Should Roberto Clemente's number be retired in all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Roberto Clemente's number be retired in all

Thanks to the start of Hispanic Heritage Month, they did a piece on the push to get his number retired throughout MLB, linking him, as Cepeda said, as their Jackie Robinson....

thoughts?
    yes||
    0%

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

No.

Comment

No
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

no, and ghey

Comment

No. Clemente's impact on the game was not nearly as dramatic as Robinson's.
          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I voted no...

Comment

As good a man/player as Clemente was, he is not what I would consider a baseball trailblazer.
              Official Lounge Sponsor:
              The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

No way, Jose.

(heh)

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Good enough to get retired by the Bucks but not by the entire league.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

nope
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I don't have a problem with it - but then I don't care about such things.

There are far more players from the tropics then Black Americans now - and in 50 years hispanics will be the majority in this country.
                      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I'd like to hear from someone that has voted (or will be voting) yes...

Comment

I voted "no" also...

He was one of the more dominating players of the 60's, and definitely Hall of Fame worthy...and I think it was appropriate to waive the waiting period after his untimely death...

I just don't believe he should be on such a pedestal that his number be retired MLB-wide...

I agree with 210...I'd be curious to hear why two persons voted "yes"...not sayinf they're wrong...just curious to hear the reason...hell, the right argument might change my mind...

I just wonder if he had tragically perished in the plane crash, if this would even be an issue...
                          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I voted yes - and thought I gave my reasons.

While I don't think Clemente went through the same hardships faced by Robinson - he did catch some.

I'm just not hung up on whose number gets retired or doesn't.
                            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 11 2005, 08:02 PM) Quoted post

While I don't think Clemente went through the same hardships faced by Robinson - he did catch some.

[/b][/quote]

I don't think Clemente went through any tougher time than any other Latin American player during his time...

Comment

Working...
                              X