Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalchuk heading back to Russia

Kovalchuk heading back to Russia

The Atlanta Thrashers star has had enough of the stalled contract talks between himself and the team.

Sportsnet.ca -- Ilya Kovalchuk is packing his bags and heading home.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Thrashers all-star left wing is heading back to Russia and intends to play in the Russian Super League.

"It's my intention to go back to Russia on Sunday," Kovalchuk told the Journal. "I haven't heard from [Thrashers'] management. I don't know [what is going to happen]. If they call right now and offer something then maybe [a contract can be completed]. But otherwise I'm going back to Russia."

If Kovalchuk plays a game in Russia (starts Wednesday) it will essentially end any chance of him playing in the NHL this season. Any player who plays in Europe after the NHL season starts must clear waivers to return to his NHL team. Any of 29 teams could claim Kovalchuk, a virtual certainty, meaning the Thrashers would lose him.

Despite the ever-shrinking deadline, Atlanta general manager Don Waddell is still optimistic he can sign the restricted free agent.

"I'm confident that we're going to continue to negotiate and get a deal done," said Waddell.

It's believed Kovalchuk is looking for close to $7 million a season over five years while the Thrashers are offering $5.5 million.[/b][/quote]
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

"Worked for Datsyuk, it'll work for meh"
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

When Nash and Iginla got the contracts they got...I don't blame Kovalchuck for wanting a max deal...but at the same time, he needs to understand the Thrashers are in a bad position in these negotiations because the salary cap and max contract number is going to change next season, if you look at the contracts guys like Iginla, Pronger, Thornton, Nash got, they all accepted contracts that allowed for these changes, I guess Kovalchuk is not willing to do that...

I don't see why a 1 year 6 million dollar deal (or something in that range) shouldn't be a good enough offer to solve this problem in the short term...they can worry about the long term deal when the numbers are officially set in stone.
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

he'll be picking his nose in Russia

Comment

If he doesn't play in the US, it hurts the NHL as a whole. I hope Bettman called Don Waddell and told him to either sign him or trade him before it's too late.

Comment

Our *chuk for their *chuk.
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Oct 7 2005, 04:11 PM) Quoted post

Our *chuk for their *chuk.
              [/b][/quote]
              [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, rumors are that Checketts has a major hard-on for Kovalchuk...

So I hope that he does go back to Russia and the new ownership makes him a blockbuster offer next year. That would be sweet.
                To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

signs a 5 year deal for 33 million with Atlanta
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(Guppy @ Oct 7 2005, 09:58 PM) Quoted post
                    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

I had a hunch that would happen.