Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll let you guys/gals decide if this is bulletin board material

Nothing fazes them
    After a 4-1 win in Game 2 of the National League Championship Series, the Astros flew home Thursday night because of where they've been as much as anything they have done.

"As I've said before, our club is unusual," Astros manager Phil Garner said. "Things that might knock other teams down haven't seemed to do that to us."

Like the mighty Cards. The Astros can beat them on the power and ferocity of Roy Oswalt and untouchable stuff of Lidge because nothing else has rattled or intimidated this team. What would scare everyone's pick to return to the World Series?

They can go 0-for-14 with runners in scoring position — as they did until Chris Burke singled in the eighth to drive in Lance Berkman — and still win.

They can weather an impressive Cardinals performance in Game 1 as if it never happened.

They have the kind of confidence that is indefinable but obvious. The most talented team in this series still might be the Cardinals. In fact, the best one still might be the Cards — they've got a better batting average, better power numbers, better defense.

But the more confident one is the Astros. The one that looks too tough to overcome, with three games set for Minute Maid Park, is the Astros.

"I think we've been through so much together as a team, and that's what it is," said Lidge, who again put his cleat prints inside many Cardinals' heads with a scoreless eighth and ninth Thursday.

Lidge has given up just five hits — that's hits, not runs — against the Cardinals since 2003.

"We didn't really go out and pick anybody up, so the same guys have been at it the whole year," Lidge said. "That helped us."

They can come into Busch Stadium, where the Astros had lost five consecutive postseason games, and hardly flinch.

Someone in the organization said before Thursday's first pitch: "Enjoy the night. This will be the last game ever played at Busch Stadium."
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3395874
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

ehh...

A guy's gotta make a living. He filled his column.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

It ougta be pinned the way the '67 Cards pinned "Lonborg and Champagne".
      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Could be, but as long as we can't hit Lidge, probably not.

They have lidge, we have Izzy.... I wouldn't mind if Izzy just threw slow, it's the constant runners on base that drive me crazy!

Comment

I think I said that too last night, though not as legibly [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

++

Man, am I pissed, 007.

I just called the Astros front office, and I let them have it.

I think I might have ordered 2006 season tickets for the Texans in the process though.

All those computer-automated message services were a little confusing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(The Skeptic @ Oct 14 2005, 11:07 PM) Quoted post

++

Man, am I pissed, 007.

I think I might have ordered 2006 season tickets for the Texans in the process though.

All those computer-automated message services were a little confusing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
              [/b][/quote]
              Subtitles are kewl...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Hubris isn't necessarily bulletin board worthy, but it's not smart.

Someone's sure making it a lot easier to dislike the Astros, though.
                The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Those asscakes are planning to get swept at Minute Maid...

Excellent...

(Edit: And they're too dumb to realize we'll be playing World Series games there...duh...)
                  " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

QUOTE(The Skeptic @ Oct 14 2005, 11:07 PM) Quoted post

++

Man, am I pissed, 007.

[/b][/quote]

GS99 has left you in charge, I see...

Wonderful...at least it isn't a game night...
                    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

"Someone in the organization" could mean the bat boys

just sayin

Comment

"Bulletin board material" is for Harry High School players. IMO, if a pro athlete or team needs to have a sentence in a newspaper column to serve as a rallying point, then they have bigger issues.

As fat as the 1967 "Lonborg and champange" was concerned, let's not forget those were the Red Sox. They were destined to lose. The better team won.
                        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                        X