Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie: Mulder endorses mulligans..

Maybe huegy was right.

Mulder has acknowledged a failure to always be wired in mentally, and he admits to shrugging off his final two starts of the regular season. He was plastered for seven earned runs in 1 2/3 innings at Milwaukee, then came home to walk seven Cincinnati Reds in his final outing. This avid golfer obviously endorses the concept of mulligans.[/b][/quote]

The full article:

A week before Christmas 2004, Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty interrupted a family vacation to close a deal with Oakland GM Billy Beane. The Hawaiian sun, surf and Mai Tais could wait. Jocketty was dreaming of a lefthander.

Still consumed by the World Series skunking of two months earlier, still preoccupied with patching the rotation holes left exposed by the Boston Red Sox, Jocketty bartered two key pieces of the Cardinals' future to acquire the smooth-dealing Mark Mulder.

Gone from Jocketty's lean supply of prospects were Dan Haren's power arm, Daric Barton's line-drive bat and Kiko Calero's promise as a reliever. The organization obviously concluded that Mulder was worth the price. During the regular season, Mulder often displayed the cool-handed, cool-headed pitching that has sculpted the most wins (88) by a lefty starting pitcher since the beginning of the 2001 season.

At times, however, Mulder's easy-rider persona has left perplexed observers in the Busch seats and pressbox wondering if there's a direct link between his casual personality and periodic carelessness. Mulder had a 4.34 earned-run average before the All-Star break, but re-established his rhythm for a 2.77 ERA in the second half. It added up to a 16-8 record.

The transition from Oakland to St. Louis wasn't a snap for Mulder. There was a bit of a culture shock as he moved from the surf-camp vibe of the A's - "a good time," he called it - to manager Tony La Russa's old-school baseball academy in St. Louis.

"We have a veteran team," Mulder said. "That's a difference for me. I've been on a younger team that doesn't always know what's going on. This is a team that always knows what they're doing, how to prepare."

Mulder has acknowledged a failure to always be wired in mentally, and he admits to shrugging off his final two starts of the regular season. He was plastered for seven earned runs in 1 2/3 innings at Milwaukee, then came home to walk seven Cincinnati Reds in his final outing. This avid golfer obviously endorses the concept of mulligans.

But it's October, and Mulder has moved from the practice range to the fairways and greens. And for the Cardinals to prevail this month, Mulder must be a strong finisher.

Game 2 of the NLDS is at 3 p.m. today at Busch Stadium. Mulder has the ability, and the opportunity, to give the Cardinals a formidable 2-0 lead over the San Diego Padres.

Is Mulder ready?

"You can ask yourself that question and give yourself a better answer than I can give you," Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan said Wednesday. "We'll know tomorrow."

Mulder seemed amped when discussing the exhilaration of pitching in October.

"It's a great time of year, man," he said. "I know my first (postseason) experience in 2001, pitching Game 1 at Yankee Stadium . . . the first pitch I couldn't feel myself. You didn't know what you were doing, but there's a different (feeling). If you could take a postseason game into every regular-season game, I think it would be a big difference. I think a lot of pitchers try to, but it's tough. It's a different frame of mind. There's more focus. There's more concentration."

In that first postseason start, in the 2001 AL first-round series vs. New York, Mulder outpitched Roger Clemens and got the Game 1 victory for Oakland. Victimized in large part by shoddy defense, he took the loss in the decisive Game 5. In 2002, Mulder repeated the cycle: He conquered the Twins in Game 1 of the first round, then lost Game 5 despite allowing only two runs in seven innings. A hip injury prevented Mulder from appearing in the 2003 first-round series against Boston.

The Mulder postseason ledger: four starts, three quality starts, a 2-2 record, a 2.25 ERA, two losses in elimination games. But it has been three years since Mulder's last postseason start, and in that context, no one really knows what to expect. Tim Hudson, Mulder's former Oakland teammate, came up short for Atlanta vs. Houston in Game 1 of the NL first-round series, getting tagged for five earned runs in 6 2/3 innings.

And now another of Oakland's famed "Big Three" will make his postseason debut for a new team in that tingling October air. Once upon a time, Mulder took down the great Roger Clemens in a playoff game at Yankee Stadium. Today, all the Cardinals ask of him is to beat San Diego journeyman Pedro Astacio. This is Mark Mulder's moment, and Walt Jocketty's vision.[/b][/quote]
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

We'll see tomorrow. He's a southside Chicago guy and they can be 'cool' but when it's on the line, go very sweaty and nervous. I'm hoping he's the exception to the rule I'm all too familiar with.

Comment

You left out the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] k?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 6 2005, 12:56 AM) Quoted post

You left out the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] k?
        [/b][/quote]

It's getting 007. Getting old. K? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

This is a big game for MM. He needs to come up big. He needs to beat Astacio.

Jimmy needs another bomb, too.

Comment

Working...
          X