• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott McClellan Says Helen Thomas Opposes 'War on Terrorism'

Scott McClellan Says Helen Thomas Opposes 'War on Terrorism'

By E&P Staff

Published: October 13, 2005 3:50 PM ET

NEW YORK Questions today from longtime White House reporter Helen Thomas caused White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan to declare that she opposes the war on terrorism. His response caused one of Thomas's colleagues, Terry Moran, to leap to her defense.

Here is the exchange from the official transcript:

THOMAS What does the President mean by "total victory" -- that we will never leave Iraq until we have "total victory"? What does that mean?

McCLELLAN: Free and democratic Iraq in the heart of the Middle East, because a free and democratic Iraq in the heart of the Middle East will be a major blow to the ambitions --

THOMAS If they ask us to leave, then we'll leave?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm trying to respond. A free and democratic Iraq in the heart of the broader Middle East will be a major blow to the ambitions of al Qaeda and their terrorist associates. They want to establish or impose their rule over the broader Middle East -- we saw that in the Zawahiri letter that was released earlier this week by the intelligence community.

THOMAS They also know we invaded Iraq.

McCLELLAN: Well, Helen, the President recognizes that we are engaged in a global war on terrorism. And when you're engaged in a war, it's not always pleasant, and it's certainly a last resort. But when you engage in a war, you take the fight to the enemy, you go on the offense. And that's exactly what we are doing. We are fighting them there so that we don't have to fight them here. September 11th taught us --

THOMAS It has nothing to do with -- Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

McCLELLAN: Well, you have a very different view of the war on terrorism, and I'm sure you're opposed to the broader war on terrorism. The President recognizes this requires a comprehensive strategy, and that this is a broad war, that it is not a law enforcement matter.

Terry.

TERRY MORAN On what basis do you say Helen is opposed to the broader war on terrorism?

McCLELLAN: Well, she certainly expressed her concerns about Afghanistan and Iraq and going into those two countries. I think I can go back and pull up her comments over the course of the past couple of years.

MORAN And speak for her, which is odd.

McCLELLAN: No, I said she may be, because certainly if you look at her comments over the course of the past couple of years, she's expressed her concerns --

THOMAS I'm opposed to preemptive war, unprovoked preemptive war.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- she's expressed her concerns.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the good old days, McClellan could have avoided this kind of confrontation by simply cutting off Helen and then fielding the following question from that faggot, phoney reporter who was planted into these briefings by the White House:

Phoney Reporter: Mr. McClellan, to what single stragegy does the President attribute his tremendous success in this war on terror to ... or does he consider it to be more like a combination of brilliant stagegies?

McClellan: I appeciate, and I'm sure that the President appreciates, the premise of your patriotic question ...
    ... ... ... ... ... ... .... I'm sorry, our time is up. Thanks for all your questions.

What was phoney-reporters name? He brought a lot to the table, didn't he? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

REUSE, RECYCLE, REPEAT!
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Oct 14 2005, 09:53 AM) Quoted post

REUSE, RECYCLE, REPEAT!
      [/b][/quote]

That was hilarious [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
      “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Oct 14 2005, 09:53 AM) Quoted post

REUSE, RECYCLE, REPEAT!
        [/b][/quote]

Great link:

DON"T CHANGE COURSE IN MID-DREAM. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
        Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

So is she opposed to the action in Iraq and Afghanistan or not?
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 14 2005, 10:17 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

>> THOMAS I'm opposed to preemptive war, unprovoked preemptive war.

Sounds like many of us here. Not into the Iraq thing.
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 14 2005, 08:19 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Sounds like many of us here. Not into the Iraq thing. [/b][/quote]

Which would invclude the present scenarios by her judgement, no?

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 14 2005, 10:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Huh?
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 14 2005, 08:30 AM) Quoted post
                  QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 14 2005, 10:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Huh? [/b][/quote]

Did he lie, or we are just irate because he said it?

It seems silly, man. It's obvious, by her own admission she opposed action in Iraq and sounds like Afghanistan. Seriously, to me no big deal. Differing opinions abound.

So why the outrage on him saying it in context that did not see m vindictive.

The answer or response should have been:

Yes Scott, I do oppose your bullshit expansion of your so called WOT. That why I ask you these questions, I am representing those that do oppose your ambiguous definition.

Comment

lazy, you're incorrectly correlating the war on terrorism and Iraq.

They are not one and the same.

Furthermore, if you somehow have been asleep for the past 3 years and believe they are, being against the war in Iraq is not the same as being against the war on terrorism.

Terrorism has no borders.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 14 2005, 09:28 AM) Quoted post

Furthermore, if you somehow have been asleep for the past 3 years and believe they are, being against the war in Iraq is not the same as being against the war on terrorism.

Terrorism has no borders. [/b][/quote]

did you read my post, seriously. I said just that.

Comment

QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Then why are you defending McClellan's incorrect assertion of "I'm sure you're opposed to the broader war on terrorism. "?

Not only is it factually incorrect, it's completely improper and unprofessional for a press secretary to say.

He's an idiot and he fucked up. Given the current administration, it's not a surprise, but the thread really begins and ends there.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Another example re: how they handle dissent and challenges - personal attacks.
                          The Dude abides.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 14 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post
                            QUOTE(lazydaze @ Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Then why are you defending McClellan's incorrect assertion of "I'm sure you're opposed to the broader war on terrorism. "?

Not only is it factually incorrect, it's completely improper and unprofessional for a press secretary to say.

He's an idiot and he fucked up. Given the current administration, it's not a surprise, but the thread really begins and ends there. [/b][/quote]

I am not defending anyone, it seems like it was an accurate exchange of differing opinions on the direction of the WOT. It's not something new to include Iraq and Afghanistan in the WOT. That's been done since 2003. Some disagree, why is that a bad thing.

It's true, and I would assume Helen and other would be proud to be able to make that distinction, certainly as the general populace comes around to basically believing the same thing.

McCLELLAN: Well, you have a very different view of the war on terrorism, and I'm sure you're opposed to the broader war on terrorism.[/b][/quote]

Yes Scott, I do oppose your bullshit expansion of your so called WOT. That why I ask you these questions, I am representing those that do oppose your ambiguous definition.

Comment

We are fighting a lot of wars: Poverty, Drugs, Illiteracy, Racism, Homophobia, Terror, Iraq.

You're either with us or agin us.

Soctt's got a tough job.

Comment

Working...
                              X