Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martz Has heart Infection

ESPN

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz said the infection that hospitalized him late last week involves his heart and is getting worse.

He said he expects to miss practice the next two days.

"I haven't been feeling good for four or five weeks and there is some type of infection in my body that has gotten worse," Martz said during a conference call with Seattle reporters. "They think they've identified what it is."

Martz. 54, said doctors believe he has endocarditis, a bacterial infection of the heart's inner lining or the heart valve. Martz will be undergoing a series of blood cultures over the next week to confirm that is the infection. If caught early, treatment is done through a series of antibiotics taken over a long period of time, Martz said.

Martz was hospitalized Friday with what doctors believed was a sinus infection. He was released on Saturday and coached the Rams in their 44-24 loss to the New York Giants. Martz said he would continue to do some scripting and game planning in the morning the next few days, but planned to go home before practice begins.

Joe Vitt, the assistant head coach and linebackers coach, ran practice last week in Martz's absence.

"This is something that if you let it go, it could become a real issue," Martz said. "They feel very confident that's what it is, but they have to confirm it."

Earlier this year, Martz underwent back surgery, and said fatigue has been the most noticeable symptom of the infection.

"I can't explain to you the fatigue," Martz said. "You feel really good and then in the course of a couple hours you hit rock bottom."

Martz joined the Rams as offensive coordinator in 1999, and his high-powered offense led St. Louis to its first Super Bowl title that season. He became head coach following Dick Vermeil's retirement days after the Super Bowl.

Now in his sixth season, Martz is 56-35 including the postseason. The Rams have missed the playoffs just once in his tenure (2002) and reached the Super Bowl after the 2001 season, losing 20-17 to New England.

The Rams (2-2) are tied with Seattle for first place in the NFC West. Coincidentally, Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes missed Seattle's season opener in Jacksonville after suffering a mild stroke and did not fully return to his duties until last week.

"I'm going to be very careful with this," Martz said.[/b][/quote]
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

That's serious stuff when it comes to the heart.

I've bashed him quite a bit over the last couple of years, but I hope he makes quick recovery.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 5 2005, 02:23 PM) Quoted post

I've bashed him quite a bit over the last couple of years, but I hope he makes quick recovery.
      [/b][/quote]

Me too. I can't stand him as a coach, but that doesn't mean I want to see bad stuff healthwise happen to him.

Hope he's ok.

Comment

I wish him the very best and speedy recovery possible.

Endocarditis rarely effects those with healthy hearts, does Mike have a history of Heart Disease?
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Isnt this similar to what Cal Eldred had?
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

I hope he's OK, but I'm seriously interested in the thought of him sitting a week or two out.....
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 5 2005, 03:23 PM) Quoted post

I've bashed him quite a bit over the last couple of years, but I hope it forces him to be demoted to offensive coordinator.
              [/b][/quote]
              Fixed
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

As upset as I am about his gametime coaching, reassignment to offensive coordinator is enough for me (knowing that couldn't really work). So I hope for a speedy Martz recovery.
                No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

QUOTE(Ohio Blues @ Oct 5 2005, 03:25 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 5 2005, 03:23 PM) Quoted post

I've bashed him quite a bit over the last couple of years, but I hope it forces him to be demoted to offensive coordinator.
                  [/b][/quote]
                  Fixed
                  [/b][/quote]

Damnit you scooped me.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                  No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true

I'm a war president

Comment

Martz. 54, said doctors believe he has endocarditis[/b][/quote]

They'll fix that.

Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well.

Comment

apparently during his illness, he was running a high fever.

This caused hallucinations, which led to him blurting out things like "let's run an reverse on the 6 yard line" and "Saipaia can play TE"
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Mike,

Some advice ... retire. Health is nothing to mess with.

Speedy Recovery,

All Real Rams Fans

Comment

from Bernie

sorry I'm slow to report on this, but I'm at Busch Stadium today, tending to off-day interviews in preparation of writing for tomorrow's column.

Here's the deal on Martz:

First, a statement from him:

“I have been ill for four or five weeks. Our medical staff is in the process of evaluating a number of diagnostic tests to determine the cause. Dr. (Doug) Pogue suspects a bacterial infection of a heart valve called endocarditis. This can’t be confirmed for a number of days until a series of blood tests are concluded. Diagnosed early, this can be treated through a lengthy series of antibiotics with full recovery.

“However, this infection causes a great deal of fatigue and is somewhat debilitating. Consequently, I will limit my work day as much as possible until I can start to recover. I will not be at practice Wednesday or Thursday. Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt will act on my behalf when I am unavailable.”

As of right now, Martz definitely plans to coach vs. Seattle on Sunday....that is his intention.... I also know the doctors are warning him to take this seriously -- they've been on his case for a few weeks, telling him he needs more rest. But Martz works 18-hour days (at least). I think he's sufficiently worried now.

I know a lot of people in town hate this guy because he doesn't coach in a way that pleases them, but I hope he gets well, because he's a good guy with a family who loves him.

--B[/b][/quote]

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 5 2005, 04:19 PM) Quoted post

from Bernie

sorry I'm slow to report on this, but I'm at Busch Stadium today, tending to off-day interviews in preparation of writing for tomorrow's column.

Here's the deal on Martz:

First, a statement from him:

“I have been ill for four or five weeks. Our medical staff is in the process of evaluating a number of diagnostic tests to determine the cause. Dr. (Doug) Pogue suspects a bacterial infection of a heart valve called endocarditis. This can’t be confirmed for a number of days until a series of blood tests are concluded. Diagnosed early, this can be treated through a lengthy series of antibiotics with full recovery.

“However, this infection causes a great deal of fatigue and is somewhat debilitating. Consequently, I will limit my work day as much as possible until I can start to recover. I will not be at practice Wednesday or Thursday. Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt will act on my behalf when I am unavailable.”

As of right now, Martz definitely plans to coach vs. Seattle on Sunday....that is his intention.... I also know the doctors are warning him to take this seriously -- they've been on his case for a few weeks, telling him he needs more rest. But Martz works 18-hour days (at least). I think he's sufficiently worried now.

I know a lot of people in town hate this guy because he doesn't coach worth a shit at game time, but I hope he gets well, because he's a good guy with a family who loves him.

--B[/b][/quote]
                            [/b][/quote]

I noticed a typo

I'm a war president

Comment

QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 5 2005, 03:19 PM) Quoted post

from Bernie

I'm a fat fuck.

--B[/b][/quote]
                              [/b][/quote]

fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X