Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minute Maid Park Thread

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Comment

Everyone hates Minute Maid Park at Union Station (MMPUS). So sad.

Here is my honest take

The problem with MMPUS starts with the Astrodome. After the whole, Wow we are playing indoors novelty wore off (which was probably sometime in the early 70’s) people realized the Dome was one of the blandest venues in all of baseball. Hell, even though it was called the ASTRO-dome it was primarily a football stadium. The seats were so far from the action you felt like you were watching the game from a mile away. The turf was in terrible condition. The acoustics were horrible. Stuff like that. So when the plans were being developed for a new ballpark the idea was to lets make this one original and they went a little overboard.

Here are a few of the hot topics:

The Train - I don't know about you, but when I think of Houston the last thing I think about are trains. I realize the ballpark was built where the Old Union Station was located, but a train hadn't rolled out of that station in 50 years. Sadly, the planner found a theme and went nuts. Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up. I have an October birthday, early October. Now my mom, she was all about themes, so she thought a Halloween theme was a great idea, even though Halloween is like 3 weeks away from my birthday. So every year there was a pumpkin cake, a pumpkin piñata, spiders in the punch bowl, you name it. It was almost as the Great Pumpkin himself shit all over the place. Anyway, what was my point? Oh yea...same theme overload problem with MMPUS, but with trains.

Center Field - The hill and the flag poll are just dumb. I'm sure it will take Willy snapping his foot clean off his leg to get the damn thing removed and leveled. Rumor had it that if Beltran signed changes were going to be made. Guess we will never know.

Crawford Boxes – 315, that is the distance down the left field line and the wall is about 15 feet high. Yes that is short; yes I wished it were more like 320 or 325. However, 315 is not the shortest line in baseball. Fenway is 310 down the line (but yea the wall is much higher - 37 feet) & Yankee Stadium is 314 down the right field line. Trust me, the Crawford Boxes Give’th and the Crawford Boxes Take’th Away. As Lance said, we didn't build it, we just play in it.

The roof - Love it. Yes, I know baseball needs to be played outside. I am also not a fan of the lets keep it closed to get more noise. What I am a fan of is the lack of rainouts. During the summer it rains all the freaking time in Houston. If there wasn't a roof you can bet we would lead the league in rainouts.

Everything else - Nice place to watch a game. HUGE scoreboard. Very close to the action. Large seats. Short aisles. Tons of expensive food options. All the modern bells and whistles that come with a new ballpark.

Comment

QUOTE(Sheriff Blaylock @ Oct 14 2005, 09:14 AM) Quoted post

Here is my honest take

The problem with MMPUS starts with the Astrodome. After the whole, Wow we are playing indoors novelty wore off (which was probably sometime in the early 70’s) people realized the Dome was one of the blandest venues in all of baseball. Hell, even though it was called the ASTRO-dome it was primarily a football stadium. The seats were so far from the action you felt like you were watching the game from a mile away. The turf was in terrible condition. The acoustics were horrible. Stuff like that. So when the plans were being developed for a new ballpark the idea was to lets make this one original and they went a little overboard.

The Train - I don't know about you, but when I think of Houston the last thing I think about are trains. I realize the ballpark was built where the Old Union Station was located, but a train hadn't rolled out of that station in 50 years. Sadly, the planner found a theme and went nuts. Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up. I have an October birthday, early October. Now my mom, she was all about themes, so she thought a Halloween theme was a great idea, even though Halloween is like 3 weeks away from my birthday. So every year there was a pumpkin cake, a pumpkin piñata, spiders in the punch bowl, you name it. It was almost as the Great Pumpkin himself shit all over the place. Anyway, what was my point? Oh yea...same theme overload problem with MMPUS, but with trains.

Center Field - The hill and the flag poll are just dumb. I'm sure it will take Willy snapping his foot clean off his leg to get the damn thing removed and leveled. Rumor had it that if Beltran signed changes were going to be made. Guess we will never know.

Crawford Boxes – 315, that is the distance down the right field line and the wall is about 15 feet high. Yes that is short; yes I wished it were more like 320 or 325. However, 315 is not the shortest line in baseball. Fenway is 310 down the line (but yea the wall is much higher - 37 feet) & Yankee Stadium is 314 down the left field line. Trust me, the Crawford Boxes Give’th and the Crawford Boxes Take’th Away. As Lance said, we didn't build it, we just play in it.

The roof - Love it. Yes, I know baseball needs to be played outside. I am also not a fan of the lets keep it closed to get more noise. What I am a fan of is the lack of rainouts. During the summer it rains all the freaking time in Houston. If there wasn't a roof you can bet we would lead the league in rainouts.

Everything else - Nice place to watch a game. HUGE scoreboard. Very close to the action. Large seats. Short aisles. Tons of expensive food options. All the modern bells and whistles that come with a new ballpark.
          [/b][/quote]

Sheriff, you rock.

