X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase Daniels is a better QB than Brad Smith

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

the game belonged to freshman backup quarterback Chase Daniel, who orchestrated two drives in the fourth quarter that brought the Tigers back from a 10-point deficit in the final nine minutes of regulation.

Daniel came into the game in relief of starter Brad Smith, who had his bell rung by Iowa State linebacker Tim Dobbins with 8:51 remaining in the fourth quarter. When Daniel, who had played in one series in the first half, came in, something sparked in the offense.

Daniel took an offense that was out of sorts in the first three quarters and synthesized it into the offense that came into the game averaging nearly 38 points. Daniel moved the Tigers 73 yards on 16 plays in 4 minutes 16 seconds to make the score 24-17. He even made a 25-yard pass to tight end Chase Coffman on fourth down to keep the drive alive. That play came after coach Gary Pinkel said he had intended to run a fake punt but realized Iowa State's coverage was ready for it.

"His composure is what set everything off," said running back Tony Temple, who was playing in his first game since Sept. 17. "It was sad to see Brad down, but we have confidence in Chase. Chase has shown his ability since he got here."

The newfound intensity of the offense re-energized the defense, which had been on the field 20 more minutes than the offense during the first three quarters. But fatigue was not a factor as the Tigers forced Iowa State to punt with 2:32 remaining in the fourth quarter.

"Pretty much, we were in a little huddle before we went out there and we all talked about it," defensive tackle Lorenzo Williams said. "If there was any time to step up, this was the time right here. And we just kind of went one play at a time, stop them, and then let our offense do the rest."

The rest was up to Daniel, who in his two years as a starting quarterback at Southlake (Texas) Carroll High was 31-1 and said he had probably led a team back from a fourth-quarter deficit only twice.

But Daniel didn't bend under the pressure. He led the Tigers 87 yards in 2:12 and found wide receiver Sean Coffey in the end zone. Crossett tied the score with the extra point, which he said was tipped on the way through the uprights.

Before Daniel's entrance in the fourth quarter, the Tigers' offense was stunted. During the first three quarters, Smith completed six of seven passes for 29 yards and an interception. He also rushed for 34 yards on eight carries and lost a fumble. Smith's numbers were career lows. Overall, the Tigers ran 33 plays for 137 yards.

But in the fourth quarter, there was a transformation. Players who had been instrumental in the offense in previous games suddenly came to life in the aid of Daniel. Coffey was one of those, and he finished with four catches for 54 yards and touchdown. Receiver William Franklin, who hadn't caught a pass in Big 12 play, had two critical catches for 22 yards. All came in the fourth quarter. Daniel finished the game 16 of 23 for 185 yards and a touchdown.[/b][/quote]

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...6F?OpenDocument

Fo the first time in a while, I see hope for a bowl appearance. Competition is a good thing. If nothing else, maybe Brad will begin to play like he did a few years ago. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Uh, Chase DaINel rocks!!!

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Soory for the "s" in Daniel, but among other things, I sometimes mistype! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

He's INcredible.
        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

P(IN)kle should have allowed Brad Smith to do what comes naturally, ala V(IN)ce Young at Texas.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

INcidentally, which Chase is this? Can Kansas have the other one?
            On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 16 2005, 07:45 AM) Quoted post

P(IN)kle should have allowed Brad Smith to do what comes naturally, ala V(IN)ce Young at Texas.
              [/b][/quote]

Pinkle reminds me too much of Martz. He refuses to properly utilize the talent that he has, and just continues to do things "His way." [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

INcredible story of the day -- some KU fans are actually arguINg for Martz to be hired as the KU coach.

Comment

Working...
                X