I don't know why, but I'm suddenly optimistic about tommorow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know why, but I'm suddenly optimistic about tommorow

Its kinda weird. Its like one of those things that keeps you awake and you can't go back to sleep because you keep thinking about it.

I know we have looked pretty bad the last couple of days, but I've changed my mind, and I'm still holding out hope that we can pull this off.

If we can tommorow, then i think we have just as good of a chance as last year of coming back, regardless of who's pitchinig for the enemy.

The reason being is that i think our crowd is going to give us that extra push if we get back to St. Louis. They are going to make it loud, and they are going to FORCE those birds to pluck each and every one of their heads out of their asses.

Houston has played well so far regardless of our play. IF they win tommorow, then they just played better end of story, and you wish them the best considering some of the better veterans on their team, Biggio and Bagwell.

Count me in as not counting them out yet. I have this feeling. Maybe it is Taco bell from dinner, or maybe it is something else. Either way, it feels pretty good to get this out.

QUOTE(Neutered Cat @ Oct 16 2005, 11:00 PM) Quoted post
    Its kinda weird. Its like one of those things that keeps you awake and you can't go back to sleep because you keep thinking about it.

I know we have looked pretty bad the last couple of days, but I've changed my mind, and I'm still holding out hope that we can pull this off.

If we can tommorow, then i think we have just as good of a chance as last year of coming back, regardless of who's pitchinig for the enemy.

The reason being is that i think our crowd is going to give us that extra push if we get back to St. Louis. They are going to make it loud, and they are going to FORCE those birds to pluck each and every one of their heads out of their asses.

Houston has played well so far regardless of our play. IF they win tommorow, then they just played better end of story, and you wish them the best considering some of the better veterans on their team, Biggio and Bagwell.

Count me in as not counting them out yet. I have this feeling. Maybe it is Taco bell from dinner, or maybe it is something else. Either way, it feels pretty good to get this out. [/b][/quote]

2 games decided by a run. Passed balls...inability to hit w/ RISP..unable to field bunts..walking lead-off batters.

That is a recipe for disaster. I still think this can be had..but, honestly, the way they have played games 2-4, I wouldnt hold out too much hope.

Comment

Some good signs..Albert talking to reporters, team seems loose..

With their season on the brink, and the faint heartbeat of their World Series destiny sustained by nothing more substantial than their fading hopes and dreams, a rather surprising development transpired in the Cardinals' clubhouse at Minute Maid Park on Sunday night.

When the clubhouse doors swung open and the media horde streamed into this well-appointed sanctuary ready to record the impending demise of the defending National League champs, the shocker of the night was that there was no gloom and doom to be found.

In the shocker of the night - even as they stand just short of playoff elimination, trailing the Astros 3-1 in this best-of-seven NL Championship Series following Sunday's heartbreaking 2-1 loss - the Cardinals are behaving like tonight's do-or-die Game 5 in Minute Maid is a date with destiny rather than a trip to the executioner's scaffold.

"We're not worried, trust me," said left fielder Reggie Sanders with a sly wink and a sparkling smile, as he stared out at a small collection of reporters. "We've already let this game go, and we're just thinking about what we have to do (tonight). We did a little bit of cursing in the hallways, maybe a little more in the training room, too. But we're OK now. We have to move on."

The theories are plentiful why the Cards have up until now played this NLCS as though it were a joyless burden, rather than a carefree pleasure, much of it hinging on the maddening overthinking and uptight postseason managerial style of one of baseball's sharpest thinkers, Redbirds skipper Tony La Russa.

La Russa is one of the sharpest tacticians in the history of the game, and will one day have his bronzed bust in Cooperstown. But so many baseball insiders wonder why La Russa's teams thrive in the heat of the summer, yet struggle mightily in the cool of autumn.

