• Show
Clear All

• Kirkwood/Des Peres Cauldron of Hate

Four teens are arrested in Kirkwood hate crime
    By Tim O'Neil
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/07/2005

KIRKWOOD

Students at Kirkwood High School provided information to police that helped lead to the arrests of four teenagers in the scrawlings of a racial slur and a swastika at two schools, police said Friday.

Kirkwood Police Chief Jack Plummer said officers picked up the teenagers, one of whom is a juvenile, on Thursday and Friday on suspicion of vandalism and a hate crime, a felony. Plummer said officers sought one more suspect.

The slurs were discovered Aug. 29 near the south entrance of Kirkwood High and at St. Paul's Lutheran School in Des Peres. Officers said the scrawlings, made in permanent marker, were a curse word, a racial slur and a swastika at Kirkwood, and a swastika at St. Paul's. The scrawlings included the phrase "the kings," a reference to a band the suspects like.

Plummer said the five, ages 15, 17 and 18, are friends who live in Kirkwood and Des Peres. He said four of them have dropped out of school, including Kirkwood schools, but he declined to be more specific.

He said police will seek formal charges next week against the four older suspects; the juvenile will be charged under the state juvenile code. Plummer said officers believe the suspects chose Kirkwood and St. Paul's because they were close to their homes.

"The only statement from them is that they were just being stupid," he said. "They said they are very sorry, although that may be because they were caught."

Plummer announced the arrests Friday afternoon outside Kirkwood High. With him was principal David Holley, who said that students "were angry and hurt that this would happen to their school. I believe these arrests will help them feel better."

Plummer said some of the suspects bragged about the vandalism, and students relayed information to police.

About 23 percent of Kirkwood's 1,750 students are black. [/b][/quote]

Moon

How dare they drop out of Kirkwood schools???

Eh, bored, misguided kids. Shouldn't have messed w/ the swastikas though. And they shouldn't have dabbled in the race thing. They should be taught that sometimes just a simple 'Fuck You' will suffice.

Comment

I saw this story on the news last night and was honetly shocked. Maybe I don't get out in Kirkwood often enough, but I've never seen any sort of behavior anywhere around there that would precipitate that sort of thing. That's one of the reasons I wanted to live in Kirkwood and that I really do like living here - the diversity of the neighborhoods.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
      Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
      Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
      Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
      NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
      LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Oct 8 2005, 01:57 PM) Quoted post

I saw this story on the news last night and was honetly shocked. Maybe I don't get out in Kirkwood often enough, but I've never seen any sort of behavior anywhere around there that would precipitate that sort of thing. That's one of the reasons I wanted to live in Kirkwood and that I really do like living here - the diversity of the neighborhoods.
        [/b][/quote]

What, exactly, would you say is diverse about Kirkwood? Or at least, diverse compared to where?

As a former resident and staff member of the school district, I'm not that surprised. Most people in the community are good and fair-minded, but I felt there is a strong undercurrent of racism in both directions, both in the kids and the parents.
        "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
        – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

QUOTE(YYZ @ Oct 8 2005, 02:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

What, exactly, would you say is diverse about Kirkwood? Or at least, diverse compared to where?

As a former resident and staff member of the school district, I'm not that surprised. Most people in the community are good and fair-minded, but I felt there is a strong undercurrent of racism in both directions, both in the kids and the parents.
          [/b][/quote]
          and bored kids who want to be "edgy".
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Oct 8 2005, 02:37 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(YYZ @ Oct 8 2005, 02:31 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
            and bored kids who want to be "edgy".
            [/b][/quote]
            There are bored teenagers who want to be edgy everywhere, lots of them. Very few do stuff like this. Choosing to spray paint a swastika at KHS is meant to antagonize the black students, and it's the only place to do it because they're not stupid enough to try something in Meachem Park.

I agree that the racist label gets is used far too loosely most of the time, but I'd bet money that these kids are white supremacists, even if they're the flaccid, suburban, wannabe variety. I might be able to confim that once their names are released.
            "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
            – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

not saying they are like people I knew back then there, but the attention craving ones I knew and disliked at that time didn't know wtf they were doing or talking about....and it immediately makes me think these ones are dumber than we think.

but who knows. I am old now and I never go there for anything.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Working...
              X