RHP, Astros (29)

AL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Huston Street, RHP, A's

Everyone figured Street, 22, was going to be a top big-league closer. Not many figured it would be so soon. But when Octavio Dotel injured his elbow in May, Street -- just one year out of college -- got the job.

Street led all rookies with 23 saves, in 27 opportunities, and he held opponents to a .194 batting average while recording a 1.72 ERA.

The top three
    1. Huston Street, RHP, A's (86)
    2. Jonny Gomes, RF, Devil Rays, (33)
    3. Dan Johnson, 1B, A's (21)

NL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Willy Taveras, CF, Astros

If he didn't make Astros fans forget about Carlos Beltran, Taveras certainly lessened the disappointment.

Possibly the league's fastest player, Taveras, 23, provided a spark as the leadoff man or No. 2 hitter in the order. He led the majors with 71 infield hits and was tops among rookies in runs, hits and stolen bases, and he hit .291. He also proved to be an exceptional fielder.

The top three
    1. Willy Taveras, CF, Astros (124)
    2. Jeff Francoeur, RF, Braves (78)
    3. Ryan Howard, 1B, Phillies (31)

AL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Jason Giambi, 1B/DH, Yankees

This is a tale of two comebacks -- first, from a variety of ailments that caused Giambi to miss 82 games in 2004, then from early-season struggles that had the Yankees wanting to send him to the minors. (Giambi refused.)

Giambi, 34, finished with 32 homers, 87 RBIs and a .271 average. He also led the majors with 108 walks and a .440 on-base percentage.

The top three
    1. Jason Giambi, 1B/DH, Yankees (83)
    2. Richie Sexson, 1B, Mariners (47)
    3. Bob Wickman, RHP, Indians (26)

NL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Ken Griffey, CF, Reds

Apparently, all Griffey needed to do to return to elite status was stay healthy. After being limited to 83 or fewer games in each of the past three seasons, Griffey, 35, appeared in 128 in 2005. His numbers looked like those of someone who played more frequently. He hit 35 homers, drove in 92 runs and batted .301. His .576 slugging percentage ranked fourth in the league.

The top three
    1. Ken Griffey, CF, Reds (189)
    2. Tony Clark, 1B, Diamondbacks (22)
    3. Todd Jones, RHP, Marlins (21)

AL All-Stars and Rookie, Pitcher and Comeback Player of the Year Awards are based on voting by 221 American League players; NL based on voting by 277 National League players. [/b][/quote]

Saw this posted over at BOTB
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

I find it so hard to believe that Andruw Jones is that much better than Albert.

LOL.

Anyone but a Cardinal!

Originally posted by TheSportingNews
    What set Jones apart was how he elevated his game when he was needed most.
    LOL. .207 w/ RISP.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

If that was Andrew last night - it would have been a K.

Comment

Whata fucking joke. Andruw Jones POY?

As if.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Hhahahah. And the stupid writers are snippy about it.

Sir:
          It's a regular season award. And try and have a little class, your team does.

Enjoy the remaining games,
          Peter Abraham

-----Original Message-----
          Sent: Tue 10/18/2005 11:16 AM
          To: Abraham, Peter
          Cc:
          Subject: Re: Pujols/Jones

Pete,

I'm just writing to apologize. You were right, Andruw Jones was
          definitely more valuable than Pujols.

Not sure what I was thinking. Sorry to have bothered you,

Ben

Abraham, Peter wrote:

>Ben:
          > Thanks for reading and you make some great points. My vote was based more on talking to players from both teams and watching a lot of games. The Braves were so young and had so many problems this season and played in a very good division. Andruw's leadership and the many times he helped win critical games swayed me. No knock on Pujols, who I would take first if I was starting a team. I just think that in this season, Jones was more "valuable" than Pujols was by a notch.
          > Also, being the leading base-stealer among first baseman is like being the most athletic sportswriter. Not exactly a big deal.
          > Thanks for the e-mail and enjoy the playoffs,
          > Pete Abraham
          >[/b][/quote]
          The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 18 2005, 02:52 PM) Quoted post

Whata fucking joke. Andruw Jones POY?

