Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just say this about the ejections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just say this about the ejections?

listen, i think the pitch Edmonds argued about was a ball and the ump screwed the pooch on that call BUT Edmonds has to keep his composure in that situation. i don't blame him for being pissed off, but he's got to keep the time and place in his mind and not fly off the handle in a situation that could've very well have meant the game for his team

oh and LaRussa might want to think about taking off the sunglasses indoors...he can't see shit
    life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
    \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
    Dr. Pepper
    all things Calvin & Hobbes

well if you read the game thread - you'll see many cards fans saying that.

so what? you thought we all be mindless minions, all saying edmonds is the victim here, the pefect angel, blah blah blah?

Comment

call me crazy, but i didn't really want to read through 43 pages of recap since i just made it back to a computer since wednesday

and yes, i did think that some of you fans would think that
      life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
      \"IPB

Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
      Dr. Pepper
      all things Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

QUOTE(nschneid @ Oct 17 2005, 12:11 AM) Quoted post

call me crazy, but i didn't really want to read through 43 pages of recap since i just made it back to a computer since wednesday

and yes, i did think that some of you fans would think that
        [/b][/quote]

Well next time read the 43 pages of recap before making an ASS-U-pmtion about us.

Thanks
        han solo

Comment

QUOTE(nschneid @ Oct 16 2005, 11:03 PM) Quoted post

listen, i think the pitch Edmonds argued about was a ball and the ump screwed the pooch on that call BUT Edmonds has to keep his composure in that situation. i don't blame him for being pissed off, but he's got to keep the time and place in his mind and not fly off the handle in a situation that could've very well have meant the game for his team

oh and LaRussa might want to think about taking off the sunglasses indoors...he can't see shit
          [/b][/quote]

I've been pretty cordial to you Astros fans this past week, but this post is just remarkably ignorant in countless ways. Keep your opinions to yourself on the ejections, nschneid. You're perspective is definitely skewed beyond reason in this matter.

As for your team, they're playing well. I suggest not getting too high on the horse, though. The fall can be a mighty one.
          *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

The way I saw it and it is what I said the Miami Card Fan at the time is that no way should the ump be tossing out Edmonds there, fans didn't pay to see Cuzzi they did pay to see Edmonds though. I don't care if he said the magic word as an Ump you just gotta say are you done ranting? Followed by a do you want to step back in the box or do you want me to toss you? If Edmonds still continues then toss him, it just didn't seem like that happened. Seemed like Cuzzi took it personally, got pissed and tossed him.

Its the playoffs for crying out loud you need to have a thick skin out there.

Comment

QUOTE(Xavier @ Oct 17 2005, 02:13 AM) Quoted post

The way I saw it and it is what I said the Miami Card Fan at the time is that no way should the ump be tossing out Edmonds there, fans didn't pay to see Cuzzi they did pay to see Edmonds though. I don't care if he said the magic word as an Ump you just gotta say are you done ranting? Followed by a do you want to step back in the box or do you want me to toss you? If Edmonds still continues then toss him, it just didn't seem like that happened. Seemed like Cuzzi took it personally, got pissed and tossed him.

Its the playoffs for crying out loud you need to have a thick skin out there.
              [/b][/quote]

I completely agree.
              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

deserved or not, there came a point in this game where I knew it would be likely that TLR would be ejected. I couldn't figure out the strike zone at all. I could feel the frustration. And I didn't care when he was ejected because it just meant he would get to tell his side of the story to that idiot anyway.

The edmonds thing was ridiculous but I am glad I got to see him mouth "YOU'RE A PUSSY" on national television to that goofball behind homeplate.

if our bats don't come alive though, it's going to be difficult to win with or without the umps' blessings.

cuzzi looked like a guy who was confused all day. I think he's just incompetent.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 17 2005, 07:47 AM) Quoted post

deserved or not, there came a point in this game where I knew it would be likely that TLR would be ejected. I couldn't figure out the strike zone at all. I could feel the frustration. And I didn't care when he was ejected because it just meant he would get to tell his side of the story to that idiot anyway.

The edmonds thing was ridiculous but I am glad I got to see him mouth "YOU'RE A PUSSY" on national television to that goofball behind homeplate.

if our bats don't come alive though, it's going to be difficult to win with or without the umps' blessings.

cuzzi looked like a guy who was confused all day. I think he's just incompetent.
                  [/b][/quote]

CG, has it right. It doesn't matter what some half-assed ump says. If we don't hit in the clutch we can't blame it on the umps. Pop gun offenses don't win trophys. The Cards are getting old before our eyes. If we lose this series they should back up the truck.

