Someone tell me why I am wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone tell me why I am wrong

I just can't shake this feeling. The feeling that the Cards are going to get it handed to them this series. I know they shouldn't. I know they are the better team. I want them to win, badly. I just have this feeling.

Reasons I am thinking this way -

1 - This Astros team was 15 games under .500 and 18 games out of first. Now they are in the NLCS
    2 - Chris Carpenter has not been himself lately. Does anyone really believe that he had a hard time getting up for games after the Cards clinched? He was in the hunt (if not frontrunner) for the Cy Young.
    3 - Playing in Minute Maid.
    4 - Morris pitching in Minute Maid
    5 - Pujols does not seem to be himself (when was the last time he went yard?)
    6 - Edmonds has not been himself all year
    7 - Karma(?) Odds (?) How many times can the Ass-tros get that close but never make the series?
    8 - Mulders injury
    9 - Rolens injury (been out all year, I know. But Nunez WAS playing well...not so much anymore)
    10 - Pettites experiance
    11 - Clemens experiance

Someone talk some sense back into me. I don't like feeling this way.

Good reason. Starting pitching and bullpen.

Comment

QUOTE(Hollywood @ Oct 12 2005, 09:35 AM) Quoted post

I just can't shake this feeling. The feeling that the Cards are going to get it handed to them this series. I know they shouldn't. I know they are the better team. I want them to win, badly. I just have this feeling.

1 - This Astros team was 15 games under .500 and 18 games out of first. Now they are in the NLCS
      2 - Chris Carpenter has not been himself lately. Does anyone really believe that he had a hard time getting up for games after the Cards clinched? He was in the hunt (if not frontrunner) for the Cy Young.
      3 - Playing in Minute Maid.
      4 - Morris pitching in Minute Maid
      6 - Edmonds has not been himself all year
      7 - Karma(?) Odds (?) How many times can the Ass-tros get that close but never make the series?
      8 - Mulders injury
      9 - Rolens injury (been out all year, I know. But Nunez WAS playing well...not so much anymore)
      10 - Pettites experiance
      11 - Clemens experiance

[/b][/quote]

You are a disgusting human being.

Comment

I am a disgusting human being. There is no denying that.

The last thing I wanted to happen was for 99 to be the first to repond here. I am not in the same category as him. I actually want the Cards to win, and I do believe they have a chance....just a bad feeling.

Comment

KBF

The troops are faltering.

We need you now.
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

The Cardinals are the favorite because they've won the most games in baseball the last 2 years by a large margin. The favorite in this series in particular because they've handled Houston. I know you can psyche yourself out over Pettitte, Oswalt, and Clemens throwing 3 straight no hitters, but I'd rather look at the statistics and the trends that have been established in the head to head matchups over the course of the last 2 years. The Astros are close to the Cardinals, but thats all they are is close, they've been unable to get over the hump and I don't see much that leads me to believe that'll happen over the next week. Watching the way the team has played and they way they conduct business everyday, is enough for me to feel confident...if you didn't pick up that feeling by watching this team everyday, then its not something someone can make you understand now. You've been missing out.
            You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

people keep saying this stuff to me.

I am trying to read less of the board and hear less of the people I know because this is the hardest time of year for me.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

It kills me that people think the Astros might win because they're "due."

Yes, just like the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cubs.gif[/img]

The Cardinals have a vastly superior defense and offense. We have a superior bench and manager.

This comes down to pitching. And the people who pick the Astros do so because, first of all, they think Roger Clemens is still 25 years old, and not the guy who got gassed at the end of last season, and who just pitched three innings of relief. He's great, but vulnerable.

They also discount the effectiveness of Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder. What exactly did they do in the first round that scares everyone -- give up hits? Don't good pitchers work around them? Isn't that what Clemens has done most of his career?

I guess I'll go along with the conventional wisdom that Houston's bullpen is superior. But that's only because Lidge has owned us, and Izzy has struggled against the Astros. If you want to cower in fear over the prospect of Russ Springer entering a game, go ahead.

I've said it before: The Cardinals won 100 games this year and swept the first round of the playoffs. They have shown the ability to rise to every occasion presented to them.

