• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Keane announces retirement from international soccer

Keane retires from international soccer

Associated Press

10/14/2005 12:58:08 PM

DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) - Roy Keane announced his retirement from international football Friday, two days after Ireland failed to qualify for next year's World Cup.

"Like all football supporters in the country, I was disappointed that the Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for Germany," the 34-year-old MAnchester United mifielder said in a statement to Irish state broadcaster RTE.

Keane's broken foot sidelined him from Ireland's final two qualifiers: a 1-0 win at Cyprus and a 0-0 home draw against Switzerland. If Ireland had won, it would have finished second in Group 4 and earned a playoff spot.

"Much as I would like to continue playing for my country, I feel the time has come to retire from international football and concentrate on domestic football for whatever is the remainder of my career," Keane said.

He also said that media criticism of Ireland manager Brian Kerr, who is widely expected to be fired soon, was "both unjust and unfair."

Keane, who first retired from international soccer after a bust-up with then Ireland manager Mick McCarthy before the start of the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea, made 66 appearances for Ireland.[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

That's the luck of the Irish.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

After what he did to Mick in Japan a few years ago, I'm suprised they let him back on the team. Great player but a hot head. he'll be in the Hoops for a farewell tour next year.

Comment

Working...
      X