Peavy says it's a flesh wound - see you in game 4 or 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavy says it's a flesh wound - see you in game 4 or 5

Padres ace optimistic he can pitch with broken rib By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    October 5, 2005 ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Jake Peavy is optimistic he can pitch again with a broken rib if the San Diego Padres get to Game 4 of their NL division series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

``I wouldn't rule it out,'' Peavy said Wednesday. ``We've got a great medical staff taking a look at all of our options, and I feel like we've got some pretty good options that we can take advantage of.

``Hopefully, those can make me feel a whole lot better than I feel right now and I'll get back out there.''

The Padres' ace said team doctors are considering a numbing injection into the break, on his right side. Peavy, who led the NL in strikeouts while going 13-7 with a 2.88 ERA, said doctors believe his start in Game 1 worsened a rib injury sustained during San Diego's on-field celebration after clinching the NL West title last week. But he said the doctors do not think he began the game with a broken rib.

Manager Bruce Bochy said he hadn't been aware of the injury, although Peavy said the team doctors knew. In the days before the playoffs started, Peavy was confident the injury would not hinder him.

``Honestly, this was a non-issue,'' Peavy said. ``I felt like it was going to be no problem, as well as the whole staff. It wasn't even on the medical report.

``That's how insignificant we thought it was.''

For now, Bochy has slotted Adam Eaton (11-5) for Game 4. Eaton had been the choice for a possible Game 5, but Bochy said that now would be determined later.

Bochy said Peavy's injury should not affect the team's mind-set.

``He's not pitching tomorrow or the following day, so that's behind us,'' Bochy said. ``We've got to keep pushing. We've had to deal with injuries, numerous injuries throughout the season, and the club's done a great job of not dwelling on it, and they won't on this one.''

Peavy wasn't sure when he broke the rib, although he said the best guess would be on his third-inning, bases-loaded wild pitch when his spikes caught on the rubber and the pitch didn't even make it to the dirt in front of home plate. In any case, he wasn't using it as an excuse for lasting only 4 1-3 innings and giving up all the runs in an 8-5 loss.

``I didn't know the extent of the injury until I came out of the game,'' Peavy said. ``Up until the last pitch I was telling myself I was capable of making pitches.

``Obviously, I wasn't and I didn't.''

Bochy said he thought Peavy threw well before the fifth, calling the Cardinals' three-run third ``buzzard luck.'' Still, he hoped Peavy learned from this experience.

``It's one thing to be a competitor or a warrior, but there's a fine line between being a warrior and hurting a ballclub and Jake has to realize that,'' Bochy said. ``You have to draw the line at some point where you're getting to the point of diminishing returns, sending a player out there who can't perform close to his capabilities.''

Peavy said if he knew the injury was that serious, he would have said something. He said he felt ``slowly worse and worse'' as the game progressed.

``But there for a little bit I felt I was capable of making good pitches,'' he said. ``It's real hard to start getting hit around and say you're hurt. That never looks good.'
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

How likely is it that team doctors would not tell the manager that his ace pitcher has a cracked rib?
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Sounds pretty fishy to me -

I think they got issues.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Let's solve everyone's problems by taking the series in 3. That way Peavy doesn't have to "play" Terrell Owens and "risk his career", Bochy doesn't have to make the decision whether to pitch Peavy or not, and Peavy gets 5 months to heal.
        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

If this guy comes out in a bloody shirt, we're in trouble.
          Official sponsor of the phrase: "This post is useless without pics."

Comment

QUOTE(alter ego @ Oct 5 2005, 07:27 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
            [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/roll2.gif[/img]

'Tis but a flesh wound!

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

<<<>>>

Fucking "buzzard luck" Bruce?? Good God.
              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
              --Suck it cubbies.
              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

See what Schilling has started?
                "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Bochy said Peavy's injury should not affect the team's mind-set.[/b][/quote]

So you went into Game One knowing that you had no hope as opposed to slightly little hope?

Comment

Bullshit.
                    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

QUOTE(alter ego @ Oct 5 2005, 08:27 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

Comment

He won't have a chance, this series will be over in 3. Hopefully. If the bullpen holds up. God I hope it's over in 3 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        I got nothin....
                        I made a website, STLsportspulse.com. Yippeee!

Comment

sure........let him pitch........he did a bang up job the first time with this injury. i'm sure it's tons better now [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
                          Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Give him the ball Saturday. Bring it on.

Comment

Buzzards eat dead things. I guess Bochy feels his team is dead.

I pity the pods. I fart in their general direction.
                              Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X