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 17 2005, 07:47 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Agreed on all points.

I expected TLR to pick a time to get tossed. The situation called for it. The game is on the line and the ump is all aver the map with an inconsistent strike zone. Getting tossed would maybe, just maybe, get an inconsistent call our way at a critical time. To be clear, the ump was inconsistent to both teams. Astro fans booed several calls, justifiably so. What happened, though, Garner came out after TLR was tossed to remind the ump that was what TLR was trying to do. The ump had probably already came to the same conclusion so he made a point of calling that strike against Edmonds. Like the announcers, I at first thought it was called a swinging strike, as did Edmonds. When he realized it was a called strike, he lost his cool.

Unfortunate, but it was not the real story in the game. The Cards offense has yet again gone cold in the playoffs. We expected this offense to be multi-faceted with lots of ways to score. Even a small ball offense has to get runners on base. The Cards looked tight in this game and played tight. They need a shootout win to get back into the series.
                    "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

TLR should have gotten himself tossed about 3 innings earlier in the game.

It was ridiculous all game. The strikezone was moving, and I couldn't remember more than once when Cuzzi asked for help from the 1st or 3rd base umps on a check swing....which is ridiculous. You can't even try to claim that you're watching the strikezone when you don't ever need help on a check swing.

Reggie Sanders' AB in the 4th inning. 1st pitch, Reggie clearly didn't go around on a check swing, and Cuzzi didn't even ask for help...strike. Next pitch was a ball, next pitch was a low strike (which was the exact same pitch Marquis didn't get called a strike in the 7th), the Reggie got 2 balls before missing the "3rd" strike. At that point, the count should have been 5 balls, one strike.

At that point, everyone knew the this guy was off his rocker. TLR needed to point it out then....and didn't

I honestly can't do anything but laugh at the whole situation. It was hysterical the way the game was called.
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 17 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

It was ridiculous all game. The strikezone was moving, and I couldn't remember more than once when Cuzzi asked for help from the 1st or 3rd base umps on a check swing....which is ridiculous. You can't even try to claim that you're watching the strikezone when you don't ever need help on a check swing.

Reggie Sanders' AB in the 4th inning. 1st pitch, Reggie clearly didn't go around on a check swing, and Cuzzi didn't even ask for help...strike. Next pitch was a ball, next pitch was a low strike (which was the exact same pitch Marquis didn't get called a strike in the 7th), the Reggie got 2 balls before missing the "3rd" strike. At that point, the count should have been 5 balls, one strike.

At that point, everyone knew the this guy was off his rocker. TLR needed to point it out then....and didn't

I honestly can't do anything but laugh at the whole situation. It was hysterical the way the game was called.
                        [/b][/quote]

I remember thinking, "This is the best of the umpires in this league???!!!" The average ump may miss a strike or two along the way but once his zone is established the batters know what to expect. That never happened. I can say without exaggeration that most of the high school umps I have seen call a better game than I saw yesterday. At a time our offense is struggling the last thing we need is uncertainty about the strike zone.

I don't know this ump. Is this is normal game for him? What is his typical zone?
                        "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

IF we don't win this series, a good thing will be we don't have to worry about incompetent umps. That really is something to me. IF we do win, then the adventures will continue.
                          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(Jaws @ Oct 17 2005, 09:35 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 17 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I remember thinking, "This is the best of the umpires in this league???!!!" The average ump may miss a strike or two along the way but once his zone is established the batters know what to expect. That never happened. I can say without exaggeration that most of the high school umps I have seen call a better game than I saw yesterday. At a time our offense is struggling the last thing we need is uncertainty about the strike zone.

I don't know this ump. Is this is normal game for him? What is his typical zone?
                            [/b][/quote]

I couldn't tell you much about Cuzzi...other than I agree with you.

Umps establish different strike zones....and that's perfectly fine as long as you're consistent with it. I'd rather see an ump establish his strikezone a full foot outside of the plate and call that consistently than what we saw last night.

I was honestly amazed that he called the game with a straight face. If I was in a situation like that and decided to call the game with a blindfold on, I would have laughed myself to death.

I can also tell you that I would be saying the same thing if the Cardinals were the beneficiaries of a WS title because of this guy calling a game 7. I sure as hell wouldn't want to win that way.
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

has anyone seen Baseball Tonite or SportsCenter?

did they even talk about the ejections and Cuzzi's strikezone? at lease, with straight faces?
                              Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                              Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                              There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                              "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                              "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Working...
                              X