Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonds says no evil, but he thinks it

Edmonds says no evil, but he thinks it

HOUSTON -- St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds took a subtle shot at umpire Phil Cuzzi after the game without having to mention his name.

In talking about the umpiring crew, he praised crew chief Tim McClelland and umpire Wally Bell as two of the best in the business. Omitting Cuzzi showed where he stood in Edmonds' appraisal.

"I was mad to get tossed without saying much,'' Edmonds said of his eighth-inning heave-ho with a 3-2 count. "We're supposed to be able to argue and go back and forth and be professional. I wasn't trying to make a scene or show him up. It was pretty loud [in the stadium]. It was an unfortunate incident.

"That crew is a veteran crew and do a good job. Just a tough day right there. This was a big game. I just want to be treated fair. Wally and McClelland are about as good as they get -- on and off the field.''

SNEAK THIEF: When Larry Walker took advantage of the Houston Astros snoozing in the ninth after tagging out Albert Pujols trying to score on a ground ball, he took a chance that somebody might notice him trying to go from second to third. Walker started out on first when the grounder to third baseman Morgan Ensberg resulted in Pujols being thrown out at the plate.

If the Cardinals had tied or won the game, Walker would have been a hero for getting to third with one out. Instead, it didn't matter when the game ended on a double play.

"It could have been a really dumb play, too,'' Walker said. "If I get thrown out, I'm an idiot. The crowd noise was to my benefit.''

BOUNCING BACK: Andy Pettitte, who starts for Houston tonight against Cy Young Award candidate Chris Carpenter, acknowledged there remains swelling in his right knee. Pettitte started Game 1 of the National League Championship Series despite being hit in that knee during batting practice by a Roy Oswalt drive. Pettitte doesn't expect the knee to be a factor and hopes to be much better with his location than he was in the loss Wednesday.

"I left a lot of balls right in the hitting zone,'' he said. "I was so bad, I can't get a read off that.''

Pettitte said he wouldn't run the bases during BP today.

KING ALBERT: Character is supposed to be one of the factors that MVP voters consider. In that case, some voters might want to change their votes based on how Pujols has conducted himself in the NLCS. While Pujols is almost certain to be the NL MVP with writers already having cast their votes, his actions in the Cardinals' clubhouse Saturday after a 4-3 loss were disgraceful.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Pujols badgered the few media members in a deserted clubhouse.

"Media, get in a corner,'' Pujols said. "Get in one of the corners so we can walk through.''

The paper added that Pujols directed sarcastic remarks toward reporters trying to ask questions of third baseman Hector Luna, whose throwing error was a big turning point in Game 3. The Post-Dispatch also noted that Pujols has refused to take questions after losses to the Astros in Games 2 and 3. He did talk after the Game 4 defeat.

OFF BASE: Some Florida papers have been speculating that New York Yankees bench coach Joe Girardi could turn down impending managing offers from both the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in order to keep his options open to replace Cubs manager Dusty Baker after the 2006 season.

"There's other opportunities I'm thinking about that could possibly open up later,'' Girardi told New York's WFAN. "I'm not sure.''

It's still unfounded speculation at this point to even imply that the Cubs would have interest in Girardi as a manager. With Baker going nowhere for the near future, Girardi is much more likely to accept a managing job before Baker is finished in Chicago. Girardi interviewed Sunday with Devil Rays officials. Marlins officials would like to see Girardi in more of a hurry to commit to them than he has shown so far.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Formatting sucked on the copy -- fixed.

Comment

What was disgraceful about Pujols' conduct?
      "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

it's a prerequisite to like the media in order to get a mvp?

who cares? I don't like the media either. If pujols wants to be a crabass to them big whoop.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 17 2005, 11:17 AM) Quoted post
          What was disgraceful about Pujols' conduct? [/b][/quote]
          He ate a live baby in front of reporters.

Just to do it.

Comment

I'm not interested in what Pujols has to say after a game. I'm more interested in what Pujols does during the game.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Oct 17 2005, 11:18 AM) Quoted post

What was disgraceful about Pujols' conduct? [/b][/quote]
              He ate a live baby in front of reporters.

Just to do it.
              [/b][/quote]

Well that, and he took an illegal drop.

That gets the reporters fired up, especially when they're not in "reporting mode"
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

He herded overweight sportswriters like cattle. We should all come to praise Albert, not bury him.
                The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

I think to term someone's behavior as "disgraceful" you need to see it for yourself, not cut and paste from another newspaper's story.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 17 2005, 11:19 AM) Quoted post

I'm not interested in what Pujols has to say after a game. I'm more interested in what Pujols does during the game.
                    [/b][/quote]

+ +

Same here!

Comment

I bet that guy still voted for Bonds the last few years.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

I could care less about his conduct after the game, but he should have a cattle prod stuck up his back-side for his base running last night. Maybe the San Fran broadcaster had a point!
                        I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Oct 17 2005, 12:19 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I could care less about his conduct after the game, but he should have a cattle prod stuck up his back-side for his base running last night. Maybe the San Fran broadcaster had a point!
                          [/b][/quote]

Now that is crazy stuff! Crazy!

Comment

QUOTE(Steve Lyons @ Oct 17 2005, 12:20 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Oct 17 2005, 12:19 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Now that is crazy stuff! Crazy!
                            [/b][/quote]

Hey Steve Lyons, YOU SUCK! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ranting2.gif[/img]
                            I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 17 2005, 11:17 AM) Quoted post

it's a prerequisite to like the media in order to get a mvp?

who cares? I don't like the media either. If pujols wants to be a crabass to them big whoop.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Albert Pujols doesn't care. If he doesn't care, neither do I.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Working...
                              X