Denkinger Forgiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denkinger Forgiveness

I am a lifelong Cardinals fan. I've been in this world for over 40 years and have followed the Cardinals incessantly for 34 of those years. I freely admit that I blamed Don Denkinger for what happened in the 1985 World Series and I've harbored that resentment ever since. But something told me last night while watching us implode versus the Astros and seeing yet another poor umpiring performance adding to the teams downfall, that we all need to exorcise this ghost once and for all. I am hereby forgiving Denkinger for his one bad call and moving on. I'm convinced that our bad fortune in the playoffs started by his call and has continued to this day.

The ESPN story that ran last night (on the Denkinger call and how it personally affected him and his family quite dramatically) showed just why it isn't a good thing to blame one person for a teams demise. It also made me understand deep down that the Cards had numerous opportunities to put game 6 away AFTER the bad call and they simply did not do it. Also, they played horribly in game 7 and basically didn't even show up. The players and coaches are to blame for that, not Denkinger. Therefore, I'm moving on and forgiving Mr. Denkinger and his family for blaming him for the Cards losing the 1985 World Series. The team had the chance to overcome that call and they failed. I blame them for the loss.

Now let's go out and win tonight and start a new winning streak.
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Yes, may Denkinger rest in peace.

Oh, he's not dead?

Well, whenever.

Comment

an umpire cost a team a world series.

That's unforgivable. I don't care how he and his family feel about it.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 17 2005, 12:29 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

But to blame him for the WS loss is wrong, BBZ. Yes, he made a bad call, BUT the Cards had numerous opportunities to still win that game. PLUS, they had a chance to win game 7 as well. They failed on every try.
        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 17 2005, 12:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

But to blame him for the WS loss is wrong, BBZ. Yes, he made a bad call, BUT the Cards had numerous opportunities to still win that game. PLUS, they had a chance to win game 7 as well. They failed on every try.
          [/b][/quote]

So you're saying that if it were the last out, then it would be OK to still blame him?
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Even though I was very young to remember 1985, I'm willing to forgive him. Hopefully we will have better october results in the future..

Comment

Fuck Denkinger and fuck any other umpire that takes the game out of the players hands and puts it in their own...

There is a reason why you wear a mask dickhead...nobody wants to see you.

Umpires are nothing but wannabe athletes that could not cut it in uniform on the team so they attempt to make an impact and have a little contrived power wearing blue...Fuck them all...

I am fired up now...my dog better hope I don't see anything that look like uprights when I see him...
              "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

QUOTE(CRC11 @ Oct 17 2005, 12:35 PM) Quoted post

Fuck Denkinger and fuck any other umpire that takes the game out of the players hands and puts it in their own...

There is a reason why you wear a mask dickhead...nobody wants to see you.

Umpires are nothing but wannabe athletes that could not cut it in uniform on the team so they attempt to make an impact and have a little contrived power wearing blue...Fuck them all...

I am fired up now...my dog better hope I don't see anything that look like uprights when I see him...
                [/b][/quote]
                ++

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 17 2005, 12:22 PM) Quoted post

The ESPN story that ran last night (on the Denkinger call and how it personally affected him and his family quite dramatically) showed just why it isn't a good thing to blame one person for a teams demise. [/b][/quote]

Glad to see he got my letters. He never wrote back, so I assumed they got lost in the mail.

Comment

I am a lifelong Cardinals fan. I've been in this world for over 40 years and have followed the Cardinals incessantly for 34 of those years. I freely admit that I blamed Don Denkinger for what happened in the 1985 World Series and I've harbored that resentment ever since. But something told me last night while watching us implode versus the Astros and seeing yet another poor umpiring performance adding to the teams downfall, that we all need to exorcise this ghost once and for all. I am hereby forgiving Denkinger for his one bad call and moving on. I'm convinced that our bad fortune in the playoffs started by his call and has continued to this day.

The ESPN story that ran last night (on the Denkinger call and how it personally affected him and his family quite dramatically) showed just why it isn't a good thing to blame one person for a teams demise. It also made me understand deep down that the Cards had numerous opportunities to put game 6 away AFTER the bad call and they simply did not do it. Also, they played horribly in game 7 and basically didn't even show up. The players and coaches are to blame for that, not Denkinger. Therefore, I'm moving on and forgiving Mr. Denkinger and his family for blaming him for the Cards losing the 1985 World Series. The team had the chance to overcome that call and they failed. I blame them for the loss.

[/b][/quote]

Well, I moved on in 1985 myself, but F him. He blew it, it was horrible, it wasn't even close, so he needs to live with it. Also, I not so sure is was an accidental bad call. Who knows!

Also, the argument that they played horrible in game 7, or had other opportunities to put game 6 away is so very weak. Because..........they shouldn't of had to. Anything that happened after that point is is a cause and effect issue because that call was so bad it obviously affected everything after that. Denkinger cost the birds a series win, and as the great steroid abuser said..... Period!
                    I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

Gosh, if only this one game were an aberration in the way the Cards have been playing then I might be a little more angry at Mr. Bad Umpire Man, but the Cards get the whole ration of fault if they bow out of this series.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Oct 17 2005, 12:38 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Well, I moved on in 1985 myself, but F him. He blew it, it was horrible, it wasn't even close, so he needs to live with it. Also, I not so sure is was an accidental bad call. Who knows!

Also, the argument that they played horrible in game 7, or had other opportunities to put game 6 away is so very weak. Because..........they shouldn't of had to. Anything that happened after that point is is a cause and effect issue because that call was so bad it obviously affected everything after that. Denkinger cost the birds a series win, and as the great steroid abuser said..... Period!
                        [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cubs.gif[/img]

Moon

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Agreed. Denkinger blew the call pure and simple. As bad as it was, I didn't harbor ill will towards him, mostly because I thought of it as straightforward error on the umpire. It happens. I was more irate at the Angels game because, unlike the Denkinger mistake, the umps could have done the right thing by correcting the call. I am not even a fan of the Angels but that was a travesty of justice. The ump last night was just plain incompetent. He made bad calls all night.
                          "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Shit. I could gives a rats ass about the umpires. Players win or lose the game.

but if you think a) I will forgive or b) I won't call him and his mama names because of his bone headed fuck up, you haven't been paying attention.
                            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(dhaab @ Oct 17 2005, 12:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

But to blame him for the WS loss is wrong, BBZ. Yes, he made a bad call, BUT the Cards had numerous opportunities to still win that game. PLUS, they had a chance to win game 7 as well. They failed on every try. [/b][/quote]

++
                              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X