X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuses - Excuses - Padres blame double plays on wet infield

By Chris Jenkins and Bill Center
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS October 6, 2005

ST. LOUIS – The pitcher was dehydrated. The infield wasn't.

We don't mean infield as in the first baseman, second basemen, et al. We mean the actual infield, specifically, the grass and the dirt.

The entire field at Busch Stadium never seemed to lose its dampness, to the point of sponginess, in the course of a Game 1 fully under warm sunshine Tuesday. It was hot enough that Cardinals starting pitcher Chris Carpenter left the game because of cramping, evidently caused by dehydration. Hmmmmm.

Carpenter thrice got out of trouble with double-play balls, and Mark Mulder, the Cardinals' starter today in Game 2, is a ground-ball pitcher when at his best.

Hmmmmm.

"It is not a fast infield," Cards second baseman Mark Grudzielanek said. "They replaced the grass after the All-Star break and it's taken a while to work itself out, that's all."

Well, maybe a little more watering will help.

The Padres expressed more disenchantment with the overhydrated outfield grass, but center fielder Dave Roberts also noted that the dirt near first base was "a big mud puddle."

By the way, if that outfield grass looks especially green on television, there's a reason. As if it weren't moist enough already, the grass got a fresh spray-coat of paint the night before Game 1.

Feisty Fick

Padres runner Robert Fick and Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols had a brief but animated exchange in the ninth inning Tuesday.

Fick had just singled to drive in the run that made it 8-5. The Cardinals tried to catch Fick napping off first on the throw to the plate.

"I told Pujols to save that stuff," Fick said. "... I let him know that I didn't like that and he let me know that he didn't care. I respect that."

After the game, Fick said he told Pujols, "I guess you might have needed that out."

"We're cool," Fick said. "I respect the heck out of Pujols. He's one of the game's greats. We're both competitors."

Long wait over

Between them, these two Padres veterans have played major league baseball for more than two decades. Tuesday, each played his first postseason game, in the same infield.

It took third baseman Joe Randa nearly 11 years and second baseman Mark Loretta exactly 10 years and 11 days to make their playoff debuts. In fact, Randa was No. 3 on the list of active players in terms of service time without postseason experience and Loretta was No. 9.

"Everything about it was so much more intense, the focus level so high, every moment," Loretta said after the 8-5 loss. "I'm actually drained right now."

Loretta played the first eight years of his career with Milwaukee. Randa, although spending a vast majority of his career with Kansas City, also played for Detroit, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Reds traded him to San Diego on July 21.

"I've had difficult years, yeah, and this helps you forget about them," Randa said. "It just shows you, once again, that this game is not easy. It's not easy to win a championship. It's not easy to get into position to win a championship."

Once you get there, it doesn't get any easier, either. Randa and Loretta both hit into double plays in their first postseason at-bats.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I fell into some last minute tickets and thought the same thing when I first saw the field. It was definitely watered down. A wet field didn't K their batter in the eight with the bases loaded or cause their starter to walk home a run. JJ.

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

1) Hit the ball in the air and you won't have to worry about the infield.

2) Home field advantage sucks, don't it?

3) Did they water the infield in between every inning of Game 1? Because, if they didn't, the grass would have dried up quickly after the water was applied.

Here's an idea: Give the better team credit for doing what it takes to win instead of acting like the Cardinals are a .500 team that parely made the playoffs.

Comment

When I first got to the game, I couldn't believe how muddy the infield looked. I turned to my friend and said that the ground crew had obviously overly soaked the infield. No big deal though. The conditions are the same for both teams.
        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

QUOTE(FAR52 @ Oct 7 2005, 08:18 AM) Quoted post

When I first got to the game, I couldn't believe how muddy the infield looked. I turned to my friend and said that the ground crew had obviously overly soaked the infield. No big deal though. The conditions are the same for both teams.
          [/b][/quote]

I had the same impression. No question it was wetter than normal, and I noticed the ground crew adding a little extra dirt to the "fair" half of the basepath between home and 3rd base - I suppose that would cause a bunted ball right down the line to roll foul. I liked the timing though - since BP was over, any testing of the angle of the baselines by the Padres during BP would have been wasted.

Of course, the field wasn't nearly as wet yesterday, yet we turned 4 DP's in Game Two. Perhaps if the field had been a little wetter yesterday, Greene doesn't boot the DP ball that led to our first two runs. The Padres need to quit whining about the field though - if they want to make Petco's infield as hard as a parking lot, it's their right.

Comment

Friggin' hilarious.

I'd like to see these 2 clowns come in and try to grow grass in STL during a drought summer. They've resodded and sprayed the grass green every year since they removed the astroturf.

Comment

I'm thinking we should have painted the vistors' locker room and cut off about five feet from their dugout bench just prior to game one. And taken the doors off the locker room stalls.

Moon

Comment

QUOTE(Moon Man @ Oct 7 2005, 09:05 AM) Quoted post

I'm thinking we should have painted the vistors' locker room and cut off about five feet from their dugout bench just prior to game one. And taken the doors off the locker room stalls.

Moon
                [/b][/quote]
                No shit, Tony needs to get Scotty Bowman in here.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I don't get what Fick was whining about...

Comment

QUOTE(backstop @ Oct 7 2005, 09:25 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Apparently we were supposed to apologize for trying to pick him off on the Molina/Pujols throw-behind play (that we've used several times successfully this year). Looks like "trick plays" are unfair in Fick's world. What's next - apologizing for fooling him and getting him to roll over the pitch if we throw a 3-1 changeup instead of a fastball?

Comment

QUOTE(Stan_Papi @ Oct 7 2005, 08:29 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Apparently we were supposed to apologize for trying to pick him off on the Molina/Pujols throw-behind play (that we've used several times successfully this year). Looks like "trick plays" are unfair in Fick's world. What's next - apologizing for fooling him and getting him to roll over the pitch if we throw a 3-1 changeup instead of a fastball?
                      [/b][/quote]

I love the part where Albert told him he didn't care.
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 7 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

"... I let him know that I didn't like that and he let me know that he didn't care."[/b][/quote]

That's pretty much what I imagine Albert saying in that situation...

Comment

QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Oct 7 2005, 09:32 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
                          before I got to what Albert said, I was thinking to myself that I would have told that dude that I don't care what he thinks.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

So the Padres have lost 2 games now because the field was too wet. What's that old saying about excuses and assholes.......?
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Oh. How dry was the field we were playing on?

Comment

Working...
                              X