Bill Simmons needs to STFU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons needs to STFU

look...i used to think he's funny....but i'm just sick of the way he claims to be a die hard baseball fan, and totally glosses over the national league.

He picks Houston in 6.

Fuck him, Cardinals sweep.
    Are you on the list?

Never liked Bill Simmons. He talked a lot shit before Super Bowl 36 and last year's World Series.

Comment

He was on "Jimmie Kimmel" last night. I watched until they showed his book with the Red Sox cap on it.
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I used to never miss one of his columns until he started trashing the Rams after the Pats beat them in the SB. His schtick is old now and I'm tired of hearing about Boston every other minute.

Only we can trash the Rams, not some out of town hack columnist. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 11 2005, 02:39 PM) Quoted post

I used to never miss one of his columns until he started trashing the Rams after the Pats beat them in the SB. His schtick is old now and I'm tired of hearing about Boston every other minute.

Only we can trash the Rams, not some out of town hack columnist. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
          [/b][/quote]

Yeah, but you have to admit, comparing the Mike Martz post touchdown gyrations to a fat guy who got hot at a craps table is pretty dead on.

Still....watch a national league game, or provide some analysis if you are going to say some bullshit about Houston winning in 6.

but again, last week he said that Boston would sweep the series again, so what does he know.
          Are you on the list?

Comment

http://slate.msn.com/id/2127567/?nav=fo

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I still like him....fuck off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 11 2005, 02:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                Yeah, yeah. That's because you are a Niners fan. Anything bad being said about the Rams is good enough for you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Oct 11 2005, 03:05 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 11 2005, 02:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  Yeah, yeah. That's because you are a Niners fan. Anything bad being said about the Rams is good enough for you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Yep, that's exactly it...I really love how some people take so personally what a writer says in another city aboot a team they follow....

to each their own.....oversensitive pussies [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It's been pretty entertaining to read Simmons ripping on Renteria all year.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(kah @ Oct 11 2005, 03:10 PM) Quoted post

It's been pretty entertaining to read Simmons ripping on Renteria all year.
                      [/b][/quote]
                      Yeah, he's still an asshole though.
                      Are you on the list?

Comment

If you're reading Simmons for his sports acumen, then yeah, you're not going to like him all that much. There's a reason he's on Page 2, and not the ESPN front page. He writes from the perspective of a fan sitting at home watching a game and making observations, pretty much what we do here. It's not surprising that a lot of his collumns, especially the criticisms, sound almost exactly like something you'd read at The Lounge.

Unfortunately, working for ESPN meant that he did curtail his style a lot. He's not a llowed to comment on any of the networks and their production, which is a huge aspect of sports these days. When he was running on his own, he would be all over the broadcast teams for the LCS's. If he comments now, it has to be in a refrained, professional manner. He used to write pages and pages on Rating the Wimbledon Babes, no holds barred, the type of stuff that most fans talk about when they're with their buddies. His stuff was a million times better back then, and I wish he had never decided to make the leap to ESPN.

He is not, and never should be considered, an expert game analyst. With the exception of the NBA, which he does know very well and still maintains several contacts, he has no more insight into football and baseball than most of us. In fact, I'd suggest that there are many here who know more about those games than him, and he'd probably admit that. What he does have is an ability to put the typical fanspeak into words in an entertaining way, which is exactly what his job is. If you want real insight into the baseball or football, read Buster Olney or Scouts, Inc. If you want to read something entertaining, stick with the Sports Guy.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor:
                        Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                        The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                        Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

FYI...Devaskar's email to Simmons made his Cowbell column today...
                          Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

QUOTE(Lippa @ Oct 11 2005, 03:23 PM) Quoted post

If you're reading Simmons for his sports acumen, then yeah, you're not going to like him all that much. There's a reason he's on Page 2, and not the ESPN front page. He writes from the perspective of a fan sitting at home watching a game and making observations, pretty much what we do here. It's not surprising that a lot of his collumns, especially the criticisms, sound almost exactly like something you'd read at The Lounge.

Unfortunately, working for ESPN meant that he did curtail his style a lot. He's not a llowed to comment on any of the networks and their production, which is a huge aspect of sports these days. When he was running on his own, he would be all over the broadcast teams for the LCS's. If he comments now, it has to be in a refrained, professional manner. He used to write pages and pages on Rating the Wimbledon Babes, no holds barred, the type of stuff that most fans talk about when they're with their buddies. His stuff was a million times better back then, and I wish he had never decided to make the leap to ESPN.

He is not, and never should be considered, an expert game analyst. With the exception of the NBA, which he does know very well and still maintains several contacts, he has no more insight into football and baseball than most of us. In fact, I'd suggest that there are many here who know more about those games than him, and he'd probably admit that. What he does have is an ability to put the typical fanspeak into words in an entertaining way, which is exactly what his job is. If you want real insight into the baseball or football, read Buster Olney or Scouts, Inc. If you want to read something entertaining, stick with the Sports Guy.
                            [/b][/quote]

Spot on.

When he had his own website, I was a subscriber to his rants and e-mail links. He was able to say what he wanted. They've put a muzzle on him now. Another thing that ESPN has ruined.
                            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(TarHeelBlues @ Oct 11 2005, 03:25 PM) Quoted post

FYI...Devaskar's email to Simmons made his Cowbell column today...
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Funny stuff.....

Comment

Working...
                              X