No announcement yet.

Niners Tag Peterson - Owens Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Niners also have signed Kevan Barlow to a new five-year contract. Seeing as he gained 1,000 yards even though he only started four games last year, I'm glad to see this because he would've been in position to cash in next year. And as a guy I used to play Madden 99 against, I'm happy for him. It probably means Garrison Hearst is definitely gone, unless he takes a major paycut. But Barlow has to be the guy in 2004.

As for Owens, whatever. The Niners need to do the same thing I've said the Rams need to do--philosophically shift toward defense and be an effeciency offense rather an a big-play offense. I would've bit the bullet on Owens and kept him after 2001 and 2002, but his play dropped significantly in 2003 that his attitude isn't worth the production anymore.

Finally, the LaVar Arrington contract is killing the 49ers. Arrington and Julian Peterson were both drafted in the same first round (2000) and Peterson has been far, far better the last two years. But the Redskins gave Arrington this gigantic contract and Peterson--quite rightly--wants to be paid as much or more.

Comment

I definitely dont think TO is worth the money, while a great receiver he does more to disrupt the team than he does to help it. Im glad they are letting him go.
      Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
      ---------------------------
      North County born and raised.
      ----------------------------
      Go Navy!
      http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
      (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

If T.O. plays like he did from 2000-2002, his antics don't disrupt anything. But if he plays like he did in 2003, it's not worth putting up with him.

Comment

Nontheless he is now searching for a team, and from the way it looks he is going to be paid the same as Laverneous Coles. He has ten times the talent as coles, but since he acts like a F'n jerk all the damn time, he is going to get less money.
          Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
          ---------------------------
          North County born and raised.
          Go Navy!
          http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
          (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

If Owens plays like he did in 2003, he's not as good a player as Coles is.

Comment

i'm glad we locked up barlow. i'm assuming this means the end of Garrison Hearst in SF. and extremely happy we tagged Peterson. much more important than TO.

dev.....you think they'll cut garcia?
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

With TO gone, I'm 50% of the way back on the road to being able to tolerate the 49ers again...

All that's left is to kill off their current fanbase in as inhumane a way as possible...clean slate...
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF@Feb 24 2004, 01:03 AM
                  With TO gone, I'm 50% of the way back on the road to being able to tolerate the 49ers again...

All that's left is to kill off their current fanbase in as inhumane a way as possible...clean slate...
                  I better not be in that fanbase...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by bigJOE@Feb 23 2004, 10:49 PM
                    i'm glad we locked up barlow. i'm assuming this means the end of Garrison Hearst in SF. and extremely happy we tagged Peterson. much more important than TO.

dev.....you think they'll cut garcia?
                    They want to bring back Hearst because he's one of the most popular teammates but, obviously, he'll have to take a huge salary cut for that to happen.

I think they'll work something out with Garcia at the last minute.

Comment

I'm really on the fence aboot keeping Garcia...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

They can't keep Garcia at his current number...but they also can't go into 2004 with Tim Rattay as their quarterback.

If they let Garcia go, they have to be in the Rivers or Henson derby. I would've loved to have seen them get A.J. Feeley, but he's no longer an option.

Comment

would the Niners be intersted in Drew Henson??
                          \'user\'user\'user
                          Sponsor of Mee-Shay, Dante Culpepper & Marian Gaborik
                          proud sponsor of ball-magnet

Comment

Does Eckerson have any interest in Warner.
                            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

When did AJ Feeley become a commodity?
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                              X