• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackman likely to return next week

Jackman continues recovery

Defenseman likely to return next week

BY NORM SANDERS

News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Blues defenseman Barret Jackman skated again Thursday and is progressing steadily in a bid to return from a shoulder separation.

"Every day it's getting better," said Jackman, injured on a collision during the preseason. "I'm getting some strength back, and now it's just a matter of time."

Blues coach Mike Kitchen doesn't expect Jackman back before next week, although he'd love to play Saturday against San Jose.

"What I think in my head and what my body tells me and what the doctors tell me are three different things," Jackman said. "We'll see."

Jackman said this injury is not related to the surgery he had to repair damage to his left shoulder that cost him all but 15 games in 2003-04.

"They told me I'm going to be 100 percent, and everything to do with the surgery was intact," he said. "It's a relief to know that. Range of motion is completely back, so it's a matter of strengthening it."

The Blues were without star winger Keith Tkachuk on Thursday after Tkachuk suffered a slight groin injury the night before.

Blues defenseman Matt Walker took a shot off his right foot in the season opener and has been placed on injured reserve.

The Blues promoted former Dartmouth College star Lee Stempniak from minor-league Worcester and Stempniak made his NHL debut Thursday.

Blues captain Dallas Drake got x-rays Thursday after suffering a bruised chest on a big hit delivered the night before against the Red Wings.

But Drake was back in the lineup that night and didn't change his aggressive approach.

BlueNotes

The Blues had a no-frills approach to their home opener festivities. They simply dimmed the lights, cranked up the music and announced the players, coaches and support staff before continuing on with the game.

Kitchen didn't seem too worried about having to yank new starting goaltender Patrick Lalime in the season opener Wednesday.

Lalime was pulled after allowing four goals on 24 shots in a 5-1 loss at Detroit.

"Patrick's a veteran," Kitchen said. "He's been in this situation before and he'll bounce back fine."

At least two of the four goals appeared to be of the "soft," or stoppable variety.

"I bet he would like to have a at least a couple of those back," Kitchen said. "It's his first game with his team where it counts; he probably had some nerves going on.

"He knows what went wrong and sometimes it's nice just to leave those veterans alone and they find their own way."

Rooting for the home team

Like several Blues players, Doug Weight is a big St. Louis Cardinals fans who wouldn't have minded seeing Game 2 against the Padres at Busch Stadium on Thursday.

"I'm going to have to hustle over, I've got good seats," Weight joked Thursday after the morning skate. "I'm going to wear my uniform over there."

On Thursday, the Blues showed a video with Cardinals outfielder So Taguchi urging the Blues on in Japanese.

Weight was more occupied with trying to solve the Red Wings.

"We chased our tail and we made them look a lot better than they are," Weight said of the 5-1 defeat the night before. "They're a great team with a great system and a lot of talent, but we face those teams every day."

Contact reporter Norm Sanders at [email protected] or 239-2454.[/b][/quote]
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Jackman might return next week
    By Jeremy Rutherford
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/06/2005

Blues defenseman Barret Jackman worked out on the ice by himself Thursday morning and reported that his slightly separated shoulder is feeling "better and better." Jackman, who suffered the injury Sept. 27 in an exhibition game against Dallas, is on the injured-reserve list, but he's eligible to come off when he's healthy.

Jackman has all but been ruled out of Saturday's game against San Jose, and it appears the earliest he could return is next week. The Blues host Chicago on Tuesday and Nashville on Oct. 15.

"Obviously people know me, I want to play as soon as possible," Jackman said. "But the team might be a little cautious. It's day-to-day right now, and we'll go from there. It's just a matter of getting it stronger, and the strength is coming back every day."

Blues coach Mike Kitchen says next week is a reasonable timetable for Jackman's return.

"I don't know if he'll be early next week," Kitchen said. "We'll have to check it out and see how he comes along. It'll be nice to get him back in the lineup."

Jackman said that it has been difficult watching the Blues play without him. "Being out for so long, and seeing the guys get back out there, and then feeling a loss like (Wednesday) night, it makes you want to get back out there," he said.

Osgood returns

Detroit goalie Chris Osgood was back at Savvis for the first time since 2004, when the Blues chose not to pick up his option and make Patrick Lalime their No. 1 goaltender.

Osgood was 31-25-8 with a 2.24 goals-against average in the 2003-04 season.

"I thought I had a pretty good year," he said. "Before the All-Star break, I went into about a week or two slump; (otherwise) I maybe would have had the best first 50 games of my career."

The Blues lost to San Jose 4-1 in the first round of the 2003-04 playoffs. Osgood played all five games, recording a 2.51 goals-against average and .890 save percentage.

"I don't know what happened in the playoffs," Osgood said. "We were playing well. It was just unfortunate that it happened."

Osgood, who signed a one-year, $900,000 deal to return to Detroit last offseason, is not in the Red Wings' lineup because of a pulled groin.

He said he holds no ill will against the Blues for dismissing him but added he was surprised by several of the club's moves.

"Pavol Demitra ... it kind of surprised me they didn't bring him back ... you need guys like that," Osgood said. "Obviously they're going in a different direction, so we'll see how it works." [/b][/quote]
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Good news. His shoulder worries me though. I'm afraid he has a chronic problem there. My shoulder is bad. It takes virtually for it to dislocate. Any kind of jarring. I hope I'm wrong.

Pavolina and Osgood are two ex-Blues I'll never miss.
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

QUOTE(TTB @ Oct 8 2005, 01:03 PM) Quoted post

Good news. His shoulder worries me though. I'm afraid he has a chronic problem there. My shoulder is bad. It takes virtually for it to dislocate. Any kind of jarring. I hope I'm wrong.

Pavolina and Osgood are two ex-Blues I'll never miss.
        [/b][/quote]

I agree 100%. This shoulder seems like it will haunt him the rest of his career.

Comment

Working...
        X