What happens to his teams in October can best be epitomized by the way the Cards have been playing since the momentum-shifting Game 2 loss back at Busch. Over the past few days, you could see it in the body language of their biggest star and likely National League MVP, Albert Pujols. He has spent most of the NLCS snarling at reporters and sending off an uneasy, tense vibe in the clubhouse.

You can certainly sense it in the body language (and verbal one, too) of the brilliant manager. There he was in the seventh inning of this clenched-fist, one-run ballgame, and La Russa found himself nose-to-nose with home plate umpire Phil Cuzzi, and face-to-chest with crew chief Tim McClelland. The episode got him ejected at the worst possible moment.

Yet about a half-hour after this difficult loss, just when you expected to see the players as uptight and edgy as their boss, there was a much-needed personality shift that began with the most important guy in the clubhouse - Pujols.

If you're looking for a sign that this series is not over, that this team has not emotionally packed it in, that tonight might be a free-and-easy bit of postseason enjoyment, not a panicky walk off the edge of a plank, perhaps the sight of a smiling Albert Pujols was it.

"It's not over because there's at least one more game left," said the grinning slugger. "You can't just give up like that. Until they win four games, it's not over. You don't think about getting to (Game 6 or 7). All you think about is getting to tomorrow."

If the Cardinals have any hope of sending this series back to St. Louis and extending their championship chase for one more precious night, the leader of this team - Pujols - has to walk through the clubhouse behaving like the sky isn't falling. If this series is going to come back to Busch, the Cards can't go into Game 5 acting like someone's just passed out blindfolds and cigarettes, even if that someone might unintentionally be their intense, "Play a hard nine" manager.

"It's a baseball game," the always loose and easy David Eckstein said when someone asked what sort of pressure would be felt tonight. "Why should we feel any pressure? This is a fun game to play. This is what you live for. These are the games you dreamed about playing as a kid. So let's just go out and play it and see what happens. The object is very simple. We need to find a way to win three in a row. The easiest way to do that is to win one first."

You and I might look at this precarious situation the Cardinals are in and see nothing but an impossible mission, particularly when you know that the Astros' Murderer's Row of pitchers (Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt and Roger Clemens) are lurking on the horizon. That is a frightening and imposing task.

"Can we pull off a miracle?" said Pujols, wiping a bead of sweat off his brow. "Of course we can. We just need to win one game. If we can do that, if we can just get past tomorrow, it puts all the pressure on them."
      [/b][/quote]

Other than Edmonds, the Cardinals mostly dodged questions about the umpires after the game. There are more pressing issues, with St. Louis down three games to one, and the Cardinals talked bravely, reiterating how strong the will of the team had been all year. Pujols answered questions calmly, politely, with a smile. "How do we stay relaxed?" he mused. "We show you tomorrow."[/b][/quote]

It's not like we have to play over our heads to beat the Astros scrubs, who called their offense "terrible all year." They just have to have some fun.

Seriously, somebody get them drunk in Houston.
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

2 things have to at least happen for us to have a chance i think.

1) We have to score more than 2 runs. If we can't, than we don't deserve the series and concede the defeat. If we do and win...well the offense is still sputtering, but we are alive for one more round at Busch.

2) Larussa needs to get Walker the hell out of the cleanup spot, and perhaps out of the lineup all together. I think So taguchi could play better than he is right now.

Comment

QUOTE(Neutered Cat @ Oct 17 2005, 12:00 AM) Quoted post

Count me in as not counting them out yet. I have this feeling. Maybe it is Taco bell from dinner, or maybe it is something else. Either way, it feels pretty good to get this out.
          [/b][/quote]

I too ate Taco Bell. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
          Time for change

Comment

i knew it wasn't Taco Bell!!!!11111

Comment

QUOTE(Neutered Cat @ Oct 17 2005, 11:33 PM) Quoted post
              i knew it wasn't Taco Bell!!!!11111 [/b][/quote]

I've been owned. Nice job, cat. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I would like to grab a win tomorrow also. Shouldn't be too tough because I don't think Houston's planning on showing up until Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                X