Rest of the Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest of the Series

Okay, I don't post often. I usually enjoy lurking, reading posts, and getting some insight from - what seems to be - knowledgeable sports fans. So, thank you, one and all, for your comments and thoughts.

That being said, I may be Captin Obvious here, but I think Games 3 & 4 dictate the Cards' playoffs and our season. Thus far, the top two pitchers on each team have split. Now, it's down to Morris & Suppan.

We go down 3-1, and it's all over. We get out of this thing 2-2, I think the Cards are in a solid position. They've regained home field advantage. Carpenter goes again, and we take this thing back to Busch.

Unfortunately, I don't see Matt winning tomorrow. That damn ballpark is going to kill him. Sure, he may not have a melt down, but I can see two OR three cheap home runs knocking him out.

However, I think Soup is better than Backe, and I think Soup is a gamer. So, we get a W there, and I believe Carp can outduel Pettite in what will be a classic game 5.

Now, I have to say I'm being a bit of an optimist here. My good senses tell me we're probably going to come back to STL down 2-3, which is okay. We can bounce back (see last year).

For the record - not that it really matters - I say:

Game 3- Astros win - Series 1-2 - Rocket is the Rocket. Morris struggles.
    Game 4- Cards win - Series 2-2 - Soup and Backe are both solid, but not spectacular. Cards get a few late runs off Backe and pull it out.
    Game 5- Cards win - Series 3-2 - Carpenter & Pettite both pitch incredible games. Carp gets the best of Andy, once again. The series goes back to Busch.
    Game 6- Cards win - Series 4-2 - Mulder throws a gem and confirms - again - why we dealt for him, and the Birds get revenge on Oswalt.

I suppose I'm interested to see how everyone feels about the rest of the series. What are your predictions for how this thing will pan out? Can the Cards leave Houston up in the series, or will they have to scratch back like in '04?

What are your thoughts???
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Every game is huge... and every game is huger then the last one.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

I'm not taking it for granted that Clemens will throttle us like Oswalt did, nor am I taking it for granted that Morris will not pitch well. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on game three. Morris isn't facing the Sox at Fenway; he's facing the limp-dicked Astros. He can beat them.

I like us for games four and five, and I'll take my chances with games six and seven.

If they can beat us the way they did last night three more times, then I'll have no complaint with going home. But I simply don't believe they can.

(Unless Edmonds doesn't do anything, and Sanders and Walker are out or ineffective. Houston's chances go up considerably under those circumstances.)

Comment

Soup going in Game 4 makes me a little nervous only because it will be 10 days or something since he last pitched. Hope he doesn't have control problems.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I think you're pretty close to accurate.

Carpenter is our ace. You can never assume anything 100% in baseball, but we can expect our ace to deliver a win. So at worst we come back down 3-2.

Then we need to steal one. I can see us stealing game 3. Morris, surprisingly, has good numbers at MMP and none of them came this year (his so called "decent" year, compared to last).

We can certainly win game 4 as we hit Backe well. That is not to say Suppan is Cy Young against the Astros (2-6, 4.75 excl. playoffs), but he didnt have good numbers against some of the teams he handled down the stretch, either.

Win 1, and take Game 5 as we can expect with our ace, and it's 3-2 with Dan Haren, errr Mark Mulder on the hill.
          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

I still expect to win this series. I said Cards in 7 from the beginning and I still believe that.

Comment

The realist in me really tells me we're going to come home down 2-3.

I'm virtually 100% definite in my mind that we can AT LEAST win one game down there. Then, I agree with you Reggie. I'll take my chances in Busch. I feel like Carp has something to prove, and he will NOT lose this postseason.

That being said, the Cards come back down 2-3. Mulder wins a tough game 6. Who do you pitch 7? Do you go back to Morris, or do you bring Carp - your ace - to win it all? Or, does it depend on how the two pitchers perform in their subequent starts?

I would bring Carp back, regardless. I know that might screw us for the WS, but we have to get there first.
              Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Oct 14 2005, 10:29 AM) Quoted post

I'm virtually 100% definite in my mind that we can AT LEAST win one game down there. Then, I agree with you Reggie. I'll take my chances in Busch. I feel like Carp has something to prove, and he will NOT lose this postseason.

That being said, the Cards come back down 2-3. Mulder wins a tough game 6. Who do you pitch 7? Do you go back to Morris, or do you bring Carp - your ace - to win it all? Or, does it depend on how the two pitchers perform in their subequent starts?

I would bring Carp back, regardless. I know that might screw us for the WS, but we have to get there first.
                [/b][/quote]

Wouldn't that be Carp on 2 days rest?

Not a good idea.

Comment

QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Oct 14 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

Carpenter is our ace. You can never assume anything 100% in baseball, but we can expect our ace to deliver a win. So at worst we come back down 3-2.

Then we need to steal one. I can see us stealing game 3. Morris, surprisingly, has good numbers at MMP and none of them came this year (his so called "decent" year, compared to last).

We can certainly win game 4 as we hit Backe well. That is not to say Suppan is Cy Young against the Astros (2-6, 4.75 excl. playoffs), but he didnt have good numbers against some of the teams he handled down the stretch, either.

Win 1, and take Game 5 as we can expect with our ace, and it's 3-2 with Dan Haren, errr Mark Mulder on the hill.
                  [/b][/quote]

Okay, I'm being lazy here and my memory is failing me, but did Morris not pitch at all in MMP this year?

Comment

It's all about the bullpen.

If something doesn't change in a hurry, we're going to have all winter to bemoan the loss of Al Reyes. Nobody seems capable right now of coming in and getting three outs without giving up a run.

If that continues, we lose, pure and simple.
                    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 14 2005, 09:30 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(house77 @ Oct 14 2005, 10:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Wouldn't that be Carp on 2 days rest?

Not a good idea.
                      [/b][/quote]

I know that statistics aren't good for guys on limited rest, but this is your season. Don't you want your top guy dictating whether or not you win the series? I suppose this is the exact same argument from last year all over again.

Comment

Game three is big for us..Backe has been so-so,and carpenter will probably wipe our ass again

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Oct 14 2005, 10:31 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Oct 14 2005, 09:26 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Okay, I'm being lazy here and my memory is failing me, but did Morris not pitch at all in MMP this year?
                          [/b][/quote]
                          nope. he only had 2 games vs Houston all year, both at Busch and went 1-1, 3.27

He beat Brandon Backe on April 24: 5ip, 5h, 2er, 4k, 1bb (only 2nd start of the season)
                          He lost to Roy Oswalt on Sept 27: 6ip, 5h, 2er, 3k, 1bb
                          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 14 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post

If something doesn't change in a hurry, we're going to have all winter to bemoan the loss of Al Reyes. Nobody seems capable right now of coming in and getting three outs without giving up a run.

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised it Marquis becomes our next 7th & 8th inning guy. The bridge to *gulp* Izzy.

I think that's possibly what TLR told him when they had their heart to heart that the Post wrote about this morning.

Comment

QUOTE(house77 @ Oct 14 2005, 10:35 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 14 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised it Marquis becomes our next 7th & 8th inning guy. The bridge to *gulp* Izzy.

I think that's possibly what TLR told him when they had their heart to heart that the Post wrote about this morning.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              I agree. I think it'd be a good confidence boost for Marquis to get out there [almost] every day. He certainly got the job done against the Astros this year and for him to be able to pitch more often would only enhance his apparently already huge ego.

Comment

Working...
                              X