X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA players aren't happy w/ proposed dress code

Proposed dress code doesn't suit some NBA players
    ESPN.com news services

The idea of an off-the-court dress code isn't sitting well with some NBA players.

Though it hasn't been finalized yet, players have been warned a dress code likely will be instituted this season for team functions. Players will have to wear business casual clothes -- such as a sport coat and slacks -- for all team affairs. Commissioner David Stern told The Boston Globe that the dress code would exclude jeans.

Team functions would include team flights, traveling to and from games and at public appearances. The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported the dress code would be backed up by NBA fines.

"The dress code is, to me, a continuation of things," Stern told The Globe. "It's a small thing that contributes to a sense of professionalism. It's what the job entails. We've always moved to the fashion of our players. Years ago, the fashion was a jacket and tie. Now, it's a much more casual approach. But our referees are always attired a certain way based upon their job description when they come into the building. Our coaches are attired a certain way when they come on the court. We decided that it was time [for the players]."

The Hawks' Josh Childress is one of the players who thinks the NBA is "taking this thing too far."

"I understand where they're coming from. We all need to be neat and professional. But to ask us to wear suits everywhere, even at a hotel at 2 a.m. I think that's a bit much," Childress told the Journal-Constitution.

Allen Iverson told The Philadelphia Daily News he will fight any new dress code.

"I dress to make myself comfortable," Iverson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I really do have a problem with it. ... It's just not right. It's something I'll fight for."

Childress told the Journal-Constitution that a dress code is something that should be phased in gradually.

"Listen, if they wanted to do this thing gradually I could understand that," Childress told the newspaper. "Say you want us to wear slacks and a shirt this year, and then next year add jackets and whatever. But to do it all at once is just more than I think is necessary, to just jump up and say wear suits or you get fined is nuts."

Players union president Antonio Davis told USA Today the union wouldn't be opposed to a dress code, but even he was only willing to go so far.

"I don't think it's fair for them to tell you exactly how to dress," Davis told the newspaper. "You can't say no jeans. I've seen businessmen in jeans, a sports coat and nice shirt, and you say that's classy."[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

huge surprise that iverson would fight this. he always looks so professional in interviews in the past.
    Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

When does the race card get played?

My bet is later this afternoon.
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 5 2005, 01:51 PM) Quoted post
        When does the race card get played?

My bet is later this afternoon. [/b][/quote]
        ++

Comment

"we want them to look professional, but we still want to make money off of their bad boy image"

Comment

Kobe's pissed because he'll have to wear his pants at the hotels now.

Comment

QUOTE(MsFunkay @ Oct 5 2005, 01:11 PM) Quoted post

"we want them to look professional, but we still want to make money off of their bad boy image"
              [/b][/quote]

++

Hypocrisy, thy name is nBa...
              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
              OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

I hope condoms are part of the code.
                Of course you do.

Comment

There are plenty of other jobs Iverson can do that don't have a dress code.
                  Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Oct 5 2005, 07:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

While I understand your point, I don't think it applies in this situation. I'm not sure that there are other jobs he could do.
                    Of course you do.

Comment

QUOTE(ShortHop @ Oct 5 2005, 08:09 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(BurnKU @ Oct 5 2005, 07:22 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

While I understand your point, I don't think it applies in this situation. I'm not sure that there are other jobs he could do.
                      [/b][/quote]

well at least and not have a dress code. for example a short order cook has to wear a uniform. same with a garbage truck man. most bus drivers have a uniform.
                      Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

i've never seen tim duncan in a suit

Comment

Allen Iverson is gonna "fight" for this. Get em Allen. I bet you can get some NBA dudes to march to D.C. for this one.

A.I. is responsible for one of my favorite quotes of all-time.

"Pratiss. We talkin' bout pratiss. Not a game. Pratiss."
                          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                          --Suck it cubbies.
                          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Comment

QUOTE(chs266s @ Oct 5 2005, 08:59 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
                              Nice. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
                              --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                              --Suck it cubbies.
                              --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X