• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the WTF files

Lost on bike ride, brother and sister turn up 13 hours later
    By Valerie Schremp Hahn
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/14/2005

A brother and sister who left for a bike ride Thursday morning from their St. Peters home somehow ended up at a Brentwood supermarket about 13 hours and 25 miles later.

The siblings, Misha “Michael” Griessel, 13, and Lubov Griessel, 11, told police they got lost and have no idea how they got from their house on Red Ridge Drive in St. Peters, off Mid Rivers Mall Drive, to Whole Foods Market on Brentwood Boulevard, just south of Highway 40 (Interstate 64).

The siblings, who were adopted from Russia about two years ago, were off school Thursday. Their mother last saw them when she left for work around 8 a.m. Witnesses saw them on their bikes about a half hour later. Their mother called police when she came home that evening and discovered them missing.

Police released Michael and Lubov’s school pictures to the media and sent out a notice to area police departments. A few minutes after getting the notice, Brentwood police got a call at 9:41 p.m. It was a man at Whole Foods Market who said two kids had come up to him, saying they were lost and tired. The dispatcher figured these had to be the missing siblings, and sent police to the supermarket.

Police took Michael and Lubov back to their station and offered them food and drink, but they declined, said spokeswoman Sgt. Hattie Carman. “They were exhausted,” she said.

St. Peters police picked the kids up and took them home. They told police they were riding around when they got lost, though St. Peters police think they may have been heading to a friend’s house off Highway 94.

Police figure the siblings may have crossed the Missouri River at the Page Avenue Extension, where a bike path crosses the bridge. St. Peters Police spokesman Sgt. Dave Kuppler said he wonders why nobody who saw them riding on a busy road or highway called police.

The Griessel family could not be reached Friday.

St. Peters police are referring the siblings to juvenile authorities, where Kuppler expects they’ll get a stern warning. Kuppler pointed out the bicycles didn’t fit in the patrol car Thursday night, so they left them at the Brentwood station for the sibling’s parents to pick up later.

“Hopefully, they won’t need them for awhile,” Kuppler said. [/b][/quote]

How does this happen.

Before I moved here I never saw anyone ride their bike on an interstate. I see it here every month or so. Last week it was an old guy riding south on 55 near Broadway. I guess the hills are graded better. JJ.

Comment

The kids are lying. Someone gave them a ride over there and they don't want to admit it. Either that, or they had a specific destination in mind. No one is dumb enough to bike for 26 miles thinking they were lost.
      To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

QUOTE(chazzz @ Oct 14 2005, 03:34 PM) Quoted post

How does this happen.
        [/b][/quote]

They stopped and got directions from Magellan Sanders.
        Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(ort @ Oct 14 2005, 04:45 PM) Quoted post

The kids are lying. Someone gave them a ride over there and they don't want to admit it. Either that, or they had a specific destination in mind. No one is dumb enough to bike for 26 miles thinking they were lost.
          [/b][/quote]

They had to get a ride for some portion of it. Had to.

Comment

St. Peters police are referring the siblings to juvenile authorities, where Kuppler expects they’ll get a stern warning. Kuppler pointed out the bicycles didn’t fit in the patrol car Thursday night, so they left them at the Brentwood station for the sibling’s parents to pick up later. “Hopefully, they won’t need them for awhile,” Kuppler said.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] , Is there a part of this story being held back, or is he just a fascist
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I once I went on a walk with my ex-wife in a part of Iowa City that we weren't familiar with and got turned around. It wasn't until the sun started to set around 2:30 that we figured out we were walking the wrong way. It ended up being eight miles. No major body of water was involved. JJ.

Comment

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(ort @ Oct 14 2005, 04:45 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I know a bunch of people who are dumb enough to run for 26 miles and end up in the same place.

Comment

I do too.

When I tell people in STL that I'm from Iowa I get "where's that" at least 20% of the time. My new line is "by Chicago". That seems to mean something. JJ.

Comment

We moved here as I entered 8th grade. That winter I decided to take a bus trip to SLUH where I was going to be going to high school.

5 hours later I called my Dad asking him to come pick up as I was hopelessly lost. All I could tell him was that I was at a Central Hardware somewhere in the city. lol

I must have transferred four buses that day.

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Oct 14 2005, 04:46 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(chazzz @ Oct 14 2005, 03:34 PM) Quoted post

How does this happen.
                        [/b][/quote]

They stopped and got directions from Magellan Sanders.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

One time, me and a bunch of buddies crawled through the storm sewer from Rock Hill (we entered the sewer near the Rock Hill Quarry) and ended up popping out of a manhole, many sunless hours later, days maybe, in the middle of Manchester Road in front of A-1 Bicycle (Des Peres? Kirkwood maybe?) (is A-1 Bicycle still there?)

Comment

Lance has company...
                            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

One of the dumbest things I ever did was ride a bike across the Blanchette Bridge to see my girlfriend when I was 16 (my dad wouldn't let me use the car).

Another dumb thing I did on that bridge was walk on the catwalks under it.
                              RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                              You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X