X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gagne: Dodgers owner needs to open up wallet

Gagne says Dodgers owner needs to open wallet
    ESPN.com news services

The Dodgers suffered through their second-worst season since they moved west from Brooklyn in 1958, and it's unclear what lies ahead.

Dodgers closer Eric Gagne, for one, hopes the future includes owner Frank McCourt spending more money.

"You need to add a 40-home-run guy and a guy who hits .310, that's two hitters," Gagne told The Los Angeles Times. "You need to re-sign Jeff Weaver, the innings he gives us are priceless.

"The Dodgers make money. The fans show up. You have to give back. As a business, you have to make money. But you have to take risk to make money and in baseball that means paying for players."

A season after winning their first NL West championship in nine years, the Dodgers were 71-91. It was manager Jim Tracy's first losing season with L.A., and the team's worst since 1992, when they went 63-99 under Hall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda.

Tracy and the Dodgers parted ways on Monday.

The Dodgers' payroll was just over $83 million for the 2005 season, and $13 million of that went to Darren Dreifort, who spent the entire season on the disabled list.

The Dodgers changed owners in February 2004, with McCourt buying them from News Corp.

When informed of Gagne's comments by The Times, McCourt said he was disappointed Gagne voiced his concerns in the media rather than talking to him directly. But he emphasized that he has given general manager Paul DePodesta permission to spend what it takes to make the Dodgers winners again.

"We want to win as much as Eric Gagne does," McCourt told the newspaper. "We will spend what it takes to win. I've said it over and over and over again, so all our fans hear it loud and clear."

Gagne, a free agent after the 2006 season, told the newspaper that if he doesn't see improvement next season, he won't hesitate to leave for another team.

"I close games; I can't save losses," Gagne told the newspaper. "I'll be in a situation in a year where I can choose a team that wants to win. I love the Dodgers and want to be a Dodger. I really like the McCourts and their attitude. I want them to know that they can make a lot of money by winning.

"We have resources for trades. We have a lot of money. This year, we didn't have the Dodger brand. They bought the brand and we have to put that back in the minds of fans and throughout baseball, that we are the Dodgers."

A big reason for the Dodgers' struggles was the loss of Gagne, who pitched in just 14 games before undergoing season-ending elbow surgery in June. He had saved 152 games the previous three seasons, but had just eight saves in 2005 before the surgery.

The Dodgers were decimated by many more injuries, too. Third baseman Jose Valentin, outfielders J.D. Drew, Milton Bradley and Jayson Werth, and shortstop Cesar Izturis missed extensive playing time after entering spring training as projected first-stringers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this reporrt.
    [/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I blame JD Drew
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

OK...

so the Dodgers sign Johnny Damon...

they wanna trade Milton Bradley...

would anyone give Marquis for Bradley? If not Bradley (who I'd assume would be the only guy the Dodgers would wanna move), what about Jayson Werth?
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

They'll be in on Konerko.
        Official Lounge Sponsor:
        Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
        The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
        Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 7 2005, 11:26 AM) Quoted post

OK...

so the Dodgers sign Johnny Damon...

they wanna trade Milton Bradley...

would anyone give Marquis for Bradley? If not Bradley (who I'd assume would be the only guy the Dodgers would wanna move), what about Jayson Werth?
          [/b][/quote]
          But the chemistry would be screwed....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I think I'd take Werth before I would gamble on Bradley blowing up again.
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

No thanks on Bradley.
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

The Dodgers spent enough money to be better than 71-91 in a very very very very weak West,but i`m sure the appreciate Gagnes perspective.
                "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 7 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

I blame JD Drew
                  [/b][/quote]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6117

Seems like after the contract, back to old form [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

J.D. Drew #7 | Right Field/Center Field | Los Angeles Dodgers
                  Height: 6-1 Weight: 200
                  Bats: L Throws: R
                  Born: Nov 20, 1975 - Valdosta, GA
                  College: Florida State
                  Draft: 1998 - 1st round (5th overall) by the St. Louis Cardinals

Avg HR RBI Runs SB
                  .286 15 36 48 1
                  Los Angeles Dodgers

15-day DL as of Jul 4, 2005 (Broken left wrist)

----------------------
                  Drew, who signed a $55 million, five-year contract, didn't play after breaking a wrist when he was hit by a pitch July 3. He missed 90 games.

``I'll be in great condition next spring,'' he promised last week.

Comment

i'd focus on trying to get Crawford.

I'm not sure I'd want to give up marquis though.
                    Are you on the list?

Comment

"You need to add a 40-home-run guy and a guy who hits .310, that's two hitters," Gagne told The Los Angeles Times. [/b][/quote]

"HI"
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

says the guy with the blowed up elbow
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

They'd be better off if they didn't have $20+ million on the DL in Drew and Gagne alone.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Lots of Gagne steroids rumors.
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

QUOTE(Payforfun @ Oct 7 2005, 11:36 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 7 2005, 11:02 AM) Quoted post

I blame JD Drew
                              [/b][/quote]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6117

Seems like after the contract, back to old form [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

J.D. Drew #7 | Right Field/Center Field | Los Angeles Dodgers
                              Height: 6-1 Weight: 200
                              Bats: L Throws: R
                              Born: Nov 20, 1975 - Valdosta, GA
                              College: Florida State
                              Draft: 1998 - 1st round (5th overall) by the St. Louis Cardinals

Avg HR RBI Runs SB
                              .286 15 36 48 1
                              Los Angeles Dodgers

15-day DL as of Jul 4, 2005 (Broken left wrist)

----------------------
                              Drew, who signed a $55 million, five-year contract, didn't play after breaking a wrist when he was hit by a pitch July 3. He missed 90 games.

``I'll be in great condition next spring,'' he promised last week.
                              [/b][/quote]

Yeah, same old stuff. Broken wrist? He shoulda played.
                              I'm always right.

Comment

Working...
                              X