They haven't earned the doubts.
                "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

I was worried about the Padre series too.

Yes, the Astros are better than the Padres. But this Cardinal team has fire in their eyes and frankly I think they are less worried than we are.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

QUOTE(Hollywood @ Oct 12 2005, 08:35 AM) Quoted post
                    [/b][/quote]

Oh my god, he hasn't hit a HR in the last 4 games. Plus, he certainly didn't hit over .500 against San Diego, despite being pitched around the entire series.

Comment

QUOTE(Hollywood @ Oct 12 2005, 06:35 AM) Quoted post

1 - This Astros team was 15 games under .500 and 18 games out of first. Now they are in the NLCS (exactly, how unprofessional is that lapse. Cupcakes)
                      2 - Chris Carpenter has not been himself lately. Does anyone really believe that he had a hard time getting up for games after the Cards clinched? He was in the hunt (if not frontrunner) for the Cy Young.(yes, it's called team mentality)
                      3 - Playing in Minute Maid. (No succes there...)
                      4 - Morris pitching in Minute Maid (well darn it, that just sucks)
                      5 - Pujols does not seem to be himself (when was the last time he went yard?) (can't help but laugh)
                      6 - Edmonds has not been himself all year (more funnies, can you by chance say 100 wins)
                      7 - Karma(?) Odds (?) How many times can the Ass-tros get that close but never make the series? (Yeah, thats a significant factor, going with the almighty "their due" You realize that each season the odds begin anew, they are not compounded)
                      8 - Mulders injury (a bruise? what about Pettitte's illness?)
                      9 - Rolens injury (been out all year, I know. But Nunez WAS playing well...not so much anymore) (Examples please, not that you haven't proven your sound judgement)
                      10 - Pettites experiance (Can you say Morris, Edmonds, Pujols, Walker, Sandrs, Eckstein, Mulder, Izzy)
                      11 - Clemens experience(Can you say Morris, Edmonds, Pujols, Walker, Sandrs, Eckstein, Mulder, Izzy)

[/b][/quote]

Your fears are grounded in reality, good job
                      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 12 2005, 08:44 AM) Quoted post

The Cardinals are the favorite because they've won the most games in baseball the last 2 years by a large margin. The favorite in this series in particular because they've handled Houston. I know you can psyche yourself out over Pettitte, Oswalt, and Clemens throwing 3 straight no hitters, but I'd rather look at the statistics and the trends that have been established in the head to head matchups over the course of the last 2 years. The Astros are close to the Cardinals, but thats all they are is close, they've been unable to get over the hump and I don't see much that leads me to believe that'll happen over the next week. Watching the way the team has played and they way they conduct business everyday, is enough for me to feel confident...if you didn't pick up that feeling by watching this team everyday, then its not something someone can make you understand now. You've been missing out.
                        [/b][/quote]

6 weeks ago if you would have asked me, I would have said the Cards would sweep anyone in any series.

I understand why they are the favorite. The numbers say they should be when it comes to numbers of wins. I'm just curious, do you think the Astros would have had more wins if they had Pettite last year and all of this year? Could they have rivaled the Cards in wins if they did?

Let me stress again, I am not saying that Houston is going to win. I just have a bad feeling.

Comment

Well, sure KBF, there's THAT.

Comment

QUOTE(DLove @ Oct 12 2005, 07:46 AM) Quoted post

I was worried about the Padre series too.

Yes, the Astros are better than the Padres. But this Cardinal team has fire in their eyes and frankly I think they are less worried than we are.
                            [/b][/quote]

Precisely.

They will do what it takes to win. They have been doing it all year long.
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

here are the reasons why the Cardinals SHOULD be the favorite:
                              - Albert Pujols, Jim "Astros Killer" Edmonds, & Reggie Freaking Sanders
                              - Home field Advantage
                              - maybe the best 4 deep rotation in the playoffs

here are the reasons why the Astros SHOULD NOT be overlooked:
                              - Biggio, Berkman, & Ensberg are all swinging a hot stick
                              - we're playing our best ball at the right time of the year
                              - without a doubt the best 3 deep rotaion in the playoffs

is it game time yet??
                              life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
                              \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
                              Dr. Pepper
                              all things Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                              X