• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshman QB leads Mizzou to come-from-behind victory

Tigers rally to capture OT thriller
    By Graham Watson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/15/2005

COLUMBIA, MO. — Missouri kicker Adam Crossett didn't even wait for the ball to go completely through the uprights before he turned around and started sprinting in the opposite direction.

With the rest of the team chasing him, Crossett dropped to his knees on the opposite 25-yard line near Iowa State's bench, pointed skyward and was promptly tackled by the rest of his team.

Crossett, who ran to the 25-yard line to pay homage to fallen teammate Aaron O'Neal, made the game-winning 26-yard field goal in overtime to give the Tigers a 27-24 win Saturday over Iowa State (3-3, 0-3) at Faurot Field.

On the opening drive in overtime, Iowa State kicker Bret Culbertson missed a 43-yard field-goal attempt to set up the opportunity for the Tigers (4-2, 2-1) to win the game.Advertisement

"On the sideline your hearing stuff from some of our fans about 'Crossett, you're a this, you're a that,' " Crossett said, as he put up mock quotation marks when he said the word "fans." "I might hear it, but I don't let it get to me ... I was just worried about staying down, keeping my tempo and putting it through."

Although Crossett made the game-winning field goal, the game belonged to freshman backup quarterback Chase Daniel, who orchestrated two drives in the fourth quarter that brought the Tigers back from a 10-point deficit in the final nine minutes of regulation.

Daniel came into the game in relief of starter Brad Smith, who had his bell rung by Iowa State linebacker Tim Dobbins with 8:51 remaining in the fourth quarter. When Daniel, who had played in one series in the first half, came in, something sparked in the offense.

Daniel took an offense that was out of sorts in the first three quarters and synthesized it into the offense that came into the game averaging nearly 38 points. Daniel moved the Tigers 73 yards on 16 plays in 4 minutes 16 seconds to make the score 24-17. He even made a 25-yard pass to tight end Chase Coffman on fourth down to keep the drive alive. That play came after coach Gary Pinkel said he had intended to run a fake punt but realized Iowa State's coverage was ready for it.

"His composure is what set everything off," said running back Tony Temple, who was playing in his first game since Sept. 17. "It was sad to see Brad down, but we have confidence in Chase. Chase has shown his ability since he got here."

The newfound intensity of the offense re-energized the defense, which had been on the field 20 more minutes than the offense during the first three quarters. But fatigue was not a factor as the Tigers forced Iowa State to punt with 2:32 remaining in the fourth quarter.

"Pretty much, we were in a little huddle before we went out there and we all talked about it," defensive tackle Lorenzo Williams said. "If there was any time to step up, this was the time right here. And we just kind of went one play at a time, stop them, and then let our offense do the rest."

The rest was up to Daniel, who in his two years as a starting quarterback at Southlake (Texas) Carroll High was 31-1 and said he had probably led a team back from a fourth-quarter deficit only twice.

But Daniel didn't bend under the pressure. He led the Tigers 87 yards in 2:12 and found wide receiver Sean Coffey in the end zone. Crossett tied the score with the extra point, which he said was tipped on the way through the uprights.

Before Daniel's entrance in the fourth quarter, the Tigers' offense was stunted. During the first three quarters, Smith completed six of seven passes for 29 yards and an interception. He also rushed for 34 yards on eight carries and lost a fumble. Smith's numbers were career lows. Overall, the Tigers ran 33 plays for 137 yards.

But in the fourth quarter, there was a transformation. Players who had been instrumental in the offense in previous games suddenly came to life in the aid of Daniel. Coffey was one of those, and he finished with four catches for 54 yards and touchdown. Receiver William Franklin, who hadn't caught a pass in Big 12 play, had two critical catches for 22 yards. All came in the fourth quarter. Daniel finished the game 16 of 23 for 185 yards and a touchdown.

"We gave him (Daniel) a lot of confidence early, all of us, and that takes leadership from a lot of older guys." Coffey said. "Any young guy could have folded, and it would have been OK because he's young and everybody gets that excuse. But he's not that kind of dude."

