BCS Rankings to come out tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Rankings to come out tomorrow.

When Matt Leinart was shoved into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown on Saturday, USC celebrated a major step toward its third straight national championship.

The Trojans, however, were the second team of the day to see a door to the BCS title game swing open in front of them. When Notre Dame's Brady Quinn had reached the opposite end zone on the possession prior to Leinart's TD, the Texas Longhorns may have gotten all the help they'll need to reach Pasadena for a second straight season -- this time to play for all the marbles.

Just a few hours earlier, the outlook for Texas had not been so rosy. Faced with the knowledge that schedule weakness could downgrade them in the BCS computers all season, there was a lot of pressure on the Longhorns to sustain momentum in the human polls by performing at a high level on the field. As I mentioned in this column last week, Texas needs to keep its poll points closer to No. 1 USC than to No. 3 Virginia Tech.

If the Trojans had manhandled a Notre Dame team that is believed to be better than any of the Longhorns' opponents, it might have tightened USC's grip on the top spot in the polls. But when the Irish showed America how human these Trojans really are -- combined with Texas' complete domination of No. 24 Colorado -- it caused more than a few people to reconsider which team might be the best in the land, even if most voters kept USC in the No. 1 position this week.

With No. 3 Virginia Tech idle over the weekend, Texas accomplished the mission of solidifying itself as the No. 2 team in the nation while gaining some ground on No. 1 by picking up a few more first-place votes. Simple calculations suggest that only three of 62 voters in the coaches' poll and four of 113 in the Harris poll don't have the Longhorns ranked in their top two. Unless Texas loses or has some sloppy wins, those opinions shouldn't change too much. And unless they change dramatically, the weakness of the Big 12 won't ultimately cost the Longhorns in the BCS formula.

Penn State's loss guaranteed that there won't be five undefeated teams this season, which was a scenario that might have allowed someone to gain significant ground on Texas in the computer element. Florida State's loss also eliminated the possibility that Virginia Tech could play another undefeated team in the ACC title game, which would have strengthened the Hokies' rankings in the computers. And to top it off, Ohio State won a game it very easily could have lost, which helps the quality of the Texas schedule.

All of this explains why the Longhorns vaulted from eighth to second in this week's Sagarin Ratings -- the only one of the six BCS computer rankings to publish on Sunday. Assuming the other computers respond to the events of this past weekend in similar fashion, which they typically do, Texas should be a comfortable No. 2 in the initial release of the BCS standings on Monday. And because there is such a sizable gap between all of the top five spots in the polls, there shouldn't be any surprises in the rankings of the unbeaten teams.

Mock BCS Standings
    1. USC Trojans (6-0)
    2. Texas Longhorns (6-0)
    3. Virginia Tech Hokies (6-0)
    4. Georgia Bulldogs (6-0)
    5. Alabama Crimson Tide (6-0)
    6. Texas Tech Red Raiders (6-0)
    7. LSU Tigers (4-1)
    8. Miami Hurricanes (5-1)
    9. UCLA Bruins (6-0)
    10. Florida State Seminoles (5-1)
    * Through games of Oct. 15

Not so fast, Trojans and Horns
    A word of warning to USC and Texas fans (and a word of hope to fans of the other unbeatens): In the first seven years of the BCS, the top two teams in the initial standings have never won out and met for the national title. Only three times has the initial No. 1 team reached the BCS Championship Game, and only twice has it taken home the trophy. The initial No. 2 team has also reached the game just three times, and it has won only once.
    Code:
    Initial BCS Rankings of Eventual Title Game Participants
    Year 	Winner 	Runner-up
    2004 	No. 1 USC Trojans 	No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners
    2003 	No. 12 LSU Tigers 	No. 1 Oklahoma Sooners
    2002 	No. 6 Ohio State Buckeyes 	No. 2 Miami Hurricanes
    2001 	No. 4 Miami Hurricanes 	No. 2 Nebraska Cornhuskers
    2000 	No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners 	No. 5 Florida State Seminoles
    1999 	No. 1 Florida State Seminoles 	No. 3 Virginia Tech Hokies
    1998 	No. 3 Tennessee Volunteers 	No. 5 Florida State Seminoles
    Irish eyes are smiling
    On Saturday, Notre Dame proved it can play with the best in the nation, and the Irish could get the chance to do it again January in a BCS game. Qualification standards for at-large berths into the Bowl Championship Series specify that a team must have nine wins and rank in the top 12 of the final standings to be eligible for selection. In order to reach nine wins, however, the Irish can't lose again.

In addition, this is the final year that Notre Dame is able to receive a full conference payout for playing in a BCS game, which is approximately $15 million this season. When the new BCS contract goes into effect next year, the Irish will receive an annual share similar to the allotment for one team rather than the all-or-nothing arrangement that is currently in effect. If the Irish drop one more game, the Gator Bowl, which has a payout near $2 million, is a likely destination. Therefore, the difference between winning the next five games and not doing so is about $13 million for the university.

At least there's no pressure.

The first official BCS Standings of the season will be released on Monday, Oct. 17.

