Rams-Seahawks Postmortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams-Seahawks Postmortem

First -- I got news for you coach, they're all your losses. Dumb ass. (I hope you feel better though.)

The Good

-OMFG, we got a run back on special teams!!!!! It seems like that hasn't happened since the Super Bowl season. Now, the rest of our returns looked shitty (hey to Shaun MacDonald), but we actually made a freaking play on special teams. Pretty soon, they will be merely competent.

-Stephen Jackson. Its kind of boom-or-bust with this guy. Fifteen yards or one. But that's why he needs to run the ball 25 times a game and catch it between 5-10 times. You've got give him credit for sticking with it and playing hard. Imagine what he could do with better run plays and running in less obvious spots.

-Tory Holt. The stats might not show it, but he's having his best season as a WR yet in my opinion. He doesn't get the PR or hype that T.O. and Moss get, but he's every bit as good at pass catching and he does all the little things better. Every week he embarasses some corner back with his route running. Every week.

-Bulger. OK, he threw his weekly pick, but if you're going to average over 45 pass plays per game your going to throw some picks. Despite my sponsorship, I'll even admit he's not one of the top QBs in the league. But week after week, he hangs in there and makes the offense productive while he's getting the crap beat out of him on overflow blitzes and defenses hang back knowing that he's going to pass. Frankly, I'm amazed he doesn't throw more interceptions.

-Offensive tackles. OK, they still are getting beat occassionally and have some stupid penalties, but at least we're not getting killed consistently off the edge. Barron is the real deal and OP -- despite not playing as well as he should -- is still excellent. Let's hope Icognito and Terrell mature and prove to be the goods too. Next season (with a new coach), we could have a quality run game.

-Tony Hargrove. It seems like he is slowly sort of getting it. I've assumed for a while that he is more of a "raw" talent and its been demonstrated on the field. And so far he hasn't embarassed himself despite this fact. But yesterday, he started making some plays. He got past his blocker a number of times, played pretty well in the run game, and got (I think) a sack. Hopefully he'll continue to get better.

The Bad

-Weird special teams shit. First, Arlen Harris commits a penalty on a kick return. Then, MacDonald is inexplicably returning punts (I assume Fair was hurt) and fumbles it. Time and time again we watch special teams get hammered by a lack of discipline. Is it so hard to stress playing smart? By the way, if guys like Harris and Fair can't contribute on special teams, then don't need to be on the roster.

-Unprepared backups. I don't really blame Corey Ivy, Tyoka Jackson, or Mike Furrey. Yeah, they blew some assignments really bad, but they weren't prepared to play. At least it seems that way because every time we have backups on the field, we look like the Three Stooges on defense. One or two players...that's their fault. All the backups? Coaching.

-Defensive tackles. They weren't really bad, but they weren't good yesterday either. I'll say this -- the line has become the strength (such as it is) of this defense. I don't obsess over it like I used to in any case. The improved play of Pickett and Kennedy is responsible. But, we need more than what we got from them yesterday.

-Linebacking. I didn't hear Claiborne's or Coaxley's name called yesterday. And Chillar's was on the field constantly, probably as our passing-down linebacker. If you ask me, we didn't spend a crapload of money on these guys for them to watch Brandon Chillar play. Would it be out of the question to use them to blitz once in a while? Beyond that, Alexander got too many yards yesterday once he reached the second level. The line did a good job of stuffing him initially, but if they got blocked the LBs never stopped it there. At one point, he was averaging less than two yards a carry; then they started the cut back runs. The LBs have to step up for this to be a halfway decent defense.

The Bad

-Travis Fischer is maddingly inconsistent. He's a pretty good CB in run support and is capable of providing good coverage. However, he gets beat too frequently and doesn't seem capable of playing well in zone situations. Maybe we wouldn't notice if Butler was still playing, but he's not and I do. Honestly, Groce doesn't get his number called as much as TF does -- that's not a good thing.

