Virus question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus question

I got an email from paypal telling me that my account may have been hacked. The strange thing is i do not have an account with pay pal. also the address in the to line is not mine, but [email protected]. further more when i put my cursor over the link the following address comes up.

www.hoaianh.info

I was at work so i thought what the hell and clicked the link, but nothing happened.

Techy guys and gals, is this a virus? Have i been thefted? what is going on?

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

QUOTE(jhanke @ Oct 6 2005, 08:20 AM) Quoted post

I got an email from paypal telling me that my account may have been hacked. The strange thing is i do not have an account with pay pal. also the address in the to line is not mine, but [email protected]. further more when i put my cursor over the link the following address comes up.

www.hoaianh.info

I was at work so i thought what the hell and clicked the link, but nothing happened.

[/b][/quote]

I got one of those a while back.

They might've got me if they had sent it to the email in my paypal account, but it went to a newer addy so I was suspicious right away. When I got to the part where they wanted personal info, I treated it like a syphilis sore covered in leper spit. Nigerian cocksuckers.
    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Oct 6 2005, 07:20 AM) Quoted post

www.hoaianh.info

[/b][/quote]

This is a very common type of email now a days.

edit: Oh and its not a virus....sorry just realized that I didn't answer that question

They come in all forms banks, credit cards, ebay,.......a bunch of different ones.

THey are called Phishing scams

They serve 2 purposes 1 if you click the link they consider your email an active email and put you on a list of names that they sell to spammers. Secondly if you fill in the blanks you better start checking your credit card bills and maybe run a credit report because 9 times out of 10 there will be enough info taken off of that page to start identity theft.

www.snopes.com is a good site to check to see if it is a hoax or not.

Here is the write up on the paypal one:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/paypal.asp

Comment

QUOTE(beerismypal @ Oct 6 2005, 07:37 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(jhanke @ Oct 6 2005, 07:20 AM) Quoted post

www.hoaianh.info

[/b][/quote]

This is a very common type of email now a days.

edit: Oh and its not a virus....sorry just realized that I didn't answer that question

They come in all forms banks, credit cards, ebay,.......a bunch of different ones.

THey are called Phishing scams

They serve 2 purposes 1 if you click the link they consider your email an active email and put you on a list of names that they sell to spammers. Secondly if you fill in the blanks you better start checking your credit card bills and maybe run a credit report because 9 times out of 10 there will be enough info taken off of that page to start identity theft.

www.snopes.com is a good site to check to see if it is a hoax or not.

Here is the write up on the paypal one:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/paypal.asp
        [/b][/quote]
        Thanks think i will block them in my account then!

Comment

I got the same thing yesterday on my Yahoo e-mail. Dumbass me clicked the link and got the page cannot be found message. But the URL was www.hoaianh.info.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Hanke, no bank would send you a request for personal info via email. If you use on-line banking, make sure that you check your "message center" or whatever they call it periodically and report any email that you get pretending to be from your bank. The bank I was with a while ago had nutjob sending out phishing emails and so many people filled in their account info that the bank ended up having serious problems. They now have a link on their site to report phishing and no problems since.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Oct 6 2005, 09:03 AM) Quoted post

Hanke, no bank would send you a request for personal info via email. If you use on-line banking, make sure that you check your "message center" or whatever they call it periodically and report any email that you get pretending to be from your bank. The bank I was with a while ago had nutjob sending out phishing emails and so many people filled in their account info that the bank ended up having serious problems. They now have a link on their site to report phishing and no problems since.
              [/b][/quote]
              oh i did not give any info, i just clicked the url like a dumbass to report that it was not my account, as i don't have one there.

Comment

I get those frequently from various sources, and I do have a Paypal account.

The quickest way to see they are fake is to hover your mouse over the link to see what it really is. The it's probably different than the text. And it's certainly not www.paypal.com. One time it was www.paypal.service.com I think. That was clever. I can see how people who aren't computer savvy would be fooled by that one.
                "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(jhanke @ Oct 6 2005, 09:05 AM) Quoted post

QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Oct 6 2005, 09:03 AM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                  oh i did not give any info, i just clicked the url like a dumbass to report that it was not my account, as i don't have one there.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Then the worst thing that can happen is that they know that is a valid email address and will send you some spam.

Another thing to NOT do is when you get those emails that say to click somewhere to get off of their mailing list. Once you do that, then they know that is a valid address. Better off to delete the email and put the address into your spamblocker.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                  Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                  Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                  NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                  LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Working...
                  X