Coaching kids soccer ... continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching kids soccer ... continued

OK, so I am 4-5 weeks into the season of my U10 boys team. I have a situation.

I have 2 kids that are good keepers. They can catch the ball very well and have a concept of making a save, etc.

Problem is, EVERYONE on the team wants to play keeper. Every single one of them. Even my best center mid and my best forward.

So today in practice I will try to determine who else could maybe get in there and be decent. The trouble is I know from having done drills where they all took turns at keeper that some of them just aren't any good at it. Can't catch the ball, are scared of the ball, are too slow to react, etc.

So question: do I just tell these kids no, you can't play keeper? On the one hand, I don't care about winning and losing, but once the game starts, the kids really DO care. So putting a kid back in goal that sucks ... well, not sure if that's fair to everyone.

Thoughts?
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Trade the ones that complain for a couple of 8 year old uber prospects, then use the extra cash to sure up your backline.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

I should add: this is not select soccer ... not even parochial. So it's not top-flight competition. Just kids trying to have fun.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Is this a club team or a rec team?

If it is a club team, where there is more emphasis on winning (rightly or wrongly), I'd find a couple of kids and stick with them. If it's a rec team, let everyone play everywhere and learn the game.

My daughter is 11 and on a club team. A couple of years ago, everyone wanted to play goalie too. Some got their chance, realized it wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be and gave it up.

I just saw your added post.

Let them play wherever they want then. Being involved in a club environment takes some of the fun out of it to be honest. There is a message board on stlsoccer.net. If you click the link for club soccer, you can find all kinds of posts about the games from the weekend. People asking for predictions and people who know tendancies of players who are 11 or 12 years old. Sickening really.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

try to reinforce them about the postion they are currently playing. "I can't afford to lose you at forward to play goalie.. you are too valuable there."

Comment

It's your job to beat it into them that they aren't good goalies.

Try a steel-toed boot.

If that doesn't work, try coaching a less ghey sport....maybe something like Figure Skating.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I thought that Megan's Law stopped you from coaching children?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 12 2005, 09:29 AM) Quoted post

Is this a club team or a rec team?

If it is a club team, where there is more emphasis on winning (rightly or wrongly), I'd find a couple of kids and stick with them. If it's a rec team, let everyone play everywhere and learn the game.

My daughter is 11 and on a club team. A couple of years ago, everyone wanted to play goalie too. Some got their chance, realized it wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be and gave it up.
                [/b][/quote]

Definitely rec. Thx for the advice.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dooz @ Oct 12 2005, 09:29 AM) Quoted post

try to reinforce them about the postion they are currently playing. "I can't afford to lose you at forward to play goalie.. you are too valuable there."
                  [/b][/quote]

That's exactly what I told my center mid ... trouble is, he's probably the best keeper on the team as well!
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Oct 12 2005, 09:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Thank goodness for the grandfather clause.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 12 2005, 09:31 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Oct 12 2005, 09:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Thank goodness for the grandfather clause.
                      [/b][/quote]
                      You got to play with Grandparents, too?

KINKY!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I think the thing that is most appealing to kids about goalie is that is the one position that is so unique.. I remember when I played soccer as a kid everybody was always kind of jealous of the goalie, like he was the most important player. Probably has to do with getting to wear the gloves and goalie shirt.. I know that seems dumb but I remember thinking that as a kid.

Comment

There is a message board on stlsoccer.net. If you click the link for club soccer, you can find all kinds of posts about the games from the weekend. People asking for predictions and people who know tendancies of players who are 11 or 12 years old. Sickening really.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          If you think that is bad, you should deal with hockey parents. There is a messsage board for Chicagoland youth hockey and it is really pathetic.

Comment

Weird...when I was little, nobody wanted to play goalie.

Tell them that the goal-scorers get the chicks.

Comment

QUOTE(Blue Chicago @ Oct 12 2005, 09:38 AM) Quoted post

There is a message board on stlsoccer.net. If you click the link for club soccer, you can find all kinds of posts about the games from the weekend. People asking for predictions and people who know tendancies of players who are 11 or 12 years old. Sickening really.
                              [/b][/quote]
                              If you think that is bad, you should deal with hockey parents. There is a messsage board for Chicagoland youth hockey and it is really pathetic.
                              [/b][/quote]

Parents ruin youth sports - period.
                              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                              X