-Free Safety. Do we seriously not have one guy at this position who can play over the top defense? Arch seems to have played OK from the strong safety spot this year, but other than his moments of brilliance in run defense the safeties are clearly the weakest spot on this team. I never realized how much Aneas Williams' smarts really helped us until now. Hawthorne can really hit, but there is a reason he's never started in the league. The two rookies can't even find the field right now or they'd be playing. Mike Furrey? When you 6th WR is your starting FS, it spells trouble.

-Offensive Play Calling. I don't think Martz is even suited to being an offensive coordinator right now, not unless there is a head coach who insists he run the ball anyway. He doesn't get it. At all. Our defense is mediocre at best -- they probably need to be on the field less, not more. Running the ball would help them rest and let the coaches make more adjustments (for the sake of argument, let's assume the coaches know how to do this). It also would make our offense a lot less predictible. Try this little game -- see how often you can guess whether a play is a run or a pass with the Rams. I think I get the running plays right about 60-percent of the time, usually because the formation looks like a running one compared to what we usually trot out there. If my guessing is that good, imagine what someone can figure out by knowing something about the game of football and by watching the tape. Plus, we run too many goodfy running plays. They take too long to develop. I'd like to see more off-tackle, smash, and simple counters than we run. (Note: Jackson has busted counters for a ton of yards this season). But beyond all this, we must simply run more -- with both Jackson and Faulk.

-Defensive Play Calling. Our d-line has finally become solid again. But they ain't going to create a whole lot of pressure by themselves. The Seahawks had their second and third string receivers in and a running back who puts the ball on the turf a lot. Why not blitz a little bit more and create some turnovers?

-Discipline. We didn't get our usual 200 yards in penalties yesterday, but we continue to lose the turnover battle. We've got to stop asking Bulger to continuously throw into secondaries with two and three extra defenders and we've got to start caring about taking care of the ball. Did you see the look on the player's faces yesterday when we burned our second timeout after halftime? You could see the frustration on their faces.

-Preparation. Note to Coach Martz -- we fucking suck in the first quarter. We are not good enough to only play three (its really two, because we usually suck in the third quarter too) quarters of football. This is completely the coach's fault. Every coach in the NFL other than Martz has a script for the first fifteen or so plays based on their game planning. If every coach is doing it, it seems like it might be a good idea. Not satisifed with that explanaton? Should he jump off a bridge if they did? (Yes.) That logic might work if we didn't get completely outplayed in the first quarter of every game. We'd be better off just spotting the other team 14 points and getting right into the second quarter.

I don't know if I can root for this team to win anymore. I want them to lose so that management will wisen up and fire Martz. And, the sooner, the better.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Somehow I forgot to mention the punter in that diatribe. Shoot him and make him into glue.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Steven Jackson is misused my Martz. IMO, he's a dominate force. But under Martz, he's just an afterthought.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Mike was sick. Mulligan. Back on his game next week. I mean really, you can't expect him to make the same mistakes again.

Moon

Comment

Hodges struggles again

Punter Reggie Hodges struggled through another subpar afternoon, averaging only 33.2 yards on five punts with a net average (subtracting return yardage) of 27.6. But coach Mike Martz wasn't ready to rush to judgment after Sunday's game.

"We'll review that, and just see what happens," Martz said.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

John Lee.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Oct 10 2005, 09:06 AM) Quoted post

Hodges struggles again

Punter Reggie Hodges struggled through another subpar afternoon, averaging only 33.2 yards on five punts with a net average (subtracting return yardage) of 27.6. But coach Mike Martz wasn't ready to rush to judgment after Sunday's game.

"We'll review that, and just see what happens," Martz said.

[/b][/quote]

Shoot, we might not fix that.
              No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
              President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
              President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

I'll be shocked if Hodges isn't let go today.

Also, Fair asked out on that last punt return because he was winded.

Martz wasn't happy about that at all. He said,"We just don't so that here."
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

He said,"We just don't so that here."
                  [/b][/quote]

Au Contraire fat man, it seems to be quite common
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Hodges is toast.

Bring back Sean Landetta.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Hodges struggles again

"We'll review that, and just see what happens," Martz said.[/b][/quote]

Sounds like he's modified the "Shoot, we'll fix that" phrase.

"We'll just see what happens" doesn't pin him down as much as "We'll fix that" does apparently
                      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                      X