What to do when your dog excessively digs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when your dog excessively digs

My family's first dog (a wonderful golden retriever) passed away last September. During the summer of this year, we decided to get another dog (another golden retriever). I initially thought it would be a bad idea to get another golden retriever, as we would be comparing the new dog to the old dog, since the old dog was about as special as they get. Well, we got the dog anyway. Ever since the summer, the dog has been constantly digging. I came home today to see dirt scattered all across the porch and a hole about a foot deep near the porch. I didn't scold her...instead, I told her to come near the hole, and as she did she started cowering down as if she expected me to yell at her. So, I concluded that she knows digging is a bad thing, but she does it anyway.
    This never went on with my former dog. I'm just asking for some opinions on how to go about this. My dad wants to give her away (or so he says), but the two women in our house think that's an awful idea, yet they don't bond with her at all as they did with the former dog. All I can say is that I'm confused.
    In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Landmines.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

QUOTE(ort @ Oct 12 2005, 05:00 PM) Quoted post

Landmines.
        [/b][/quote]
        We wouldn't want to have to clean up the mess.
        In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

Digging is a good behavior. It's best rewarded with chocolate.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Did you get the dog from a breeder or did you adopt from a shelter?
            Official Lounge Sponsor:
            The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Give the poor dog a bone.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(Johnny H @ Oct 12 2005, 05:02 PM) Quoted post

Did you get the dog from a breeder or did you adopt from a shelter?
                [/b][/quote]
                breeder
                In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

I immediately thought of the scene in The Burbs when you started talking about your dog digging up your yard.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

It's trying to get in.
                    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

This is interesting.

I just read a great article on how dogs think.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 12 2005, 05:02 PM) Quoted post
                        Digging is a good behavior. It's best rewarded with chocolate. [/b][/quote]
                        He said digging. Not wearing leather pants.

Comment

I used to own a Golden, and it dug. My mother owns a Golden, and it digs. My uncle owns two Goldens, and they both dig.

To be honest, I'm shocked your first didn't dig.

Comment

Why Dogs Dig (pdf)
                            Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

QUOTE(210 @ Oct 12 2005, 05:07 PM) Quoted post

I used to own a Golden, and it dug. My mother owns a Golden, and it digs. My uncle owns two Goldens, and they both dig.

To be honest, I'm shocked your first didn't dig.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              How often and to what degree?

We're just not sure what to do. My dad is pretty harsh with her when she does it. He doesn't hit her, but he yells at her while making her lie in the dirt...scares the crap out of her. Yet, she isn't even regressing.
                              In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

Working...
                              X