• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40/64 construction set to begin in 2007, finish in 2010

Highway 40 project gets final OK
    By Elisa Crouch
    POST-DISPATCH
    10/14/2005

The Missouri Highway Commission provided the final nod today necessary to rebuild Highway 40 — the largest interstate rehabilitating project the state has ever undertaken.

The unanimous vote was all the Missouri Department of Transportation needed to move forward with rebuilding 12 miles of Highway 40 (Interstate 64), from Sarah Street in St. Louis to Spoede Road in west St. Louis County. A contractor should be selected next September so construction can start in early 2007.

The $535 million effort is to be done by October 2010, according to the department. The work will be done “unreasonably fast,” said Dave Nichols, the department’s director of program delivery. The department is accelerating the work by allowing one contract team to do the design and construction in parallel, rather than in succession, trimming the construction time by as many as nine years.[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Slight update....

Highway 40 makeover gets in gear
    By Elisa Crouch
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/14/2005

The Missouri Highway Commission on Friday gave the final nod to rebuilding Highway 40 - the largest interstate rehab project the state has ever undertaken.

The unanimous vote was all the Missouri Department of Transportation needed to move forward with rebuilding nearly 11 miles of Highway 40 (Interstate 64) between Sarah Street in St. Louis and Spoede Road in west St. Louis County. An additional mile of work will be done on Interstate 170 between Brentwood Boulevard and Eager Road in Richmond Heights.

"This is a monumental day, isn't it?" Highway Commissioner Marjorie Schramm asked.

The department plans to hire a contractor next September so construction can start in early 2007. The $535 million effort should be completed by October 2010, according to the department.
    Advertisement

By then, the stretch of Highway 40 between I-170 and Spoede Road will have an additional lane each way. About 40 bridges will be rehabilitated or rebuilt, and an interchange will connect Highway 40 with I-170.

But before the stretch improves, transportation officials warned it will get much worse for the 150,000 vehicles that travel it daily.

"We will be conducting open heart surgery on St. Louis without much anesthesia," Transportation Director Pete Rahn said. "This is going to be a traumatic event. We are going to do everything we can to minimize the impact."

Considered to be the spine of the St. Louis region, parts of Highway 40 were built more than 65 years ago before most cars could top 45 mph. Engineers now consider its design obsolete. Entrance ramps are too short, interchanges are too close together and its foundation is crumbling.

Rahn told the commission that the project's price will not grow.

"It's our commitment to the commission and the citizens of this state and this region that we will deliver the greatest project we can for $535 million," he said.

The department is holding a public meeting about the project from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 27 at the St. Louis Science Center. Transportation officials plan to talk to people about the ongoing property acquisition process and construction.
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Its needed but the construction phase is going to suck.

I pass thru that entire stretch everyday right now.
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
      X