Brad Edwards is a college football researcher at ESPN. His Road to the BCS appears weekly during the season. [/b][/quote]

If USC and Texas finish the season undefeated and they're not meeting each other in Pasadena, then I'm through with college football. Clearly, SC and Texas will have faced better opponents than Va. Tech.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I think it'll definitely be USC-Texas if both win out, don't worry Kev.

All the whispers about Va Tech leap frogging Texas ended after the Horns dismantled Colorado.
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Can anybody explain how Texas Tech is ranked sixth in the BCS with the schedule they've played?

Comment

QUOTE(Fishbone @ Oct 16 2005, 08:53 PM) Quoted post

Can anybody explain how Texas Tech is ranked sixth in the BCS with the schedule they've played?
          [/b][/quote]

No!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those turkeys have only played one road game. That was a lucky win at Lincoln. There will be no luck for the Red Raiders in Austin. They will go down hard.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 16 2005, 09:48 PM) Quoted post

If USC and Texas finish the season undefeated and they're not meeting each other in Pasadena, then I'm through with college football. Clearly, SC and Texas will have faced better opponents than Va. Tech.
            [/b][/quote]

Clearly? Texas hasn't played anyone worth a damn since Ohio St. They'll basically go the entire regular season having played one quality opponent. If VaTech wins out, they'll have beaten Boston College and Miami in back to back weeks, then likely Florida St in the ACC title game. That's 2 wins against teams at least as good as OSU, and arguably better, and I promise you that BC is better than anyone else that's on Texas's schedule.
            Official Lounge Sponsor:
            Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
            The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
            Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Go RED RAIDERS!!!

Sorry Kev, but your "rooting" for Houston has led me to root for TT. It's all for not though as you'll be rejoicing after both teams are victorious. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Texas--45
              TT------24

Fun times for Mr. Kev..............

Bad times for Mr. "F"...............

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
              --Suck it cubbies.
              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 16 2005, 09:04 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 16 2005, 09:48 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Clearly? Texas hasn't played anyone worth a damn since Ohio St. They'll basically go the entire regular season having played one quality opponent. If VaTech wins out, they'll have beaten Boston College and Miami in back to back weeks, then likely Florida St in the ACC title game. That's 2 wins against teams at least as good as OSU, and arguably better, and I promise you that BC is better than anyone else that's on Texas's schedule.
                [/b][/quote]
                You make one helluva case for Va. Tech Lippa. I'm inclined to lean towards Va. Tech if they can run the table.

We need a playoff system so we can stop the "speculating" though. Fo real.
                --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Va. Tech would not win in Columbus.

Heck, Va. Tech would not beat the Sooners.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 16 2005, 10:11 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Those are both laughable and ridiculous statements.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 16 2005, 09:11 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      Easy Kev...........

I don't mind your first comment, but the second one is down right laughable.............
                      --Suck it cubbies.

Comment

Virginia Tech is still the most impressive team I've seen this season.

If they run the table, with wins over Miami and Florida State (and over likely Big East champ West Virginia!), you will have an incredibly hard time convincing me they shouldn't be in Pasadena.

Comment

This so screams for a playoff. Maybe, just maybe, if an Alabama, Va. Tech, or Texas gets screwed out of the championship game by pollsters, then the outcry might just get something done.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 17 2005, 03:32 AM) Quoted post

This so screams for a playoff. Maybe, just maybe, if an Alabama, Va. Tech, or Texas gets screwed out of the championship game by pollsters, then the outcry might just get something done.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            Why would it? Last year's debacle didn't do anything to get us nearer to a playoff, nor did the debacles of 2000, 2001, or 2003. Why would one in 2005 be any different than the previous four?

Comment

QUOTE(devaskar @ Oct 17 2005, 10:44 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 17 2005, 03:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              Why would it? Last year's debacle didn't do anything to get us nearer to a playoff, nor did the debacles of 2000, 2001, or 2003. Why would one in 2005 be any different than the previous four?
                              [/b][/quote]

Sad, but true.

It is not hard to imagine 3 worthy teams going undefeated this year. In the past, teams with equal records with a good claim for a BCS bid were left out. The polls and the computer rankings catch heat, but, in the end, they can't be faulted for trying to pick the most worthy teams. Strength of schedule is an important consideration but, in itself, it doesn't insure the best teams play.

Nightmare scenario: Texas, USC and VT run the table. USC has close games that drop them from #1 ranking. Texas and VT play for the BCS title while the undefeated defending chanpion is left out.

Each year the controversy comes down to picking 2 teams from a field of 3 worthy contenders. Without a playoff, only two can play. Someone is going to be left out. A four team playoff would have avoided every controversy in the past. No team that has been ranked as low as 5 has ever had a legitimate claim to a title shot. A four team playoff can be structured within the current BCS bowl arrangement. IMHO, a permanent BCS title bowl site (New Orleans?) would be the ideal solution. Many of the big bowls have been less than thrilled with the rotating title game scheme. The Rose Bowl, for example, likes to see a Pac 10 and Big 10 matchup more than say, a Texas/VT title game.
                              "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Working...
                              X