• Show
Clear All

• Martz should do his health a favor

Bernie Miklasz

Martz should do his health a favor and resign now
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/10/2005

Mike Martz was hooked to an IV for a while when he appeared at Rams Park on Monday. The Rams head coach was about to head back into the hospital for another stay, still reeling from an allergic reaction to the first treatment of antibiotics.

Even now, as doctors try to find the solution to a severe bacterial infection that affects Martz's heart valve, Martz informed team president John Shaw that he aimed to be back on the job in two weeks.

Here's another suggestion for Martz, and I offer this out of sincere concern for a guy I am fond of as a person:

Please walk away, Mike.

There's no use in continuing in a job that has become stressful, brutal, thankless, and dangerous to your physical health and peace of mind.

It's time for Martz to resign as the Rams head coach.

And this has nothing to do with Martz's record or coaching. This has everything to do with Martz's need to get well, rejuvenate, replenish. He has to make a break and start fresh next season - but in a different capacity, and probably a different town.

Why?

Let's review:

*If this job doesn't kill Martz, it probably will jeopardize his health. Martz is completely stressed out. He's insecure and paranoid. He frets over football, front-office politics, his reputation, his real and perceived enemies. Day by day, the pressure is consuming Martz. And while stress didn't cause this illness, stress can impede Martz's recovery.

*The atmosphere is poisonous in St. Louis. The loudest fans despise Martz, and their criticism is hateful and personal. All coaches catch heat from fans, sure. But in my quarter century of covering professional sports, I have never seen a head coach or manager subjected to such vicious and vitriolic personal attacks as Martz is in St. Louis.

Martz's approval rating isn't going rise anytime soon. The Rams are a mess. And as they continue to slide, this cruel abuse of the head coach will only intensify. And despite what Martz says publicly, this venom wounds him inside. A man trying to recuperate from a serious illness should remove himself from the nonstop barrage.

*Until Shaw recently intervened and ordered the other team's executives to back off, Martz was being ganged up on by people who are being paid to help the coach be successful. Martz never will be able to marshal the kind of unanimous and passionate support he'll need to turn this team around. The dissension will continue in one form or another. The dysfunction can only be detrimental to Martz.

*Before the season, Shaw declined Martz's request for a contract extension. Shaw wanted to wait and see how this season went. Well, this season is unraveling. And I have little doubt that Martz is headed for a postseason ultimatum from Shaw. The issue: defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, Martz's friend. Unless the defense improves dramatically, Rams management will probably insist that Martz fire Marmie, and Martz won't be willing to do that.

*And suppose Shaw decides it's time to bust up this nucleus and start from scratch in a painful reconstruction process? Is Martz willing or able to do that?

But let's return to the main concern. Because more than anything, this should be about a caring father and husband doing everything possible to restore his health.

Martz - until now, anyway - hasn't been a model patient. He had complicated back surgery after last season and resumed his full work routine against the doctors' advice.

Like many NFL coaches, Martz can't help himself. He won't ease away from the daily grind. He won't stop putting in the crazy hours that have caused other NFL coaches - remember Dick Vermeil in Philadelphia? - to crack.

What Martz needs is a long, relaxing, therapeutic rest at an oceanfront property, or at a lakeside cabin, or while riding horseback in some wide-open spaces. That's the remedy, in part.

What Martz doesn't need is to inflict more internal damage and sap more of his strength by agonizing over football games in a town where he's treated so shabbily.

There will be OTHER teams to coach in the future, when Martz is refreshed and reloaded.

But this particular team and situation can only be hazardous to Martz's health.[/b][/quote]
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

I don't understand why Bernie decided it would be a good idea to wait until Martz got heart problem to let St.Louis know some of the things written in the article, for example, has anyone ever heard any mention of this before reading this article?:

Before the season, Shaw declined Martz's request for a contract extension. Shaw wanted to wait and see how this season went. Well, this season is unraveling. And I have little doubt that Martz is headed for a postseason ultimatum from Shaw. The issue: defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, Martz's friend. Unless the defense improves dramatically, Rams management will probably insist that Martz fire Marmie, and Martz won't be willing to do that.[/b][/quote]

Didn't Bernie say on his forum, just a couple of weeks ago that the Rams are thinking about extending Martz?

Or how about this?:

Until Shaw recently intervened and ordered the other team's executives to back off, Martz was being ganged up on by people who are being paid to help the coach be successful. Martz never will be able to marshal the kind of unanimous and passionate support he'll need to turn this team around. The dissension will continue in one form or another. The dysfunction can only be detrimental to Martz.[/b][/quote]

Bernie needs to quit sucking the PR cock and do some real sports reporting.

