X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq: From bad to worse

Sources: Al-Sadr supporters take over Najaf
    Wanted Iraqi cleric said to be at holy shrine

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Supporters of maverick Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr controlled government, religious and security buildings in the holy city of Najaf early Tuesday evening, according to a coalition source in southern Iraq.

The source said al-Sadr's followers controlled the governor's office, police stations and the Imam Ali mosque, one of Shia Muslim's holiest shrines.

Iraqi police were negotiating to regain their stations, the source said.

The source also said al-Sadr was busing followers into Najaf from Sadr City in Baghdad and that many members of his outlawed militia, Mehdi's Army, were from surrounding provinces.

Business people are closing their shops and either leaving the city or hoarding their wares in their homes, the source said.

Earlier Tuesday, fighting erupted on the northern side of Fallujah when a routine patrol came under fire. The Marines sent an Abrams tank and several Humvees to reinforce the patrol, along with helicopters.

One Marine was seriously wounded and evacuated to a combat hospital.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

What next, Wolfie?
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Gosh, guys. W sure has fucked this up good! What do you think we should do now?

Just go ahead and list your ideas below:

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Apr 6 2004, 10:19 AM
        Gosh, guys. W sure has fucked this up good! What do you think we should do now?

Just go ahead and list your ideas below:

You tell me - you favored going in.
        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Did the Bushies not realize that this stuff would happen, or did they know it would happen but just didn't care?
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Sorry, I was dead wrong. I fucked up. I need you guys to bail me out.

Comment

Yeah, I don't believe for a second democrats don't love hearing bad news from Iraq. :rolleyes:
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Apr 6 2004, 10:21 AM
                Yeah, I don't believe for a second democrats don't love hearing bad news from Iraq. :rolleyes:
                Not a democrat.

Trying to figure out how we are getting out of there ever.

Is that all you have?
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

They didn't care. Once you've killed a bunch of towelheads, the fun's all over.

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Apr 6 2004, 10:20 AM
                    Sorry, I was dead wrong. I fucked up. I need you guys to bail me out.

1. UN, quick. France, Germany, SOS.

2. More troops?

3. Less Chalabi.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Apr 6 2004, 10:21 AM
                      No dumbass - we HATE it, and we hate our moronic administration for getting our soldiers killed in this mess. That's why we want to throw them out of office.

It's your side that is showing contempt for the military.
                      2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Well, I a m not sure with what accuracy you can predict, other than you expect it.

I beleive they have said all along, that the closer to the turnover, the worse it would get. No?
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Apr 6 2004, 10:23 AM-->
                          QUOTE (dvyyyyyy @ Apr 6 2004, 10:23 AM)

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 6 2004, 10:24 AM
                          Well, I a m not sure with what accuracy you can predict, other than you expect it.

I beleive they have said all along, that the closer to the turnover, the worse it would get. No?
                          I'm familiar with the "greeted as liberators" concept.
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

More troops, for one. Rummy pissed on the Army's pre-war assertion that there weren't enough troops committed. The soldiers knew better.

But Reg, isn't it legitimate, at this stage, to ask the question, WTF are we doing there?

The premise was shaky, if not outright dishonest...so, we're bearing the financial and human burdens with one significant partner.

The military operation was superb, as always.

The aftermath has been a clusterfumble - ever shifting plans, poorly executed.

It's called the Bush Doctrine. The buck stops with him to make it work, no matter how much you wish to deflect responsibility.

Moe
                            The Dude abides.

Comment

• Working...
                              X