Be sure to stick around when this whole thing is over.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

MM is not the bandbox its been labeled...
            Yes,the crawfords suck,and get cheap homers..But rf is about normal,as are the alleys.Center is 436.

It got branded Wrigley junior when it opened in 2000,because our spoiled pitchers (hampton,kile,lima) were used to the dome,and those crawfords killed them.Eventually,we got pitchers who never pitched in the dome and could handle it.
            Stunningly MM was the toughest park to hit in around mid-June..I'm not sure where we finished,but its probably surprising.

Yeah,the train is dorky and the hill is weird,but very few balls make it to the hill.

Comment

QUOTE(Argon @ Oct 14 2005, 10:26 AM) Quoted post

Yes,the crawfords suck,and get cheap homers..But rf is about normal,as are the alleys.Center is 436.

It got branded Wrigley junior when it opened in 2000,because our spoiled pitchers (hampton,kile,lima) were used to the dome,and those crawfords killed them.Eventually,we got pitchers who never pitched in the dome and could handle it.
              Stunningly MM was the toughest park to hit in around mid-June..I'm not sure where we finished,but its probably surprising.

Yeah,the train is dorky and the hill is weird,but very few balls make it to the hill.
              [/b][/quote]

What about your stupid phuckin mound in centerfield? That is certainly a nice touch.
              I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Oct 14 2005, 09:28 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What about your stupid phuckin mound in centerfield? That is certainly a nice touch.
                [/b][/quote]
                Its dumb,but cums into play very little..About the only controversy out there,was ex-Brewer Richie Sexson bounced one off the flag pole out there ,which is about 430 feet...it was not a homer as the pole is on the hill,not over the wall.

NOTE..(many teams have problems with this,including Chipper Jones)....If a ball hits the roof in FOUL territory,it is dead....catching it has no effect.Its the same as if it bounced off the dugout rail...foul.

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 14 2005, 10:18 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Sheriff Blaylock @ Oct 14 2005, 09:14 AM) Quoted post

Here is my honest take

Crawford Boxes – 315, that is the distance down the right field line and the wall is about 15 feet high. Yes that is short; yes I wished it were more like 320 or 325. However, 315 is not the shortest line in baseball. Fenway is 310 down the line (but yea the wall is much higher - 37 feet) & Yankee Stadium is 314 down the left field line. Trust me, the Crawford Boxes Give’th and the Crawford Boxes Take’th Away. As Lance said, we didn't build it, we just play in it.

[/b][/quote]

Sheriff, you rock.

Be sure to stick around when this whole thing is over.
                  [/b][/quote]

++

I was going to say the same thing.
                  Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(Argon @ Oct 14 2005, 10:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                    Its dumb,but cums into play very little..About the only controversy out there,was ex-Brewer Richie Sexson bounced one off the flag pole out there ,which is about 430 feet...it was not a homer as the pole is on the hill,not over the wall.

NOTE..(many teams have problems with this,including Chipper Jones)....If a ball hits the roof in FOUL territory,it is dead....catching it has no effect.Its the same as if it bounced off the dugout rail...foul.
                    [/b][/quote]

It may not come into play much, but it is still stupid. Mounds are supposed to be in the middle of the diamond; for pitchers to pitch off of. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I'm here until I'm gone, then I'm somewhere else!

Comment

QUOTE(StlJoe @ Oct 14 2005, 09:34 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Argon @ Oct 14 2005, 10:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

It may not come into play much, but it is still stupid. Mounds are supposed to be in the middle of the diamond; for pitchers to pitch off of. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                      [/b][/quote]
                      True....Crosley field had one,so our team president (tal smith,who worked at Crosley) had to have 1...rumor is,he put it in the blueprint as a joke,figuring Drayton weould reject it.l

Comment

[/b][/quote]

Swing and a miss..
                        Another mis-statement by the visiting troll...Kile was winning 20 games for us in 2000...
                        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I hate that fucking ballpark.
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Lima was the chief head case that was freaked out by MMPUS. But then again Jose gets freaked out by a lot of things, especially Herpes.

I remember in the 2000 season (the first at MMPUS) some buddies and I snuck out of work for a business fan's special. The Astros had gotten off to one of their usual slow starts, but it was still early in the season (May I think) so no worries. Lima was on the mound that day and it was one of the worst performances I had ever seen by an Astros pitcher. In like 2 1/3 innings Lima Time had given up a ton of runs and something in the range of 5 Home Runs. If I am not mistaken he set some kind of record that day, and not one of those good ones.

Terrible. Just terrible. I remember thinking to myself THIS guy is supposed to be our ACE. Didn't work out too well. 2000 went down as the only losing season my team has had since 91.

Comment

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Working...
                              X