All the sudden Martz gets sick, then Bernie starts throwing his trump cards when he won't have to face the consequences...man you gotta love the punk ass St.Louis media.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 11 2005, 07:50 AM) Quoted post

I don't understand why Bernie decided it would be a good idea to wait until Martz got heart problem to let St.Louis know some of the things written in the article, for example, has anyone ever heard any mention of this before reading this article?:

Before the season, Shaw declined Martz's request for a contract extension. Shaw wanted to wait and see how this season went. Well, this season is unraveling. And I have little doubt that Martz is headed for a postseason ultimatum from Shaw. The issue: defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, Martz's friend. Unless the defense improves dramatically, Rams management will probably insist that Martz fire Marmie, and Martz won't be willing to do that.[/b][/quote]

Didn't Bernie say on his forum, just a couple of weeks ago that the Rams are thinking about extending Martz?

Or how about this?:

Until Shaw recently intervened and ordered the other team's executives to back off, Martz was being ganged up on by people who are being paid to help the coach be successful. Martz never will be able to marshal the kind of unanimous and passionate support he'll need to turn this team around. The dissension will continue in one form or another. The dysfunction can only be detrimental to Martz.[/b][/quote]

Bernie needs to quit sucking the PR cock and do some real sports reporting.

All the sudden Martz gets sick, then Bernie starts throwing his trump cards when he won't have to face the consequences...man you gotta love the punk ass St.Louis media.
      [/b][/quote]
      I believe Bernie had previously reported the impending conundrum of Martz having to fire Marmie

And that there was a gang-up taking place in the office.
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Seconded. Bernie, as much as I loathe his rolling cellulite frame, reported each of those items previously. Nothing new about that, Nate.

Moon

Comment

a guy with a bad back should go horseback riding?

ooooooo kay
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Miklasz is smart. Now he wants to make STL feel guilty for criticizing him on a regular basis. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

"It's the big one Elizabeth!"

Moon

Comment

All three columnists today said he should step down.

Bernie's worst take:

The atmosphere is poisonous in St. Louis. The loudest fans despise Martz, and their criticism is hateful and personal. All coaches catch heat from fans, sure. But in my quarter century of covering professional sports, I have never seen a head coach or manager subjected to such vicious and vitriolic personal attacks as Martz is in St. Louis.[/b][/quote]

Um, Bernie, the guy's an idiot when it comes to coaching. Don't give me the, "He just wins" bullshit. In the last 21 regular season games he's 10-11.

Comment

We few, we mighty few Irrational Martz Haters are to blame.

Bernie sucks.
                  His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                  Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 11 2005, 09:10 AM) Quoted post

"It's the big one Elizabeth!"

Moon
                    [/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

That's funny.

But I hope Mike will be OK.

And coaching somewhere else next year.
                    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Oct 11 2005, 09:55 AM) Quoted post

Bernie sucks.
                      [/b][/quote]

Henry V?

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 11 2005, 08:58 AM) Quoted post

Bernie sucks.
                        [/b][/quote]

Henry V?
                        [/b][/quote]

Well spotted.

Once more into the breach, dear friends...
                        His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                        Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Oct 11 2005, 08:20 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 11 2005, 08:58 AM) Quoted post

Bernie sucks.
                          [/b][/quote]

Henry V?
                          [/b][/quote]

Well spotted.

Once more into the breach, dear friends...
                          [/b][/quote]

Funny, that was my rallying cry for the Cardinals last psot season...

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, Or close the wall up with our English dead! In peace there's nothing so becomes a man As modest stillness and humility; But when the blast of war blows in our ears, Then imitate the action of the tiger: Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(pgrote @ Oct 11 2005, 08:13 AM) Quoted post

All three columnists today said he should step down.

Bernie's worst take:

The atmosphere is poisonous in St. Louis. The loudest fans despise Martz, and their criticism is hateful and personal. All coaches catch heat from fans, sure. But in my quarter century of covering professional sports, I have never seen a head coach or manager subjected to such vicious and vitriolic personal attacks as Martz is in St. Louis.[/b][/quote]

Um, Bernie, the guy's an idiot when it comes to coaching. Don't give me the, "He just wins" bullshit. In the last 21 regular season games he's 10-11.
                            [/b][/quote]
                            So at his absolute worst he's one game under .500. What a fucking loser!

Comment

Yeah, I think I put the St. Crispin's Day speech into all the GDTs last postseason. Might have to bring that back...

Comment

Working...
                              X