• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackberry addicts may be facing cold turkey

October 8, 2005
    Court Ruling in BlackBerry Case Puts Service to U.S. Users at Risk

By IAN AUSTEN

OTTAWA, Oct. 7 - A court decision Friday renewed the possibility that service to BlackBerry wireless e-mail devices might be cut off for most users in the United States.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington rejected a request by Research in Motion, the Canadian company that makes the BlackBerry, to rehear its appeal of a patent infringement case brought by NTP Inc., the patent holder. A three-judge panel of the court ruled in August that Research in Motion had violated seven of NTP's patents.

As part of that litigation, NTP, whose only assets are wireless e-mail related patents, had been granted an injunction banning the sale of BlackBerry devices in the United States and forcing Research in Motion to stop providing e-mail services to all American customers except government account holders.

While the court declined Research in Motion's request for a complete rehearing by all 12 of its judges, it did order the panel of three judges to review some aspects of NTP's patent claims.

Kevin Anderson, a lawyer for NTP, said the company would now ask the court to apply the injunction to the patent claims that are no longer under review. Those patents, he added, are broad enough to prevent Research in Motion from continuing service in the United States, which accounts for about 70 percent of its revenue.

"The case is pretty much over," Mr. Anderson said.

Friday afternoon, however, Research in Motion said it would request that the court hold off on any action while it asks the Supreme Court for a review, although it acknowledged that such reviews are "uncommon" in patent cases.

"RIM continues to believe this case raises significant national and international issues warranting further appellate review," the company said.

Shares of Research in Motion hit a 52-week low of $64.55, down $2.42.

With the backing of the Canadian government, Research in Motion has argued in court that NTP's claims do not apply to BlackBerry software because it is held only on computers near its headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario. NTP does not hold any wireless e-mail patents in Canada. It is based in Annandale, Va.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

that's huge.

I wonder how this will play out. Basically, RIM will have to settle and do so VERY quickly...but I can't imagine this NTP settling for anything less than the whole company.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I was thinking about getting one of these.
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

That IS huge.

Especially since all the schmucks at work use them. They won't know what to do with themselves in the elevator.
        Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 10 2005, 01:24 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

might be time to hold off on that...
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 10 2005, 01:25 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

might be time to hold off on that...
            [/b][/quote]

No doubt.

I'm glad I read this article.

Comment

[/b][/quote]
              Isn't Papa John's giving them away when you order one of their alleged pizzas?
              If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Actually, after reading a bit, there's more to this story.

NTP won the case in 2002 and got an injunction on sales of RIM devices and services, pending appeal. It took 3 years to get that appeal, which just happened late last week.

In the meanwhile, RIM got the US Patent office to review the 7 patents NTP applied for, and as of a couple weeks ago the Patent Office has struck down those patents. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9536244/

Much ado about nothing.

The lesson to learn here is that money rules out, so feel free to steal stuff, as long as you can make enough money to buy better lawyers to fight your legal battles.

Comment

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Oct 10 2005, 01:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  [/b][/quote]

Are you serious?

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 10 2005, 01:32 PM) Quoted post

Actually, after reading a bit, there's more to this story.

NTP won the case in 2002 and got an injunction on sales of RIM devices and services, pending appeal. It took 3 years to get that appeal, which just happened late last week.

In the meanwhile, RIM got the US Patent office to review the 7 patents NTP applied for, and as of a couple weeks ago the Patent Office has struck down those patents. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9536244/

Much ado about nothing.

The lesson to learn here is that money rules out, so feel free to steal stuff, as long as you can make enough money to buy better lawyers to fight your legal battles.
                    [/b][/quote]

I'm not sure why it's much ado about nothing BBZ. The US Patent office rulings are noted to only have a partial effect on the court case:

Analysts have said the patent office decisions give RIM more leverage in its negotiations with NTP. But they warned investors against becoming too euphoric, noting the decision has only partial bearing on the case.
                    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 10 2005, 01:32 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                      [/b][/quote]

Are you serious?
                      [/b][/quote]
                      I'm pretty sure I saw a coupon or circular saying something like that...
                      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Damn I almost got one too, just got a new phone and was leaning that way.

If they stole the shit they need to be crushed.
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

didn't Airshark touch on some of this recently?
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Oct 10 2005, 02:07 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

Are you serious?
                            [/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

I still wouldn't buy one of their pizzas.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 10 2005, 12:13 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Oct 10 2005, 02:07 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

Are you serious?
                              [/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

I still wouldn't buy one of their pizzas.
                              [/b][/quote]

Best tasting major chain Pizza

Not that means a whole lot, but...
                              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                              X