Rams vs Seahawks Pre game stuff - Martz sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams vs Seahawks Pre game stuff - Martz sick

Until the Seahawks actually beat us - they can't.

Seahawks-Rams: One year later, deflation lingers
    Seattle still in search of patch for memorable collapse

By DANNY O'NEIL
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- The anniversary isn't quite perfect.

It's one day earlier on the calendar, one game later on the schedule and two time zones away.

But when Seattle plays in St. Louis on Sunday, it will be nearly a year to the day since the Seahawks lost a 17-point lead in the final 6 minutes of the fourth quarter at Qwest Field, a game that changed the course of their season.

The past won't make a single play on Sunday, but it will cast a shadow. Sisyphus had his rock, the 2004 Seahawks had St. Louis. The Rams beat Seattle three times last season, none more damaging than that overtime game on Oct. 10 in Week 5.

"It's still lingering," quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said during training camp. "People are still talking about it."

It showed some of Seattle's flaws. A propensity to give up a big play on defense. An inability to close out a victory. And then a lack of communication on defense that led to a sideline confrontation between linebackers Orlando Huff and Anthony Simmons.

It wasn't the only time Seattle lost a game it should have won, but it became the most memorable. It was decided when Shaun McDonald caught a pass behind Seattle's secondary and Terreal Bierria futilely chased him. In many minds, the Seahawks are still playing catch-up.

"We blew a number of games we should have won defensively," defensive end Grant Wistrom said. "It all goes back to that first game when we lost and people like to make a bigger deal out of it than it was."

That's why so many questions thrown at players and coaches this week have been more about psychology than scouting reports, more about the mindset than mechanics, while the players insist there is a blank slate.

"Those were two different teams last year," center Robbie Tobeck said. "It's a new season, a new team. Yeah, we have a history with these guys, (but) they can't sit here and say, 'Well, we did it last year, so we'll be able to do it this year.' And we can't sit here and assume that we'll be able to get it done."

Of the 11 defensive starters for Seattle that game, only three remain starters. Half of the defensive players on the roster are new.

The changes have gone deeper than personnel, too. There's been an attempt to change the personality.

On defense, Huff and Simmons went head-to-head on the sideline after Huff failed to pick up a defensive check in the first half on a play that produced the first touchdown against Seattle in 11 quarters. Simmons chastised Huff, who responded with a one-handed shove into Simmons' shoulder pads. They were separated by teammates.

Both of those linebackers are gone, part of an overhaul at the position. Club president Tim Ruskell said that upon meeting with the defensive coaches on his arrival, the priorities were set to find a middle linebacker who could quarterback the defense. The Seahawks got one in rookie Lofa Tatupu, the second-round pick who had 10 tackles and a sack on Sunday at Washington.

"Lofa kind of represents our defense in a way," coach Mike Holmgren said. "He's new. He's young. He's athletic. He makes a mistake now and then, but he makes up for a lot of stuff with how hard he plays. That's kind of our defense, and I think as he grows up, they'll grow up."

Even amid a fresh start, there is a history hanging in the background. Holmgren was asked Wednesday if the losses to St. Louis left a residue.

"Other than the fact that everyone should be a little angry about the whole thing, no," Holmgren said.

Not 15 minutes later, he explained that he watched the videotape of last season's defeats by himself on Tuesday and then went to talk to his coaching staff.

"I was afraid I was going to break furniture and throw the monitor out the window," Holmgren said. "It's just hard because we had our chances and we didn't capitalize."

It wasn't just that first loss to the Rams. Thirty-five days later, the Seahawks lost by nine points in a game that started with Shaun Alexander and Hasselbeck colliding on the first play. Hasselbeck hurt his leg. In the second half, Alexander fumbled away the ball at the end of a 35-yard run.

Then the playoff loss, which ended with Hasselbeck's sidearm rocket going off the hands of Bobby Engram in the end zone, capping a season in which the Seahawks never did manage to hang on and beat St. Louis.

SEAHAWKS AT RAMS

WHEN/WHERE: Sunday, 10 a.m., Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis

• TV/RADIO: KCPQ/13; KIRO-AM/710
Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Down with the Seachickens.

Rams-28
    Chickens- 20

Comment

QUOTE(GreatestShow99 @ Oct 7 2005, 01:07 PM) Quoted post

Rams-28
      Chickens- 20
      [/b][/quote]

What the hell?

Greatest show actually thinks a STL team will win?

If I had a bookie, I'd bet big on the seahawks
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 7 2005, 01:43 PM) Quoted post

Rams-28
        Chickens- 20
        [/b][/quote]

What the hell?

[/b][/quote]

Regular season means 0. The playoffs, however, I'm pessimistic.

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 7 2005, 01:43 PM) Quoted post

Rams-28
          Chickens- 20
          [/b][/quote]

What the hell?

[/b][/quote]
          The Seahawks are down their top 2 WR btw.

Comment

The Rams beat Seattle three times last season, none more damaging than that overtime game on Oct. 10 in Week 5.[/b][/quote]

Uhhh...really?

Comment

• Working...
              X