Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of you guys need to study the history of

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some of you guys need to study the history of

    When I see artists like the Isley Brothers, Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Wilson Pickett and the like given very little respect, I start to wonder how many how many of you guys really have a knowledge of the history of music.

    Some of you may consider this "playing a race card", but, I consider it being truthful.

    Most of what you listen to today was influenced by black musicians. Guys like Waters, Chuck Berry, and the Isleys have had their styles copied by many white artists.

    I'll grant you that I like AC/DC. But, to say that one great album was better than the Supremes "entire catalog" is a bunch of BS.
    Make America Great For Once.

  • #2
    I think anyone who likes AC/DC under any circumstances is suspect.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Apr 6 2004, 10:15 AM
      I think anyone who likes AC/DC under any circumstances is suspect.
      Can I add Queen to that list too?

      Comment


      • #4
        I think if the poll was about who was more influential, instead of who do you like better, the results would be different.
        2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, you can toss in Queen. Can't think of a single Queen song that survives "scan" when it comes on.

          But then, I never listen to the radio in STL anyway.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 6 2004, 10:14 AM
            When I see artists like the Isley Brothers, Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Wilson Pickett and the like given very little respect, I start to wonder how many how many of you guys really have a knowledge of the history of music.

            Some of you may consider this "playing a race card", but, I consider it being truthful.

            Most of what you listen to today was influenced by black musicians. Guys like Waters, Chuck Berry, and the Isleys have had their styles copied by many white artists.

            I'll grant you that I like AC/DC. But, to say that one great album was better than the Supremes "entire catalog" is a bunch of BS.
            I don't even know what race of most of those people are.

            I don't care what their "influence" was.

            Is this about "most influential" or "who do you like to listen to more" ?

            I think you need to start a contest about "most influential" - otherwise, Curtis Mayfield loses to pretty much anyone.

            It's like I said - in video games, do you favor Pong or Madden 2004?

            There would be no Madden 2004 without Pong, but that doesn't mean you sit around playing Pong.
            Dude. Can. Fly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone who voted against Rod Stewart has an acceptable level of musical knowledge.
              I'm always right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 6 2004, 11:19 AM
                Anyone who voted against Rod Stewart has an acceptable level of musical knowledge.
                You've unknowingly endorsed my musical knowledge.
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Never been a millionaire

                  And I tell you, Scooter, I don't care

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 6 2004, 10:14 AM
                    When I see artists like the Isley Brothers, Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Wilson Pickett and the like given very little respect, I start to wonder how many how many of you guys really have a knowledge of the history of music.

                    Some of you may consider this "playing a race card", but, I consider it being truthful.

                    Most of what you listen to today was influenced by black musicians. Guys like Waters, Chuck Berry, and the Isleys have had their styles copied by many white artists.

                    I'll grant you that I like AC/DC. But, to say that one great album was better than the Supremes "entire catalog" is a bunch of BS.
                    If you want to talk about history let's go back even more. How about putting Son House, Robert Johnson, Bukka White and Skip James in the tournament? That'll teach the musical heathens!

                    This shit's all subjective.
                    I let my hair air dry thereby getting more hair pie
                    I want to fire blanks in Tyra Banks
                    I like shorn quim lasses in horn-rimmed glasses
                    but Cindy Crawford ...offered
                    I would keep a tidy room for Heidi Klum
                    I'm immersed in Kirstie Alley's thirsty valley

                    I want a smelly slice of Kelly Price
                    Plus get with the hairy scar of Teri Garr
                    I would jizz early inside Liz Hurley
                    Sigourney Weaver has a thrashing horny beaver
                    Winona Ryder? Going inside her!
                    I want to get on the whole width of Anna Nicole Smith

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The most influential music was made by Caucasian males from the early 11th century to present. It's called classical music, and it is the basis for all things you hear now...

                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

                      * Payment processing. It will be official soon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 6 2004, 10:19 AM
                        Anyone who voted against Rod Stewart has an acceptable level of musical knowledge.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by steveInebriated@Apr 6 2004, 10:21 AM
                          The most influential music was made by Caucasian males from the early 11th century to present. It's called classical music, and it is the basis for all things you hear now...
                          Must influential musician of all time: Pythagoras, 600 B.C.

                          That dude rocked.

                          http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/pyth.htm
                          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Apr 6 2004, 10:28 AM-->
                            QUOTE (Trigfunctions @ Apr 6 2004, 10:28 AM)

                          • #15
                            he can fingerpaint, and makes a mean theorem
                            Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

                            Comment

                            • Working...
                              X