X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL fan sues over searches at Florida stadium

NFL fan sues over searches at Florida stadium

By Jim Loney

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Tampa Bay Buccaneers season ticket holder sued on Thursday to halt pat-down searches of fans entering the football team's stadium, saying such a search without any suspicion of wrongdoing violated his constitutional rights.

The suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida on behalf of high school teacher Gordon Johnston, challenges a policy approved by the Tampa Sports Authority in September requiring physical searches of every fan entering Raymond James Stadium for National Football League games.

"Football fans should not be forced to surrender our constitutional rights as the price of admission to the stadium," Johnston said in a release. "I am challenging these pat-down searches because I don't like the idea of myself, my wife and my friends being touched without our consent.

The suit, filed in Hillsborough County Circuit Court in Tampa, asks for a ruling that "suspicionless" searches of fans violate the constitutional right to freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.

The authority, which is a government body, approved a policy imposed by the NFL requiring security personnel to pat down every fan entering an NFL stadium.

Barbara Casey, a spokeswoman for the Tampa Sports Authority, said she could not comment specifically on the lawsuit because authority officials had not seen it.

"We need to do what the NFL has mandated," she said. "We're going on what the NFL lawyers have said, that it is constitutional."

ACLU officials said the NFL policy required a pat-down search only from the waist up, leaving open the possibility that someone could smuggle contraband or weapons into the stadium in pant legs.

"That's just one of the absurdities of the policy. We're not any safer, just a lot less free," said Howard Simon, executive director of the ACLU of Florida.

Source: REUTERS
    Make America Great For Once.

The Bengals wouldn't do it because Hamilton County, which owns the stadium, wouldn't pay for it.

It's silly to search people for a football game.

Comment

if they don't like it, don't enter the stadium then.
      Sponsor of:
      Brian Elliott
      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 14 2005, 07:49 PM) Quoted post

The Bengals wouldn't do it because Hamilton County, which owns the stadium, wouldn't pay for it.

[/b][/quote]

I disagree. There are alot of people who're not playing with even a half deck, not to mention a full one. I don't trust anybody.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 14 2005, 07:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I disagree. There are alot of people who're not playing with even a half deck, not to mention a full one. I don't trust anybody. [/b][/quote]
          Where does it stop? Can I search you when you enter the grocery?

What if they don't find a weapon, but something else like drugs?

Comment

QUOTE(The Kev @ Oct 14 2005, 08:54 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I disagree. There are alot of people who're not playing with even a half deck, not to mention a full one. I don't trust anybody.
            [/b][/quote]

Yup....plus....IT'S FLORIDA!.. We've got the freakin' wackiest of wacko's here for some reason and I have no problem with the searches as long as they don't confiscate my bow and arrow and Bud Light.

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Oct 14 2005, 08:04 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Yup....plus....IT'S FLORIDA!.. We've got the freakin' wackiest of wacko's here for some reason and I have no problem with the searches as long as they don't confiscate my bow and arrow and Bud Light.
              [/b][/quote]
              sorry but I got to take those from you but you can keep your diaper bag
              Sponsor of:
              Brian Elliott

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 14 2005, 09:06 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                [/b][/quote]

It is NOT a diaper bag!...It is a fuggin' Adult Incontinence Product for your information!

Comment

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Oct 14 2005, 08:11 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                  [/b][/quote]

It is NOT a diaper bag!...It is a fuggin' Adult Incontinence Product for your information!
                  [/b][/quote]
                  is that what the kids call it these days?
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 14 2005, 09:13 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Easy Ed @ Oct 14 2005, 08:11 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    is that what the kids call it these days?
                    [/b][/quote]

not exactly...they usually call it a shite rag, but WTF are ya gonna do? ....kids these days, I tell ya.

Comment

Working...
                    X