• Show
Clear All

• Holy Day Poses Problem for Cards Fans

Just for you Taz:

Holy day poses problem for Cards fans
    By Tim O'Neil
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/11/2005

When Marsha Kunin received a ticket for tonight's opener against the Houston Astros, she quickly checked the date. It was Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar.

Her decision was an easy one.

"I traded the tickets for a game next week," Kunin said Tuesday. "As big a Cardinals fan as I am, I wouldn't think of not being at synagogue. Not even for the World Series."

Kunin, 59, is administrative assistant at United Hebrew Congregation, a Reform synagogue in Chesterfield. She has followed the Cardinals since her father began taking her to old Sportsman's Park when she was a little girl. She shares season tickets with a group of friends, and always plays the radio broadcast in her office on day games.

"People always check with me for the score," she said.

She also is true to her faith.

Yom Kippur, sometimes known as the "Sabbath of Sabbaths," is a day of atonement. Jews are to begin fasting at sunset tonight and seek God's forgiveness for sins. The fast doesn't end until sunset Thursday, and families traditionally meet that evening for dinner to break the fast.

Kunin's decision is one that many Jews have made over tonight's game, and have done in years past. She speaks with great admiration for Sandy Koufax, the Hall of Fame pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers who declined to pitch in the first game of the 1965 World Series because it was played on Yom Kippur.

Teammate Don Drysdale pitched that game, on Oct. 6, 1965, but the Dodgers lost to the Minnesota Twins. Koufax lost the second game, but won games five and seven to help lead his team to the championship.

Kunin swapped tickets with another member of her group and will attend game six of the National League Championship Series on Oct. 18. A fan who values a pennant over a seat in Busch Stadium, she is hoping the Cardinals have taken the league series by then.

Rabbi Howard G. Kaplansky of United Hebrew said the priority for Jews is simple: "This is a day when we fast and appear before God to seek forgiveness for the sins we commit against God." That effectively rules out baseball games, he said.

A veteran of the pulpit, Kaplansky was ready with a joke. He offered this one Tuesday: "A man goes to his rabbi for guidance. He said he's never missed a high holy day, but this is the last game of the series and he has a ticket. He doesn't know what to do.

"'Haven't you heard of the VCR?' his rabbi asks.

"The man responds, 'You mean we can tape the services?'"

It's just a joke, Kaplansky gently reminds his flock.
    [/b][/quote]
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
    Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
    Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
    Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
    NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
    LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

I guess that means Jason Marquis will be unavailable out of the pen for game 1....
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Cardinals Baseball is the greatest religion of all.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 12 2005, 11:58 AM) Quoted post

I guess that means Jason Marquis will be unavailable out of the pen for game 1....
        [/b][/quote]
        Was it ever confirmed whether he was devout or not?

Comment

A guy called into KFNS yesterday about that, wanted to see if somebody would trade tickets with him for tomorrow night.

Comment

http://www.truechristian.com/
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Working...
            X