X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krzyzewski to lead USA hoops squad

Report: Coach K to lead USA basketball
    ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Duke's Mike Krzyzewski was picked to coach the U.S. basketball team for the 2006 world championships and 2008 Beijing Olympics, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The Hall of Famer was chosen during a USA Basketball conference call last week, said the person, who did not wish to be identified because the announcement has not been made. Official word was supposed to come Oct. 29.

The American men are trying regroup after finishing sixth at the 2002 world championships in Indianapolis and third at the 2004 Olympics. The team at the Athens Games was without several top NBA players and was coached by Larry Brown.

Those teams were the first not to win gold medals in World Championship or Olympic competition since play was opened to professionals.

The U.S. Olympic Committee had no comment Wednesday. USA Basketball media relations director Craig Miller wouldn't confirm or deny the report but said he wasn't told to have an announcement pending anytime soon.

The USA Basketball executive committee holds its annual meeting Nov. 9-10 in Colorado Springs, Colo., where members are expected to go over budget and other issues, including possibly confirming the choice for the next head coach.

Sources told ESPN.com that the next staff of the World Championship team would be split with two NCAA and two NBA coaches.

Krzyzewski, who led Duke to three national championships, would be become the first college coach to run a U.S. men's basketball team at the worlds or Olympics since NBA players began playing in such competition in 1992.

Krzyzewski was an assistant on the U.S. Dream Team at the 1992 Barcelona Games that was coached by Chuck Daly.

The appointment was first reported by USA Today.

Duke spokesman Jon Jackson told the AP the school would not comment on the report. He said Krzyzewski is out of town and unavailable for comment until Friday, when the team holds is preseason media day.

The USA Basketball selection committee is led by Jerry Colangelo, chief executive officer of the Phoenix Suns.

Krzyzewski will coach a team of NBA players possibly mixed with college talent -- players Colangelo has said he expects to make a commitment to the World Championships in Japan and Olympics in Beijing.

The U.S. will play in 2007 if it doesn't win the 2006 World Championships and qualify for the Olympics. So, this could be a three-summer coaching and playing commitment for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Training camp for the 2006 World Championships in Japan would begin the last week of July, likely on the West Coast.

Information from senior writer Andy Katz was used in this report.[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Coach K can suck my dick.
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

QUOTE(davhaf @ Oct 12 2005, 01:08 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

you mispelled "can suck my dick"

It's really spelled "is much better than Lute Olsen"
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I hear he fainted when he got the news.

Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

QUOTE(TarHeelBlues @ Oct 12 2005, 01:13 PM) Quoted post

I hear he fainted when he got the news.

[/b][/quote]

AWESOME!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 12 2005, 01:12 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

you mispelled "can suck my dick"

It's really spelled "is much better than Lute Olsen"
            [/b][/quote]

In his dreams.....
            I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

[/b][/quote]
              I'd say ++ but you know.......

Seriously I can't stand Coach K in any venue.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

You think he'll bring Quin in as an assistant?

"It would have been difficult for us to discuss it with his dick in my mouth, so evidently I don't know him that well."

Comment

Sweet, now if they would just put together a real team.

Comment

Oh God, I can only imagine all the bloomin American Express commercials that will be running. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm of the opinion that the national hoops coach should be a year-round, 8-10 year commitment. It would be ideal for retired coaches like Dean Smith, John Thompson, Rick Majerus, etc. That way, they could spend the downtime between qualifiers, games, etc. scouting other countries, scouting our own players, etc.

I'm not as hard on Krzyewski as others, and that's difficult considering I'm one of several hardcore Heel fans that frequent the foram, but I think that this is only a one olympiad solution. I would have preferred a long term plan with people in decision making authority for more than just 3-4 years.

Say hello to your starting forwards for the USA...Greg Meek and Shavlik Randolph.....
                      'Ah, to be a bird. To fly the skies, sing your song, and best of all, occassionally pluck someone's eyes out.' - George Carlin.

Comment

Working...
                      X