• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCS umps announced

League Championship Series umpires announced
    10/10/2005 4:16 PM ET
    MLB.com

Major League Baseball has assigned the two umpiring crews that will work the American and National League Championship Series.

Jerry Crawford, a member of the Major League staff since 1977, has been selected as the crew chief and will work behind the plate for Game One of the ALCS on Tuesday at Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field. The 2005 ALCS will mark Crawford's 20th postseason assignment, including his 11th LCS. Crawford's crew will feature Doug Eddings, Ted Barrett, Ron Kulpa, Ed Rapuano and Randy Marsh.

Crew chief Tim McClelland, who has over 23 years of Major League experience, will call balls and strikes for the first game of Wednesday's NLCS. This is McClelland's 13th postseason assignment and his sixth LCS. His crew will include Greg Gibson, Wally Bell, Phil Cuzzi, Larry Poncino and Gerry Davis.

Umpires for the 101st World Series will be announced when assignments have been determined.

2005 League Championship Series umpire assignments

American League Championship Series between either the New York Yankees or the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Chicago White Sox:

Game One Umpire Previous LCS Worked
    HP Jerry Crawford 10 (1980, '83, '85, '90, '93, '95, '96, '99, '01, '03)
    1B Doug Eddings (First LCS)
    2B Ted Barrett (First LCS)
    3B Ron Kulpa (First LCS)
    LF Ed Rapuano 4 (1999, '00, '02, '04)
    RF Randy Marsh 6 (1989, '92, '95, '00, '02, '04)

National League Championship Series between the winners of the Houston-Atlanta and San Diego-St. Louis NL Division Series:

Game One Umpire Previous LCS Worked
    HP Tim McClelland 5 (1988, '95, '99, '01, '03)
    1B Greg Gibson (First LCS)
    2B Wally Bell 2 (2000, '01)
    3B Phil Cuzzi (First LCS)
    LF Larry Poncino 2 (1998, '03)
    RF Gerry Davis 6 (1990, '92, '95, '98, '00, '01)

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Well, we miss Crawford, so that's a victory.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 10 2005, 03:46 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

And Angel.

Comment

Praise Barry, no Angel Hernandez

Where's Eric Gregg?
        Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
        "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 10 2005, 03:46 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Angel was part of the NLDS Crew working the Cards/Padres.

I'm just glad they didn't decide to royally fuck around with us and put Crawford on one crew and Bucknor on the other.

Comment

Look for a postage stamp strike zone in Game One. McClelland has the 2nd highest % of pitches called "balls" among umps that worked at least 5 games behind the plate.

Not surprisingly, he also has the 2nd lowest strikeout/walk ratio among the same group of umps. He's more middle-of-the-pack in terms of runs scored in his games, so it looks like either he may not be afraid to ring a guy up on a borderline pitch, or (more likely) that his strike zone gets more generous to the pitcher with runners on base.

Comment

Except for two or three guys on both of those lists, I don't hardley recognize any of those names. That is a good sign.
                Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(Stan_Papi @ Oct 10 2005, 04:02 PM) Quoted post

Look for a postage stamp strike zone in Game One. McClelland has the 2nd highest % of pitches called "balls" among umps that worked at least 5 games behind the plate.

Not surprisingly, he also has the 2nd lowest strikeout/walk ratio among the same group of umps. He's more middle-of-the-pack in terms of runs scored in his games, so it looks like either he may not be afraid to ring a guy up on a borderline pitch, or (more likely) that his strike zone gets more generous to the pitcher with runners on base.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  IMO, he's one of the best umps in the biz....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 10 2005, 04:27 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                    [/b][/quote]

As long as he's consistent, that's the key. The only thing that bugs me is how slow he is to signal his ball/strike calls. It seems like he has a longer delay than most umps in raising his right arm, and he doesn't give much of a signal - as tall as he is, sometimes it's hard to see his strike call when you're sitting somewhere behind home plate.

I wish the site where they gave the home team W-L record for umps was still working, but it doesn't appear to be updated for this year - if he was a big "homer" I'd be much more of a fan, since he'll also have a potential Game 7.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                      [/b][/quote]

++

He is the best.
                      The Redman

Sponsorship Available
                      Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

QUOTE(Stan_Papi @ Oct 10 2005, 04:52 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                        [/b][/quote]

As long as he's consistent, that's the key. The only thing that bugs me is how slow he is to signal his ball/strike calls. It seems like he has a longer delay than most umps in raising his right arm, and he doesn't give much of a signal - as tall as he is, sometimes it's hard to see his strike call when you're sitting somewhere behind home plate.

I wish the site where they gave the home team W-L record for umps was still working, but it doesn't appear to be updated for this year - if he was a big "homer" I'd be much more of a fan, since he'll also have a potential Game 7.
                        [/b][/quote]
                        According to the site I visit, McClelland is indifferent to home or road teams. 19-16 home team.

Pitchers ERA in his games is 4.17, there are 3.62 BB/9, and he has a 1.55 K/BB ratio.
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Yuck, Wally Bell is going to be behind the plate while the series is at Houston. Home teams are 24-10 (.706) when he's at the dish.
                          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Oct 10 2005, 03:48 PM) Quoted post

Where's Eric Gregg?
                            [/b][/quote]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=white+castle/v=2/SID=w/TID=I057_79/l=IVI/SIG=12krsb7lt/EXP=1129069115/*http%3A//www.princeton.edu/~puband/photos/white-castle-group-98.jpg[/img]

Eric Gregg was here! These kids were the cleanup crew! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Oct 10 2005, 05:20 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Oct 10 2005, 03:48 PM) Quoted post

Where's Eric Gregg?
                              [/b][/quote]

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=white+castle/v=2/SID=w/TID=I057_79/l=IVI/SIG=12krsb7lt/EXP=1129069115/*http%3A//www.princeton.edu/~puband/photos/white-castle-group-98.jpg[/img]

Eric Gregg was here! These kids were the cleanup crew! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
                              [/b][/quote]
                              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X