Notebook Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook Help

I'm looking for a relatively reasonably priced good-performance notebook. I have a relatively new PC that will still be my primary computer. I'm just looking for something I can drag around my house when I'm watching TV or in my room for internet and some online poker. I'm not a MAC guy, so does anyone have any idea what I should look for? Dell, HP, used, etc?

You can sometimes pick up a good, used laptop on eBay that is perfect for what you want to do.

Comment

I just got a new Inspirion for under a grand from Dell off their web site

Not the fastest but its fine for what you're talking about
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

The Dell Outlet, exactly what you want...
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

How does this look for the price? It's $699 after the best coupon and before the $24 handling and tax.

Dell Link

Comment

QUOTE(madyaks @ Oct 8 2005, 11:06 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Where is that?
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Lenovo (formerly IBM) T42/T43

Best laptops around.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I'm in the same boat.

Depending on what info I get using Dell's Employee Purchase Plan, I may be getting a Dell Latitude D610 for $820.

That is, if the latitude is $820 instead of $1700.

Comment

The Dell Outlet, exactly what you want... [/b][/quote]

While those systems look nicely priced, what I'd like to know is how long those computers have been "out in the field". I'm always wary about investing my money in something that isn't new and has the greater potential to breakdown because of increased use.

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Oct 18 2005, 08:03 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Where is that? [/b][/quote]

Here you go Winston.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.as...=dfh&DGVCode=IR

Don't know if FedEx is the preferred shipping method.

Comment

Found this deal from Dell out a little earlier tonight:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=i600MRS&s=dhs

Inspiron 600m
                      Pentium® M Processor 735(1.70 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/32MB Video
                      Genuine Windows® XP Home
                      1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
                      60GB Hard Drive
                      24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
                      Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
                      6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)

I'm seriously thinking of getting this one. The configuration normally lists at $1299, but they're selling it for $899 (plus $30 handling fee). The downside is that you can't upgrade most of the internal components. It's a buy as configured, ship the next day (which is free) deal.

Comment

Just an update: Dell has now offered $500 off instantly on the price for the above laptop.

I just ordered one for $770.

Comment

Sounds like a helluva deal.

How much does that one weigh?
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

QUOTE(WinstonSmith @ Oct 29 2005, 09:12 AM) Quoted post
                            Sounds like a helluva deal.

How much does that one weigh? [/b][/quote]

~5.3 lbs. I believe it's their second lightest notebook.

Comment

QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Oct 27 2005, 07:59 PM) Quoted post

Found this deal from Dell out a little earlier tonight:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...c=i600MRS&s=dhs

Inspiron 600m
                              Pentium® M Processor 735(1.70 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/32MB Video
                              Genuine Windows® XP Home
                              1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
                              60GB Hard Drive
                              24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
                              Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
                              6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)

I'm seriously thinking of getting this one. The configuration normally lists at $1299, but they're selling it for $899 (plus $30 handling fee). The downside is that you can't upgrade most of the internal components. It's a buy as configured, ship the next day (which is free) deal.
                              [/b][/quote]

I'd like to get one of those for myself. How did you get the price down to $770?

Is it worth the extra money to get the extended warranty? My dad had to replace the screen on his Dell 3 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X