X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O's fire Beattie; To keep Perlozzo and promote Flanagan

O's promote Flanagan, reportedly to keep Perlozzo
    ESPN.com news services

The Orioles didn't completely overhaul their front office after Jim Beattie's departure, which apparently is good news for interim manager Sam Perlozzo.

Mike Flanagan, the team's vice president, will assume Jim Beattie's title as executive vice president of baseball operations, the team announced Tuesday.

Beattie, who told people Monday at a charity golf outing in the Baltimore area that he would not be back, has been offered a job as a consultant but has not told the team whether he would accept, according to The Baltimore Sun.

Flanagan's promotion likely means that Perlozzo will get a chance to manage the team in 2006.

Several sources told The Sun that Perlozzo's rehiring is now a formality and should be completed soon. Orioles owner Peter Angelos told the newspaper that no decision on the manager's job has been finalized, but said no other candidates have been interviewed.

"Sam has done a good job for this organization for a long time," Angelos told the newspaper. "He is a solid baseball man. He has a great personality and is a very committed baseball professional."

The Orioles will now seek a top assistant to Flanagan, the Sun reported. Jim Duquette, the Mets' senior vice president of baseball operations, and Tim Wilken, the Devil Rays' special assistant to the general manager have reportedly been tabbed as candidates.

Beattie and Flanagan were hired as a tandem on Dec. 4, 2002, to replace Syd Thrift. Beattie was appointed executive vice president of baseball operations, and Flanagan received the title of vice president of baseball operations.

Their job, akin to that of a general manager, included finding talent, stocking the farm system and hiring the manager and coaches.

Their best acquisition was signing shortstop Miguel Tejada to a six-year contract in December 2003. But the duo also hired Mazzilli, who was dismissed last August after the Orioles lost 16 of 18 in the middle of second season, and acquired Sammy Sosa, who hit only .221 with 14 homers and 45 RBI.

Beattie and Flanagan failed to secure a solid starting pitcher before the 2005 season, a shortcoming that went uncorrected through the July 31 non-waiver deadline. They were also responsible for giving Sidney Ponson a three-year, $22.5 million contract in January 2004.

Ponson went 11-15 in 2004 and was 7-11 with a 6.21 ERA this season before the Orioles terminated his contract in September after he was charged with drunk driving for the second time this year.

Beattie pitched in the majors for nine years and served as vice president and general manager of the Montreal Expos from 1995 through 2001. Before that, he was the Seattle Mariners' director of player development.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

How bout the Orioles trade us Kline and also pick up most of his salary??
    In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 11 2005, 11:34 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
      Fine with me. The guy was a true blue collar midwest kind of guy. Fit in great here.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

[/b][/quote]
        Or get a left-hander from somewhere else?

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 11 2005, 12:30 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
          [/b][/quote]
          Billy Wagner!!!!!

Seriously though, what lefties are on the FA market?
          In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Oct 11 2005, 12:33 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 11 2005, 12:30 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            [/b][/quote]
            Billy Wagner!!!!!

Seriously though, what lefties are on the FA market?
            [/b][/quote]
            Lemme put it this way: I'd rather have Ken Dayley come out of retirement than have Steve Kline come back

Comment

Watching Klinie this year was painful. The mileage he's piled up on that arm has taken a toll.
              I like cheese.

Comment

QUOTE(triggercut1 @ Oct 11 2005, 01:14 PM) Quoted post

Watching Klinie this year was painful. The mileage he's piled up on that arm has taken a toll.
                [/b][/quote]

Yep.

The dude's done.
                RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X