Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woman kicked off plane for sweet T Shirt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman kicked off plane for sweet T Shirt.

Do not insult our great and wise leader!

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3939788&nav=8faO

Woman kicked off flight in Reno over offensive shirt
    Oct 6, 2005, 03:42 PM EDT
    A Washington woman's flight home was stopped short in Reno, all because the message on the T-shirt she was wearing.

32-year-old Lorrie Heasley claims it's a freedom of speech privilege, but airline officials say it was about passenger comfort.

Heasley, "There are bigger problems in the country, I can't believe people can be so petty."

Heasley boarded her flight Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, headed for Portland, Oregon with a stopover in Reno. But when Southwest Airlines employees asked her to cover her shirt, her stop over became a stop off her flight.

"I was told that basically that I had to cover my shirt, or I was told if I cover the shirt I can basically stay on the plane."

So she covered the shirt, but during a nap while passengers were boarding in Reno the cover came off. And Southwest employees insisted, change the shirt, or change flights. "I didn't feel that I should have to change my shirt, because we live in the United States, and it's freedom of speech and it was based on the move "The Fockers", and I didn't think it should have offended anyone."

But it did.

The shirt had pictures of members of the Bush Administration, and a phrase based on the movie "Meet the Fockers," but with one crucial vowel changed.

It was enough to cause complaints from other passengers and it's a problem the airline has had to deal with before.

Beth Harbin, Southwest Airlines, "We do get it occasionally. What someone is wearing, what someone is reading, what someone might be saying and it's very much a judgment call. But when other customers become concerned we do have to become involved in that and see what we can do to make everyone as comfortable as we can."

Heasley says she wore the T-shirt as a gag, and wanted her parents, both Democrats, to see it when they picked her up at the airport.

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Marilee McInnis says the shirt became an issue after several passengers complained as they boarded.

McInnis says Southwest rules allow the airline to deny boarding to any passenger whose clothing is offensive. But American Civil Liberties Union officials say Heasley's T-shirt is "protected" political speech under the Constitution.

And while Southwest may have kept the peace on it's afternoon hop to Portland, a woman, not afraid to use her freedom of speech will now be using her freedom of choice.

"I most likely wont be flying Southwest Airlines again after this."

Southwest Airlines told Heasley she could take a different flight home if she changed her shirt. She refused and opted to rent a car and drive home.

Heasley says she plans to press a civil-rights complaint against the airline over Tuesday's action at Reno-Tahoe International Airport.
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.---Socrates
    A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.---Plato

Why the fuck would anyone have a problem with that?
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

That's just a lack of common sense. I would have expected the same thing if all her shirt said was "Fock." With the crucial vowel changed, of course.
      Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 7 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

That's just a lack of common sense. I would have expected the same thing if all her shirt said was "Fock." With the crucial vowel changed, of course.
        [/b][/quote]

It's a term of endearment.
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Remind to self, never fly wearing any FCUK clothing.

Comment

Funny t-shirt, dumb woman.

Comment

QUOTE(Weird_English_Guy @ Oct 7 2005, 04:28 PM) Quoted post

Remind to self, never fly wearing any FCUK clothing.
              [/b][/quote]
              or tommy, you know if you change all the letters, it could say sh*tty

Comment

Although I think this incident shouldn't have happened b/c she should wear what she wants....

I hope you didn't strain yourself digging for this....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

McInnis says Southwest rules allow the airline to deny boarding to any passenger whose clothing is offensive.[/b][/quote]

This quote is all that I needed to read. Big deal.. much ado about nothing. Show some common sense, people.

Comment

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 7 2005, 04:32 PM) Quoted post

Although I think this incident shouldn't have happened b/c she should wear what she wants....

[/b][/quote]

She should be able to wear a shirt on a plane with the word "fuck" on it? I disagree.
                      Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(dooz @ Oct 7 2005, 04:34 PM) Quoted post

McInnis says Southwest rules allow the airline to deny boarding to any passenger whose clothing is offensive.[/b][/quote]

This quote is all that I needed to read. Big deal.. much ado about nothing. Show some common sense, people.
                        [/b][/quote]

If only this would include people with mullets.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 7 2005, 04:36 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

She should be able to wear a shirt on a plane with the word "fuck" on it? I disagree.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          I thought it was 'Fock'?

If it violates SWA policy, then they should be able to do what they want on their end....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

What a hero.

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 7 2005, 04:38 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 7 2005, 04:36 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                              I thought it was 'Fock'?

If it violates SWA policy, then they should be able to do what they want on their end....
                              [/b][/quote]

Oh. I'm starting to think that's what I a lot of people posting think. The way I read it, the shirt said "fuckers"
                              Of course you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X