• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheney may be target of probe

Cheney may be target of probe

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK, THOMAS M. DeFRANK and KENNETH R. BAZINET
    DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - A special prosecutor's intensifying focus into who outed a CIA spy has raised questions whether Vice President Cheney himself is involved, knowledgeable sources confirmed yesterday.
    At least one source and one reporter who have testified in the probe said U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is pursuing Cheney's role in the Valerie Plame affair.

In addition, at least six current and former Cheney staffers - most members of the White House Iraq Group - have testified before the grand jury, including the vice president's top honcho, Lewis (Scooter) Libby, and two top Cheney national security lieutenants.

Cheney's name has come up amid indications Fitzgerald may be edging closer to a blockbuster conspiracy charge - with help from a secret snitch.

"They have got a senior cooperating witness - someone who is giving them all of that," a source who has been questioned in the leak probe told the Daily News yesterday.

Cheney was questioned last year byprosecutors and has hired a private attorney, former colleague Terrence O'Donnell, who declined to comment when contacted by The News.

Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride only offered the standard canned response that her boss is cooperating.

Libby and President Bush's political mastermind Karl Rove remain the focus of the probe into whether Plame's cover was blown in a scheme to embarrass her husband, ex-Ambassador Joseph Wilson, who debunked claims that Iraq tried to buy nuclear materials in Niger.

Libby is often described as "Cheney's Cheney," a loyal and discreet lieutenant who shares his boss's hard-line philosophy and bareknuckle attitude toward political enemies of the Bush administration.

Cheney and Libby spend hours together in the course of a day, which causes sources who know both men very well to assert that any attempts to discredit Wilson would almost certainly have been known to the vice president.

"Scooter wouldn't be freelancing on this without Cheney's knowledge," a source told the Daily News. "It was probably some off-the-cuff thing: 'This guy [Wilson] could be a problem.'"

The News reported in July that Libby was "totally obsessed with Wilson."

Whether that obsession amounts to criminal misconduct will be decided by Fitzgerald - but if Libby is indicted or implicated in wrongdoing, Cheney's reputation will suffer as well.

Originally published on October 18, 2005
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy.

Comment

what ever happened to the delay and rove stuff? seems like a moving target.

Comment

QUOTE(dooz @ Oct 18 2005, 09:22 AM) Quoted post
        what ever happened to the delay and rove stuff? seems like a moving target. [/b][/quote]

Who says the targets are moving? Rove and Delay have already been lined up for the firing squad.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 18 2005, 09:23 AM) Quoted post

what ever happened to the delay and rove stuff? seems like a moving target. [/b][/quote]

Who says the targets are moving? Rove and Delay have already been lined up for the firing squad.
          [/b][/quote]

seems like Ronnie Earl loaded the guns with blanks in the Delay case. funny how it disappeared from the spotlight.

Comment

QUOTE(dooz @ Oct 18 2005, 09:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

seems like Ronnie Earl loaded the guns with blanks in the Delay case. funny how it disappeared from the spotlight.
            [/b][/quote]

The courts are just prioritizing the crooks right now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]
            Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

[/b][/quote]

seems like Ronnie Earl loaded the guns with blanks in the Delay case. funny how it disappeared from the spotlight. [/b][/quote]

Of course, disappearing from the spotlight doesn't mean the case is dead.

Funny how the media runs with the hottest story at the moment.

Comment

what ever happened to the delay and rove stuff? seems like a moving target.
                [/b][/quote]

I wonder who will be whose bitch? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3989740&nav=1TjD

AUSTIN Congressman Tom DeLay likely will be booked into a Texas jail this week -- despite his legal attempts to bypass the fingerprinting and mug shot process.[/b][/quote]

Also in the news is that he passed up a misdemeanor plea
                  “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Sounds very ominous. An insider.

I still find it hard to believe that people are willing to call the whole thing a non-issue to begin with because Plame wasn't under cover. Never in danger. Everyone knew she was with the CIA (even Miller, who wrote her name down as Flame because she knew it so well).

In other words, if this turns out to be a case of WH getting back at Wilson, then they did something very very wrong.

Treasonous.

Independent of Plame's status.

The did it from a position of power in order to strike back at and control someone else and hide the fact that they built the case for war on a pile of camel shit.
                    No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                    President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                    President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 18 2005, 09:28 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

No doubt. Whatever happened to Mother Sheehan?
                      "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

I am glad she is out of the news.

The "liberal media" was doing the right a favor by constantly reporting on the stupid things she says and making her a spokesman for all those that dont back the Iraq war.
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

QUOTE(Razzy @ Oct 18 2005, 09:37 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Me too. I respect the legitimate anti-war crowd -- but she was making you all look like fools.
                          "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

QUOTE(Razzy @ Oct 18 2005, 09:37 AM) Quoted post

The "liberal media" was doing the right a favor by constantly reporting on the stupid things she says and making her a spokesman for all those that dont back the Iraq war.
                            [/b][/quote]

are you as ignorant as this post indicates that you are?

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 18 2005, 09:35 AM) Quoted post
                              QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 18 2005, 09:28 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

No doubt. Whatever happened to Mother Sheehan?
                              [/b][/quote]

The vapors bothering you Far?

Comment

Working...
                              X