As if.
            [/b][/quote]

What's bizzare is that the vote by the players wasn't even close. Jones ran away with it. Note also that TLR did not get a single vote by any of the other managers.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

$#@$# That's not even the stupid writers?
              The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Comment

Sir:
                It's a regular season award.[/b][/quote]
                Exactly, and Pujols was better in the regular season, too
                Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Oct 18 2005, 02:53 PM) Quoted post

Hhahahah. And the stupid writers are snippy about it.

Sir:
                  It's a regular season award. And try and have a little class, your team does.

Enjoy the remaining games,
                  Peter Abraham

-----Original Message-----
                  Sent: Tue 10/18/2005 11:16 AM
                  To: Abraham, Peter
                  Cc:
                  Subject: Re: Pujols/Jones

Pete,

I'm just writing to apologize. You were right, Andruw Jones was
                  definitely more valuable than Pujols.

Not sure what I was thinking. Sorry to have bothered you,

Ben

Abraham, Peter wrote:

>Ben:
                  > Thanks for reading and you make some great points. My vote was based more on talking to players from both teams and watching a lot of games. The Braves were so young and had so many problems this season and played in a very good division. Andruw's leadership and the many times he helped win critical games swayed me. No knock on Pujols, who I would take first if I was starting a team. I just think that in this season, Jones was more "valuable" than Pujols was by a notch.
                  > Also, being the leading base-stealer among first baseman is like being the most athletic sportswriter. Not exactly a big deal.
                  > Thanks for the e-mail and enjoy the playoffs,
                  > Pete Abraham
                  >[/b][/quote]
                  [/b][/quote]

Way to go Reb, piss off the writer.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Yes Baseball players, guys who actually play the game, they have no clue. LOL

What set Jones apart was how he elevated his game when he was needed most. He carried the offense through June when Chipper Jones was out, and he hit an N.L.-best 10 homers in close-and-late situations. He also continued to play center field as well as anyone in the game.

[/b][/quote]

And that is what I have been saying all along, it's about the V in MVP, it's not about the best player (Pujols) it's about who stepped up, who went beyond what they normally do, who carried their team when they needed it most. Agree or disagree he did those things.

But I still think then the writers vote it will be much closer. But as an Andruw fan I like that his peers said he is the man.
                    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Voted on by 498 major leaguers
                      1. Andruw Jones, CF, Braves (194 1/2 votes)
                      2. Derrek Lee, 1B, Cubs (126)
                      3. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals (63)

The difference in the number of votes is beyond comical.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Oct 18 2005, 03:17 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

And that is what I have been saying all along, it's about the V in MVP, it's not about the best player (Pujols) it's about who stepped up, who went beyond what they normally do, who carried their team when they needed it most. Agree or disagree he did those things.

But I still think then the writers vote it will be much closer. But as an Andruw fan I like that his peers said he is the man.
                        [/b][/quote]

Suck Hillary's dick, madyaks.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think this was called a Player of the Year award. Not sure what the distinction is, but I guess there probably is some difference. Of course it is tough to ignore 51 dingers & 128 rbis.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                            So if Albert were the better player, how could Andruw be more valuable?

To me, there isn't a distinction between MVP and Player of the Year.

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 18 2005, 03:20 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think this was called a Player of the Year award. Not sure what the distinction is, but I guess there probably is some difference. Of course it is tough to ignore 51 dingers & 128 rbis. [/b][/quote]

Yeah but I think it is their MVP award just different name, or they wouldn't have talked about him elevating his game, and how he carried the team, if it was just best player it would have been a stats only driven conversation. And that would or should go to Pujols, but as you say 51 and 128, two legs of the triple crown is kinda big too.
                              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X