Un. Be. Fu$king. Leavable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Un. Be. Fu$king. Leavable.

About 25 minutes ago, I was here writing a message about another year of disappointment. About a year that, while certainly ending with a disappointing finish by a seemingly underachieving team, they had overachieved all year given all the starters that were out and the AAA lineup they used time and time again. About me not begruding the Astro fans this trip to the series, for as much as we bemoan the lack of a title since 1982, they haven't even *made* the dance. And I was about to finish with a point about how the Cardinals still have a good core of players that can challange for the title each year, and one of these years, you figure the Gods of Baseball have to shine on us, and at least let us enter the post-season healthy, and avoid the multitude of freak injuries that have plagued this team postseason after postseason.

And granted, part of me started this message because I seem to have about a 60% 'failure' rate when doing this - in other words, part of it is the hope that I'm proven wrong. It doesn't work every time, but more often than it doesn't, or at least it seems.

In fact, I remember thinking in the seventh inning when the Astros took that 4-2 lead, that that could even play into the Cardinals' hands, as losing a lead like that could be devastating to this team, whereas losing a well-pitched 2-1 game might not be enough to keep them from winning on Wednesday. However, things looked pretty bleak with two straight strikeouts, and and 1-2 count to Ekstien. One strike away from another season of disappointment - which was the title of my previous thread.

But this is the team that just simply won't give up.

Eckstien simply goes with a ptich, and hits it just hard enough to get it past the infield. But Edmonds is now at the plate, and he hasn't done much of anything this post season. I'm almost expecting a strikeout, or a first-pitch ground out, ala game 3. Instead we get what may be his best at bat and earns a walk, and up comes Pujols, who failed in an earlier at bat with two on and no out. And there was a quick strike to Pujols.

And then Pujols hit a ball that, if not for the roof of that place, may not have actually landed yet.

The biggest home run I've ever seen in my life. And the Cards live on to extend the life of the current Busch Stadium.

And this loss *has* to, in fact, be devastating to the Astros. When reflecting on the comeback the Red Sox pulled off against the Yankees last year, Bill Simmons mentioned that for someone to be the first team to come back from an 0-3 deficit, you needed to have some surrealism to the game. Remember, Boston was also down to their last few outs, and all of a sudden a guy gets on base against a releiver that had previous had their number. And then gets a stolen base when everyone in the stadium knew he was running. Then a few hits later, Boston had picked themselves off the mat to live another day, with a lot of momentum, and the other team is dealt a crushing blow when they were making their reservation for another World Series.

This team was even closer to the edge - one strike away. Down two runs, Ekstiens stolen base was meaningless. The walk, however, wasn't. And Pulols may never see a perfect slider like that again in his life. But Lidge kept with his 'go to' pitch when his fastballs to Edmonds couldn't find the plate. This was truly a devastating loss. And now they have to hop on a plane, and fly into enemy territory for two tough games.

The Astros still have two of the best pitchers in the league going Wednesday and, possibly, Thursday. But the Astros no longer will have the Crawford boxes, and won't have the hill in CF to help them out. And if this game stays 2-1, I don't know if I pick the Cards to win in Game 6.

I won't count them out, but comebacks - and collapses - are created from games like this.
    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.
Working...
X