X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wie DQ'd from first pro tourney for illegal drop

Wie DQ'd from first pro tourney after illegal drop
    Associated Press

PALM DESERT, Calif. -- Michelle Wie's pro debut made her look like an amateur Sunday when she was disqualified for taking a bad drop from the bushes in the third round of the Samsung World Championship.

Sorenstam closed with a 3-under 69 on a rainy Sunday afternoon in the desert to win the Samsung World Championship by eight strokes. Sorenstam, who finished at 18-under 270, won for the eighth time this season. Full story

Talk about a rude welcome to the professional world.

First, Annika Sorenstam blew away the field to win by eight shots, even with a double bogey on the last hole.

Then, the 16-year-old Wie no sooner had signed for a 74 to finish fourth -- $53,126 -- that LPGA Tour officials took her out to the seventh hole to discuss a drop she took the day before.

Wie hit a 5-wood into a Gold Lantana bush Saturday and was barely able to find it. She told Grace Park she was taking an unplayable lie, dropped away from the bush for a one-stroke penalty, then chipped to 15 feet and made the par. It was a critical par save, and Wie went on to a 71.

The LPGA Tour was notified about the drop, and officials reviewed tape from NBC Sports before taking Wie and caddie Greg Johnston to the seventh green after the tournament ended Sunday.

Nearly two hours later, LPGA Tour rules official Jim Haley and Robert O. Smith said she was disqualified. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like the LPGA has "Not-So-Instant Replay"

Comment

I wonder if this is the hole she made up that shit about being scared of bees on?
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

So does she keep the $53K, or does she get Zilch?

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Oct 16 2005, 10:26 PM) Quoted post
            I wonder if this is the hole she made up that shit about being scared of bees on? [/b][/quote]

No different hole

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 16 2005, 10:29 PM) Quoted post
              So does she keep the $53K, or does she get Zilch? [/b][/quote]

I doubt it, My guess is she gets last place money. Not that it matters to her.

Comment

ESPN showed that she forfeits the cash. I really feel bad for her. That $53+K was going to wallpaper her bedroom. I mean the actual bills were going to be the wallpaper.

Comment

There goes that Nike endorsement...
                  Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                  Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                  Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                  "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

What's so funny about it? She fucked up apparently. So what?

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Oct 16 2005, 10:42 PM) Quoted post
                      What's so funny about it? She fucked up apparently. So what? [/b][/quote]

First professional tour event.

Comment

What was illegal about the drop?

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Oct 16 2005, 10:42 PM) Quoted post

What's so funny about it? She fucked up apparently. So what?
                          [/b][/quote]
                          I think it's hilarious given all the hype she's had and it's an interesting way to start a career....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 16 2005, 10:44 PM) Quoted post
                            What was illegal about the drop? [/b][/quote]

she was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Because Wie dropped the ball closer to the hole -- by 3 inches according to her, by about a foot according to the rules officials -- she should have added two strokes to her third-round 71.

[/b][/quote]

Comment

Why is that an illegal drop?
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Working...
                              X