Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards 2004 vs Cards 2005

Like:

While Carpenter wasn't dominate yesterday he pitched 6 three hit shutout innings. Today Mulder was just as good going 6 2/3 and giving up a one run. Lots of ground balls. This is what Mulder was signed for. The Cardinals have become a perenniel playoff team. So I think we need to judge these guys on the postseason. This is exactly what everyone wanted when Mulder was signed. We did not have two guys like this in last years playoffs.

Don't like:

This bullpen is an absolute disaster. Last year we could count on Kline and King to dominate lefties. We could also count on Calero/Haren/Taveraz to be great as well. This season I still feel pretty confident in Taveraz but the others guys are gone or not effective.

The same:

I think finally we have that formidable lineup back. We haven't seen it in 365 days because of injuries. Yeah, we miss Rolen but Reggie Sanders is a lot better this year. I never thought i'd say this but I think I like Eck and Grudz better than Womack and Renteria --- with the bat and in the field. But all in all, this lineup is very dangerous like last year. I'm talking today. Certainly it wasn't for most of the season.

Izzy. Well, he's going to scare the heck out of everyone but typically get the job done at the end of the day. He just needs to come in and throw strikes. He did a much better job of that today.

Why this is the year --- In my opinion this is the most complete team in the playoffs. Particularly if we can get one of our starters to take a key bullpen role.

Why it isn't -- until we can feel comfortable with a 3 run lead with two innings to go we will not make it past the NLCS.

The difference between last year and this year is the competition.

The offenses in the NL playoffs don't scare anyone - other than the Cards.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Oct 6 2005, 06:53 PM) Quoted post

This season I still feel pretty confident in Taveraz but the others guys are gone or not effective.
      [/b][/quote]
      He hit a guy with the bases loaded. I have no confidence in him. JJ.

Comment

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 6 2005, 07:17 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'm talking about greater things than just winning the National League.

Comment

QUOTE(jack jones @ Oct 6 2005, 07:27 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Oct 6 2005, 06:53 PM) Quoted post

This season I still feel pretty confident in Taveraz but the others guys are gone or not effective.
          [/b][/quote]
          He hit a guy with the bases loaded. I have no confidence in him. JJ.
          [/b][/quote]

That was bad and Julian can lose control from time to time --- but all in all, I think you can count on him. We've got to find someone else to count on as well. I wonder if one of the starters (Suppan, Morris, Marquis) would be good out of the pen. I have no clue. Maybe Tony doesn't either. But the bullpen as is aint gonna cut it.

Comment

I feel good about this team.

Comment

I really feel like we are so good at manufacturing runs this season. This is much more reliable than waiting on homeruns and doubles. That's what winning teams do when they face tough pitching in the playoffs.

Comment

At least Flores did his job. That K could have been a homer to tie the game. JJ.

Comment

Out of all the teams in the playoffs, to me the ChiSox are the most balanced. Power, Speed, Pitching both starting and relieving. However they're offense hasnt been solid all season, the playoffs show different. They are underlooked.

Comment

QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Oct 6 2005, 07:40 PM) Quoted post
                    QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 6 2005, 07:17 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

I'm talking about greater things than just winning the National League.
                    [/b][/quote]

Two things -

Right now there is no greater thing than winning the NLDS - then the NLCS if we are so lucky to do so.

Second - last year the best team in the WS lost.
                    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Our lineup is weaker than it was last season. Replacing Rolen, Renteria and Womack with Nunez, Eckstein and Grudzielanek means we have less pop in the lineup. Also, there's less speed with Renteria and Womack gone and the left-side defense doesn't cover as much ground with Rolen and Renteria gone.

By the same token, I think our lineup might be a bit more resourceful than it was last seaosn. Because of all the guys the Cards had last season, TLR was content to just let them hit. But with Rolen hurt, less power at short, and all the injuries in midseason, this team learned how to manufacture runs without timely hits. We saw that today. That's an important thing. I don't think the Cardinals offense will shut down like it did in the World Series with this ability to manufacture runs.

Our bullpen is undoubtedly weaker with King not consistently getting hitters out, Kline gone, and Tavarez a nut.

But the big difference between last season and this season is our starting pitching. Suppan and Morris (despite his late-season struggles) are both better now than they were heading into the playoffs last season, and Carpenter/Mulder at the top is much, much, MUCH better than we had last season with Woody Williams as the ace and no legit No. 2 guy.

Comment

I never thought I'd see "Womack" and "means we have less pop" in the same sentence.
                        The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

QUOTE(gibsongirl @ Oct 6 2005, 06:29 PM) Quoted post

I never thought I'd see "Womack" and "means we have less pop" in the same sentence.
                          [/b][/quote]
                          Well, I was just trying to combine all the players lost as one big collective entity, although I didn't include Matheny (and Molina to the new players group).

Comment

QUOTE(devaskar @ Oct 6 2005, 08:26 PM) Quoted post

Our lineup is weaker than it was last season. Replacing Rolen, Renteria and Womack with Nunez, Eckstein and Grudzielanek means we have less pop in the lineup. Also, there's less speed with Renteria and Womack gone and the left-side defense doesn't cover as much ground with Rolen and Renteria gone.

By the same token, I think our lineup might be a bit more resourceful than it was last seaosn. Because of all the guys the Cards had last season, TLR was content to just let them hit. But with Rolen hurt, less power at short, and all the injuries in midseason, this team learned how to manufacture runs without timely hits. We saw that today. That's an important thing. I don't think the Cardinals offense will shut down like it did in the World Series with this ability to manufacture runs.

Our bullpen is undoubtedly weaker with King not consistently getting hitters out, Kline gone, and Tavarez a nut.

But the big difference between last season and this season is our starting pitching. Suppan and Morris (despite his late-season struggles) are both better now than they were heading into the playoffs last season, and Carpenter/Mulder at the top is much, much, MUCH better than we had last season with Woody Williams as the ace and no legit No. 2 guy.
                            [/b][/quote]

I mostly agree with that.

At the time, I didn't like the idea of having Eckstein and Grudz over Womack and Renteria. I argued that we got the weaker end of that transformation. If you asked me right now if i'd trade back I think I'd say no. I think I was wrong. Eck defense hasn't been near the liability people thought it would be. His arm is pretty weak but I rarely see it effect the outcome of any play. Womack was better at second last year than he had been throughout his career but nowhere close to Grudz --- who has played like a gold glover all year.

Comment

At least Flores did his job. That K could have been a homer to tie the game. JJ.[/b][/quote]

Of course.

Welcome to the wonderful world of sports.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X