iPod info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod info

I have been blessed w/ two of my children's birthdays 9 days apart. They will be 15 and 13. My life is slowly slipping away from me. But I digress. I am thinking of taking the plunge (whining really DOES work) and buying them both iPods. I have no idea what they do or what I have to buy. I'm not wanting top of the line stuff, just enough (to shut them up) that they will listen to their songs and not bitch too much. Will they be able to download the songs they already have on their pcs to the thing? Do they have to go to iTunes to d/l music? Does it cost per song? I'd like to (steal) use one in my car, what do I need for that?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Yes, they can transfer songs already on their computers to the iPod.

Comment

QUOTE(Celtic @ Oct 9 2005, 07:01 PM) Quoted post

I have been blessed w/ two of my children's birthdays 9 days apart. They will be 15 and 13. My life is slowly slipping away from me. But I digress. I am thinking of taking the plunge (whining really DOES work) and buying them both iPods. I have no idea what they do or what I have to buy. I'm not wanting top of the line stuff, just enough (to shut them up) that they will listen to their songs and not bitch too much. Will they be able to download the songs they already have on their pcs to the thing? Do they have to go to iTunes to d/l music? Does it cost per song? I'd like to (steal) use one in my car, what do I need for that?

[/b][/quote]

1) Yes, they can d/l songs on the PC to the iPod...
      2) They don't have to go to iTunes to do it - there are freeware programs out there that manage iPod libraries as well (ephPod is the best, IMO)
      3) iTunes does charge per song - $0.99 per download
      4) To use it in your car, you proabbly will need either a tape adapter or an FM transmitter...if you have a BMW from 2004 or later, I think you can plug in the iPod directly into the head unit...for some other makes, there are companies out there that will do a custom install job for the iPod for you - but it is not cheap (usually a couple hundred bucks)...

I've not had success with the FM transmitter out here in the Bay Area - but in St. Louis where the radio dial is less crowded, it might work better...
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

QUOTE(Blues Fan in SF @ Oct 9 2005, 09:19 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Celtic @ Oct 9 2005, 07:01 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

1) Yes, they can d/l songs on the PC to the iPod...
        2) They don't have to go to iTunes to do it - there are freeware programs out there that manage iPod libraries as well (ephPod is the best, IMO)
        3) iTunes does charge per song - $0.99 per download
        4) To use it in your car, you proabbly will need either a tape adapter or an FM transmitter...if you have a BMW from 2004 or later, I think you can plug in the iPod directly into the head unit...for some other makes, there are companies out there that will do a custom install job for the iPod for you - but it is not cheap (usually a couple hundred bucks)...

I've not had success with the FM transmitter out here in the Bay Area - but in St. Louis where the radio dial is less crowded, it might work better...
        [/b][/quote]

There are several transmitter stations for the St. Louis area including 89.5 and 88.3. You probably won't be thrilled with the sound quality transmitting through local FM though. There are several more expensive options.
        Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Thank you to all that have responded so far.

Some more...

What kind of selection do the iPod sites have as far as music? Should I go to Best Buy to pick them up or is online the best bet?

Comment

the tape adapter for the car is about $20. hell, i plan to get one this wk for mine. i have a 20gb/5000 songs, i wouldn't get one any lower than that since i have music out the wazoo. depends on the price for you since you're gonna grab 2

iTunes has anything and everything as far as music goes and every wk you can get a free DL from bands who haven't made it big yet mostly. but as said before each song is 99 cents. Also, you can get your songs off the PC and your CDs

as for where to buy, shop around. i've seen some places give you 10 free iTunes if you buy an iPod from them and such. too bad your kid's birthdays aren't closer to Xmas.

finally, since they come in different colors, get them each a color they like and a different one to make sure they can tell the ones apart.

Comment

Apple's on line store offers a 10% discount to college students and faculty, which I think is the only way to get a discount on a retail iPod. I work in Circuit City, and the only way to get an iPod for cheaper than the price Apple makes us sell it for is if it's an open-box item.

As far as music goes, you can create an account with iTunes and upload a certain amount of $$$ there and that'll let them download music. Or you can buy an iTunes gift card at Wal Mart.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Erik Johnson

Comment

You don't need to worry about the online itunes store at all. Just let them rip there own CDs and borrow CDs from their friends. I wouldn't want a 15 year old to have the ability to download songs on my credit card. If they have friends, they will have an unlimited supply of music.

I would suggest buying two of the recently discontinued iPod Minis. They are probably available for a discount and they are more durable then the Nano or the full sized iPod. You could also get them 2 different colors to lessen confusion.
                To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

get a mac

/cliche
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

Well, first you'll need a car...
                    Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                    Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                    Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

Wait... kids with iPods become runners... you don't want your kids running marathons, do you Celtic?
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

QUOTE(Celtic @ Oct 9 2005, 09:40 PM) Quoted post

Thank you to all that have responded so far.

Some more...

What kind of selection do the iPod sites have as far as music? Should I go to Best Buy to pick them up or is online the best bet?
                        [/b][/quote]

Get your music here.

-RBB

Comment

Don't bother. The 13-year old will lose it or break it, and the 15-year old will get it stolen from them on the bus or at school. Then you're out a few hundred bucks, and you'll be brought up on child abuse charges for beating some sense into them.

There's a reason they call the iPod color "Mug Me White."

Moon

Comment

Working...
                          X