After the game, Daniel jumped on the back of Pinkel and received a hug from quarterbacks coach David Yost. Pinkel said despite Daniel's play, Smith was still the starting quarterback, but Daniel at least earned himself some extra playing time by leading the Tigers' first come-from-behind victory in two seasons.

"I think they (the coaches) had a lot of confidence in me before the game because they wouldn't have given me a series in the last game if they didn't think I could go out there and protect the football and make plays," Daniel said. "Hopefully it just gives them more confidence that I can go out there when they need me and win a ballgame."
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I'm guessing that we'll see a little QB shuffle against Nebraska, hmmmm?

Comment

Is this true freshman Chase or red shirt Chase?
      On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 16 2005, 07:34 AM) Quoted post

Is this true freshman Chase or red shirt Chase?
        [/b][/quote]
        I believe true freshman because they were talking about redshirting him early in practice.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Yes, he's a true freshman.

I heard Pinkel's postgame comments regarding Chase & Brad Smith, and Pinkel was very Martzian.

When asked who's the starter next week, Pinkel said, "Brad is the starting QB. He could've come back in, but Chase was doing so well, that we didn't want to disrupt the momentum."

I say let him start! Who do they face next week?

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 16 2005, 09:18 AM) Quoted post

Who do they face next week?
            [/b][/quote]

Nebraska (at home)

BTW, Jack....is Chase any relation? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Oct 16 2005, 08:22 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Nebraska (at home)

BTW, Jack....is Chase any relation? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]

No. Just a pseudonym. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

If he was a relative, I'd have told him to avoid Mizzou!

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 16 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Nebraska (at home)

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

LOL, but you'd think with a pseudo like Jack Daniels and the reputation that Mizzou has with alcohol consumption (imagine being a Mizzou fan w/o it), that you'd have encouraged him to go there. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Oct 16 2005, 08:31 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 16 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Nebraska (at home)

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

LOL, but you'd think with a pseudo like Jack Daniels and the reputation that Mizzou has with alcohol consumption (imagine being a Mizzou fan w/o it), that you'd have encouraged him to go there. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

Nice.

The only member of my family in college with football talent goes to Texas Tech, but I don't know if he plays on their team.

I'm going to check the roster.

Comment

Dvyyyyy: A simle apology will do. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

The kid obviously saved the day yesterday but hadn't looked so good in some of his other outings.

Smith should be the starter next week but if the offense struggles again...maybe the hook comes sooner.

Good to see that the defense made a couple plays.

This freshman has a bright future. Hopefully, the Tigers get him some help.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

How long until the other Chase transfers?
                        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

QUOTE(chiguy @ Oct 16 2005, 12:40 PM) Quoted post

How long until the other Chase transfers?
                          [/b][/quote]

Not long. You guys can have him.

Martz too!
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I left the game yesterday with 9 minutes left. I wanted to get to the bar to watch the Cardinals game. I can't believe they came back, but I don't think they would have if Brad has stayed in.

I still think I'd leave early if I had it to do over again; the NLCS is too important. But it was painful to miss the end.

I would have Brad on a very short leash from now on. I think Daniel gives us our best chance to win, AND he's the future. I wonder if Brad could contribute at another position instead.
                            "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(phantom @ Oct 16 2005, 01:29 PM) Quoted post

I left the game yesterday with 9 minutes left. I wanted to get to the bar to watch the Cardinals game. I can't believe they came back, but I don't think they would have if Brad has stayed in.

I still think I'd leave early if I had it to do over again; the NLCS is too important. But it was painful to miss the end.

I would have Brad on a very short leash from now on. I think Daniel gives us our best chance to win, AND he's the future. I wonder if Brad could contribute at another position instead.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              My dad was there and stayed for the duration. He said Daniel was very impressive. He said he hadn't seen a freshman appear that cool and calm since.....................uh-hem.............Brad Smith. Then he went on to say that Daniel deserves the start against Nebraska. He knows Pinkel won't start him, but he said he'd never seen Smith look so bad. My dad described Smith as "clueless" for 3 and half quarters.

A win agasint the cornholers next Saturday would be sweet!!
                              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                              --Suck it cubbies.
                              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X